Author Topic: boat wiring  (Read 1980 times)

Offline josefa

boat wiring
« on: June 29, 2007, 02:07:26 PM »
I bought a Coleman portable generator for use on my boat. When I plugged it into the external power plug on the side of the boat, I got a reverse polarity warning light on the boat main breaker panel. All the equipment on board works except for the boat battery charger. Why is this? What can I do to correct this problem?

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: boat wiring
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 02:46:38 PM »
Welcome to the site Jose..

Hang tight..  the boys will be here soon ;D

From what I know about reverse polarity   Somewhere in the system the black and white (neutral) wires are not on the same leg as ..  the generator..  Home depot and many hardware stores sell a simple plug that can check each outlet and let you know if it is reversed . then simply fixed by swapping the black and white wires..

I think there will be someone here that can get to the bottom of this.

Hang tight.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 05:25:26 PM by Hotrod »

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 03:07:26 PM »
Hi Jose,

Like Rod mentioned there are plenty of guys that can help you out in the mean time Rod mentioned to pick up a circuit line tester, you plug it into your generator and it will tell you weather the generator is right or your wiring on the boat is backwards.  These can be picked up at any store like Lowes or Home Depot.

While you are there also pick up a carbon monoxide alarm and hook it up before you use the generator.  The fumes can kill you without you being aware of it.

And oh yeah Welcome Aboard glad you are here. 

Happy Catching...

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 10:38:25 PM »
 welcome to the site,, 1st thing i would do is try to replicate the error your getting. does it do the same thing while hooked upto shore power? if not take the tester rod talked about and try it on the generator and confirm if that is proper. then move onto other items, tying to isolate the problem.

another thing to consider is if the generator is sufficient to provide enough constant power. some items, such as a battery charger have delicate boards to them, and do not like fluctuating power being supplied to them.

personally i would return the coleman and get a honda generator. i went through 3 of the colemans from home depot over a summer of weakfishing off 7bridges.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 10:55:11 PM »
Hi And welcome,

We need some more info.

1. What boat is it?
2. Do you have a wiring diagram from the owners manual?
3. What model Coleman? Does it have a wiring diagram you can post.

Obviously 2 leads are reversed. Have you had work done to it? Does it work when you plug in from shore power? What kind of chord is used?

Many questions to just WAG ...

Thanks,

Capt. Ed

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-