Author Topic: Corroded wire! was the problem  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
Corroded wire! was the problem
« on: July 29, 2009, 07:18:56 PM »
I am posting this hoping to help someone in the future.   t^  I noticed my one year old Jensen Marine stereo radio was turning on and off a bit. 5hrug  The next time I used it it came on and then was dead for the rest of the day. When I installed it last year I used 14 gauge 2 conductor Marine grade wire direct to the fuse panel. I also used Marine connectors and double heat shrinked all the fittings. Plus I also use Marine grade corrosion proof grease to protect all screw on connectors.

I tested the 12 volt feed terminals that connect directly to the back of the radio and I had 12 volts on the meter. I also hit the reset button on the radio and had nothing. This told me that the radio was shot. :P
  I purchased the same radio and took it down to the marina and put the same connector from the old radio directly in back of the new one.
  NOTHING HAPPEND. I thought WHAT THE?

I took both radios home and bench tested the old one and it worked. nts nts :-\

Back to the boat I started continuity testing my power wires to the radio and found an open. I traced the pair of wires and found a small opening in the insulation on the positive wire. It was corroded on the inside. In a spot I could not see. It had enough copper to give me a little voltage on my meter but not enough copper left to start up the radio or give me continuity.

I made a repair and everything is okay now. I cannot believe how fast marine grade wire corrodes when a small nik in the wire is exposed to a saltwater environment.
   TT^
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 08:33:02 PM by Hunter 2 »
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Corroded wire! was the problem
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 07:45:44 PM »
Good info Eddie. Thanks for the heads up on the wiring and great to hear you were able to resolve the problem with nothing more than a little trouble shooting.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline striperdad

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 08:04:57 PM »
Electrical connections on a boat can definately be aggrivating to troubleshoot.  rgmn

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 09:03:59 PM »
Glad everything is ok now Ed.
Those electrical problems can be real pain, and time consuming. t^

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 10:11:45 PM »
Glad everything is ok now Ed.
Those electrical problems can be real pain, and time consuming. t^quote]

How true. And customer's complain when I tell them the same thing.  Matt.

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-