Author Topic: Transom Leak  (Read 2517 times)

Offline Last Call

Transom Leak
« on: April 15, 2010, 09:38:59 PM »
I noticed two bolts that are thru bolted swim platform support bolts that were rusting inside the bilge.  I pulled the bolts and found some wet wood in the threads of the bolts.  What do can I treat the bolt holes to help stop any further water issues???

LAST CALL

Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies,....
Farewell and adieu to you ladies of Spain,....
For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston,....
And so nevermore shall we be seeing you again.

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
Re: Transom Leak
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 11:43:07 PM »
I would use 3M 5200 but hopefully 1 of our pros will have an answer also.  ;D
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 06:11:59 PM »
had that happen but my bolts didnt break off. Removed all bolts, 5200 on inside and epoxy filler on outside filling in  the bolt holes. sanded down smooth and topped again with 5200. no probs what so ever.
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 08:17:17 PM »
 How long do plan on keeping the boat? You may want to check your other thru hulls and any screws for securing your transducer. Once the water gets in it never really dries out. It will rot the wood core. Good news is if its only a small area you probably wont ever notice. Bad news is if it is a large area it will need to be repaired. I learned the hard way and came very close to dropping a new outboard in the middle of Barnegat Inlet when my transom cracked a few years ago. There are a few ways of checking how bad it may have gotten. You can get surveyor to take a moisture reading and give you an idea or you can drill a hole(only thru the gelcoat into the coring) a foot below the suspected problem area. If water comes out the hole you may have a problem. If its dry hit all holes  with 5200 and problem solved.  When my glass guy suggested I drill a hole I thought he was nuts,then he pointed out that I had already drilled 6 holes to mount my transducer.  If the repair is an area smaller that the whole transom its not that big of a job for a good glass guy. They just cut the gel coat back a little bit larger than the rot, dig out the mushey wood and replace with new coring and re gel coat. I do not claim to be a knowlogeable glass guy......I am however a guy that has paid a knowlegable glass guy lots of money over the years  ;D. Please feel free to pm or email me any questions and I can bounce them off him. Good luck and when in doubt 5200 the sh*t out it.

Offline Last Call

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 09:21:11 PM »
Thanks for the info!  I have a second hole below it about 4" and the wood looks/feels dry and I didn't find any wet wood in the threads of the bolt when I pulled it out.  Just an isolated issue?  I might drill a hole as described just to be safe......and remove any doubt.
LAST CALL

Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies,....
Farewell and adieu to you ladies of Spain,....
For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston,....
And so nevermore shall we be seeing you again.

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 06:33:04 AM »
Good to hear that the other hole is good. Sounds like just a very small area and no  real problem. Have a great season.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-