Author Topic: florida fly fishing  (Read 5740 times)

Offline robsrodnreel

• Robs Rod n Reel
florida fly fishing
« on: February 02, 2007, 07:11:27 PM »
the first week of october I will be on Captiva island in fla for my honeymoon.  anybody have any good info on the fly fishing down there. there isnt all that much that ive found on the internet. most of the info is for the keys..

Offline Capt. Ed

Re: florida fly fishing
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 12:46:35 AM »
Hi,

I have a house near Naples. I spend a lot of time in and around that area. I fish Pine Island Sound and also the Gulf throughout Sanibel and Captiva.

I have caught my share of reds, ladyfish, jacks, and seatrout. I have had no luck with tarpon, although they are there. I didn't target snook, although it is suppose to be good at night in that area.

I know there are some reputable guides in the area. I waded some waters; fished from the shore; and had access to a small boat. The boat was a help but not mandatory, especially around Sanibel.

I used very light tackle, including a 6 wt. fly rod. I brought Bob's bangers; surf candies; crab and shrimp flys; and clousers.

Don't forget to allow for some time to collect shells, especially if there is a storm before or during your stay. They are awesome!

October is a great time (may be the best) to be down there fishing. If you have a car, there are some other great areas as well.

If you are having trouble with finding information for Captiva/Sanibel/Pine Island Sound, you can also search on Ft. Meyers, Naples, 10,000 Islands or Marco Island. They are a bit south (1 hr.) but the same type of fishing.

I hope this helps and welcome to the board ...

Tight lines and have fun,

Capt. Ed

« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 12:51:04 AM by Capt. Ed »

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 02:07:54 PM »
got to love those fishing honeymoons ,I spent mine fishing as well in the bahamas,we chartered a boat one day and my wife got sun poisoning ,so I was able to fish the next couple days while she was in bed  ;D

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 03:41:57 PM »
Hi Robsrodnreel,

I found a bunch of sites that may help.

You can try http://www.sanibelcaptivafishing.com/ to start.

Have fun,

Capt. Ed

Offline robsrodnreel

• Robs Rod n Reel
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 04:08:08 PM »
thanks for the help ed.  yeah, i know ill be able to get away with one day if its a charter. but if i can wade fish while the wife is on the beach than ill be able to fish all week. hopefully the wade fishing is good haha...

Offline Hardcore

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 07:59:38 AM »
Rob,

Sorry, I don't know the SW portion of Florida all that well.  I am sure there are fly fishing opportunities there.  I would suggest you go to one of the local tackle shops and they usually will provide a wealth of local knowledge.  Don't forget your Saltwater Fishing License.  It is required as a non-resident even if you are wading.  Have fun......

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-