Author Topic: Fluke, fluke, fluke and more fluke but only one keeper!  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Bob

Fluke, fluke, fluke and more fluke but only one keeper!
« on: June 14, 2008, 11:12:27 PM »
Went looking for the big fish today as part of the JCAA Tourn. fishing deep and using big baits.  Started fishing at 7 in Ambrose trying to hook the one that did not fit in my net and got away last week.  The drift was ssllooww and required power drift.  Started at # 13 and drifted out to 4, only one bite but no fish.  Then headed over to the reef.  Hardly anybody there and the fluke also were missing.  After depositing some lead on parts of the reef I moved on to the rocks.  Tried several drifts in different locations but again "0" fluke.  By now I was getting a little discouraged and decided to move north by the beach to see if I could at least catch a throw back. Well, I found the mother load.  Got there at 1pm and put three rods in the water, well almost, never got the third set before both other rods were jumping.  This continued for three hours as I made the same drift over and over again. I had one 21.5 incher, three sea robbins, three skates, JCAA wanted us to report on the number and condition of the released fish during the Day7.  By four the radio was saying the storms are coming, raining in NYC. I headed in after a long day of dropping and reeling.  How did the others do.  I see Irish Eyes got a space.
Bob

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Fluke, fluke, fluke and more fluke but only one keeper!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 06:32:18 AM »
Great effort Bob. It was tuff today.

I was at the rocks, we caught a few keepers and some shorts there. Biggest there was the same as yours, 21 1/2.

I lucked out on my last drift off of Asbury and found two nice fish in a short time. Other than that, it was a tuff day of catching.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 07:21:25 AM »
It was a hard to find keepers for most of us out there, but what a great weather day. It was a little to nice.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Bob

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 07:24:19 AM »
Was a very tuff day till I found the fish but nothing of any size.  I was falling asleep at the computer so I see the report trails off at the end. I kept count as JCAA wanted and I caught 47 fluke. Many were last years keepers but only one went over 18.  I know it is early but if this continues it will be a very slow year.  Saw Luna Sea who passed me heading south along the beach.  Called them on the radio but no respose, hard to hear when you are moving.

Talked to several others at the dock and clean up, same story, maybe one or two fish many with none, settling for bluefish or sea bass. Fish and Wildlife was there checking fish.  He had some guy from PA who obviously was in trouble as the Officer was pulling the boaters wheeled cooler to his State vehicle so he could separate and count the fish which were illegal.  He even had his lunch cooler in hand.  The boater and his son seemed dismayed and kept asking how this was going to be resolved.  The Officer said, why don't you take your boat out and then come over to my truck, this is going to take awhile and bring your drivers license with you!  Assume the state Treasury will be helped, is that is possible.  I have an idea, the state should charge for radio checks, wait a minute, better not give them any revenue ideas.
Bob

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 07:28:39 AM »
Quote from: Bob link=topic=6832.msg66661#msg66661 date=1213529059
I have an idea, the state should charge for radio checks, wait a minute, better not give them any revenue ideas.
[/quote

rofla Would be a good money maker

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 07:29:26 AM »
wardens were in keyport also ,they checked my fish 2 times ,not many in the marina caught many fish it was a slow day for all

Offline salty pig

• the pig
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 08:21:40 AM »
Fluke dont like a certain depth ive been noticing ... Guys were catching them in 15ft last week  and 55 ft seems like they all over  but the bigger ones like deeper water ... Am i correct in my assumption? 5hrug
'

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 08:28:13 AM »
should be.. who has short, shorts... we have short, shorts..
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 09:21:50 AM »
My one and only keeper (20") yesterday came in 25' of water.

Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 10:01:08 AM »
Fluke dont like a certain depth ive been noticing ... Guys were catching them in 15ft last week  and 55 ft seems like they all over  but the bigger ones like deeper water ... Am i correct in my assumption? 5hrug
fluke move into differant depths during certian tide stages,learn and pattern them and you will increase your catchs ,everyone always says they stoped biting but they didnt they moved ,they always feed you just lost the pod of them .

Offline FINITALIA2

• 43.8lbs. 49in.
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 08:42:01 PM »
good effort

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-