Author Topic: How did you get your start in Fishing?  (Read 2495 times)

Offline Great American Fisherman

How did you get your start in Fishing?
« on: January 15, 2009, 07:06:59 PM »
I'm not sure if this has been done on here.  But here goes:

My start in Salt Water fishing was at the dock where Morrison's was in Beach Haven.  I was a little kid and was "adopted" by the old guys and they taught me how to fish.  I used to fish and crab as a child on Colorado Ave in Haven Beach each summer.  Also, my Mom's Aunt Mae lived in Point Beach.  So, going to the Wall was a common scene. 

As far as boats go, it was The Carolyn Ann III in Barnegat Light NJ and The White Star also in Barnegat Light.  To this day, I still fish on the Carolyn Ann.  After looking at Mel's Place I see the White Stat is a whale watching boat near Pebble Beach, California.

As far as fresh water fishing goes it was the North Branch of the Raritan River.  Those old guys caled me "young man".

These are great memories.  I'd assume some or all of those folks are gone now but if they can see this from the great beyond........  I thank you for the knowledge and patience and kindness.  Showing a little kid how to fish.  I hope they would be proud of me today.  I may not be the best or luckiest, I've never had a saltwater limit,  but I do alright.

Thanks in advance for your memories and thanks for reading mine.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: How did you get your start in Fishing?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 08:02:33 PM »
My grandfather had a house on the water in Manahawkin before I was born in which as I was born I would be down there every summer weekend and the entire month of July.  My parents bought the house when i was 5 and we continued going down there. 

I first started crabbing off the dock and on the boat. Then moved up to catching snapper blues, then so on and so forth. 

Needless to say, fishing and boating was breed into me for as far back as I can remember, and even before I can remember since some of the pictures I see of myself on a boat were as a infant.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: How did you get your start in Fishing?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 08:17:07 PM »
I started freshwater fishing before I can completely recall, as a 3 year old with my father.  I have the pictures to remind me of that.  My father taught me pretty much all of the basics.  He was an avid outdoorsmen back then!  I Spent many years freshwater fishing small ponds and lakes, especially a lake at a campground in Pomona, NJ that we would stay at all the time.  My father had a canoe and then an aluminum john boat and ultimately a fiberglass john boat that we would go out exploring in.  I also fished at a Lake around Bar Harbor, Maine in the summers where we would vacation with my family.  My grandfather had a boat that I spent many hours on fishing.

When I was 5 years old and in kindergarten, my parents allowed me to go out saltwater fishing.  I started out Bay and Ocean fishing on my godfather's boat that he had at the time.  He was my father's very close friend and fishing/hunting partner.  I spent many trips fishing for blues, fluke and stripers in the spring and summer.  We did this until my Uncle sold the boat and didn't get a replacement :'(!  Those were fun times in Barnegat Bay and out front along the Ocean/Monmouth County Shores.

After that, we started Surf and Shore/Jetty Fishing saltwater and that became a main focus over freshwater.  I would go with my Uncle, my father and cousins.  My Uncle knew his saltwater and surf fishing, since he was raised in a B&T in Seaside Park.  Of course, we crabbed as well, not only from piers, but walking the flats and spotlighting those tasty buggers at night!  As a teen I fished the Bays and spent many, many nights stalking weakfish with my father.  Without a boat, we would cover many, many miles by car hitting our special honey holes and see if anyone was home.  Also, pounded the suds right next to my father during those years, especially all geared up on Christmas morning after presents.

WOW, what a great look back!  To think, I didn't fish for several years.  NEVER AGAIN, will I completely give it up.  When I started, I found this great place and have updated myself and learned a lot of knowledge.

TT^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-