Author Topic: 5 mistakes commonly made by boaters  (Read 6081 times)

Offline WATSNEXT

• zee zeeee zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
5 mistakes commonly made by boaters
« on: March 05, 2010, 01:08:08 PM »
1. Forgetting to Install the Drain Plug Prior to Launch. Installing the plug is one of the most basic procedures in boating, but almost every weekend at boat launches around the country, some boater forgets it and ends up with a boat full of water.

Embarrassing? Very. But this happens even to professionals on occasion. Don't assume the drain plug is in the boat. Double-check.

2. Failure to Pay Out Enough Line When Anchoring. The amount of line needed to anchor a vessel (called scope) is five to seven times the depth in calm weather, plus the distance from the surface to where the anchor attaches at the bow. If high winds or rough sea conditions are present, use 10 times the depth. Without the proper scope your vessel may drag anchor and drift ashore, into other vessels or out to sea.
Failure to Pay Out Enough Line When Anchoring.
Anchors need to be pulled at a narrow angle to the bottom to allow the flukes to catch, dig in and become set. Once you've paid out the right amount of line, set the anchor by securing the line to the bow cleat and drifting or slowly reversing power downwind, with the bow facing the anchor, until you take up the slack. Add a small amount of steady, reverse power until the anchor digs in and holds.

3. Not Carrying Up-to-Date Nautical Charts for the Area Traveled. A smart skipper always carries a chart of the waters on which he or she is traveling. Not only do you need to know where you are and what is around you, you also need to know what is under you. A chart will tell you how deep the water is, what the bottom is made of and if there are any obstructions, such as rocks or an old wreck, that could cause a problem. Without appropriate charts, a boat operator runs the risk of running aground, hitting submerged objects or just plain getting lost.

4. Getting Lost at Night. If you're inexperienced at nighttime navigation, allow plenty of time to get back to port before the sun goes down. Take a few runs at night to become familiar with the area where you boat and to know what your favorite area looks like after dark. Again, use a nautical chart. The chart will tell you where the Aids to Navigation are located, how they are lighted at night and what landmarks you may be able to see once the sun goes down. Always pay attention to where you are going while it's light. Carry a VHF-FM marine band radio and if you become disoriented at night, the Coast Guard or local shore patrol may be able to use your radio signal to locate your position and reorient you.

5. Overloading the Boat. It's easy to overload small vessels unintentionally with people, coolers and gear, and an overloaded boat is prone to capsizing, even in relatively calm waters. Know your boat's maximum load capacity. On most boats, this information is on the capacity plate, permanently affixed to the hull. Remember that the "maximum safe weight" includes both people and gear.

Almost all boating errors are caused by being in a hurry or not paying attention.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 06:25:41 PM by WATSNEXT »
Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.”
- Robert N. Rose

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: 5 mistakes commonly made by boaters
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 01:19:03 PM »
Good info.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 03:43:28 PM »
 whs
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 04:31:21 PM »
 whs

TT^

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 05:55:06 PM »
great info
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 07:21:10 PM »
 t^

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 12:47:58 PM »
adding to #2

Pay attention after heaving the hook overboard, don't just throw and pay out scope like a madman. If the chain piles up on top of the anchor when it hits bottom, the hook won't set correctly or at all.

Another "don't ask me how I know..."  rgmn

Offline FinItalia

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 07:06:11 AM »
 t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-