Author Topic: Finally the ice is broken!!!  (Read 3928 times)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Finally the ice is broken!!!
« on: May 12, 2007, 10:51:38 PM »
Hi everyone.

Today the ice was broken for me at IBSP.  We were fishing down by the pocket at about 4:00.  Things were slow for everyone along that strip for a while. I have to say that there were a lot of fish caught today and I saw 3 being weighed in at Grumps alone.

All were caught on calms so I got my little white Grumpy clam bag and off we went. Being things were slow my wife decided to take a walk and take pictures.  It was about 20 mins later the poll and the rod holder hit the sand. (yes I had the drag set lite) but I guess I didn't have the rod holder in far enough but anyway I picked up the rod hit the reel to get as much of the sand off as possible and proceded to land that sucker.
A striper just under 28in and had to release it but the season is young and I have my first stripper of the season.

I have to say that those circle hooks worked just as advertised.  I did not even think about setting the hook at first too much sand on the reel.  When I realized I have a fish on and he was hooked I just started to reel him in when I landed it.  The hook was perfectly in bedded in his right lip, sweet... TT^ TT^ TT^

Ok I'm back in the grove... ;D

ps; we also had to help a guy get out of a pretty bad situation.  He sunk his wheels in to where he was sitting on the sand and the wheels were spinning.  Those snap straps work great, just as advertised.

Paul

« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 11:07:15 PM by ped579 »
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Capt. Ed

Re: Finally the ice is broken!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 11:03:53 PM »
Congrats Paul ...

A lot of hard work paid off!

To many more,

Ed

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 11:09:52 PM »
Good for you Paul,

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 11:10:40 PM »
Thanks Ed.

If you reread my post again we had to help a very newbie get un stuck right there at the end of the road on his way off the beach.  Never lowered his air pressure and the sand was very soft (no rain lately)...To those who don't lower your pressure sooner or later the sand is going to get ya...

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 09:35:48 AM »
Good catch and kudos for helping the other guy.  Anymore, a lot of guys would just ride by and comment on how stupid the guy was for not letting air out of the tires.  But, if you are new to it, you have to learn some how.
Not enuff peeps out there willing to help anymore.  That's what makes this site the best, everyone always willing to help with info and such.

Joe
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline tabasco_joe

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 01:35:19 PM »
Congrats Paul;
My son and I got over there for a few hours yesterday.  No luck but since it's our first trip to salt it was good to learn a little about the park and get used to the equipment.
A couple guys next to use landed a few blues, I'd guess about 3-4lbs. I didn't see anyone land any stripers.
BTW where is the "pocket"?

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 04:40:19 PM »
TJ, the picket is at the southern most point of IBSP right there where the North Jetty meets the beach.  There is a nice trough that runs a couple of hundred yards north and then there is a cut through in the outer sand bars.  Look for the lack of any wave action for about 75+ yards and depending on the tide change you can see a rip current running out to sea.

I usually start there and if it is really slow work my way north.  Watch the birds their a good sign bait fish are around and if you can find them working in a trough even better yet. 

Happy Fishing... t^

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 02:15:50 PM »
Great to hear the good news Paul. Might want to add a mallet to the gear to pound the sand spike in. It will keep it from falling and getting sand into the reel. Helping others on the beach is always a noble thing. <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 05:44:18 PM »
The black rubber mallet is already in there.  I am use to using my butt to sit on the rod holder, usually it has been working out but what I noticed lately that the sand is different down there.  When you walk on the wet sand it will first hold your weight and then give way a little like a pie crust on top :P.  Maybe all that new sand dredged up is slowly making its way past the north jetty after the storms we had.  Any input??? ??? ??? ???

Paul
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 07:35:15 PM by ped579 »
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline robsrodnreel

• Robs Rod n Reel
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 07:48:35 AM »
good job paul!!!!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-