Author Topic: flounder chum  (Read 14447 times)

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
flounder chum
« on: February 06, 2007, 10:23:01 AM »
what do you guys do for flounder chum,I am looking for some new ideas,I have aways just used half yellow rice and have white mixed w/ some bunker oil and clam juice and froze in 12 oz. cups so it fits into your standered chum pot.then I buy a bushell of clams and grind them up and put in the same cups.if by chance the store has some cat food on sale over the winter I'll pick up some and mix it in w/ the rice or clam .this has always helped me put some flatties in the box.any more ideas?

Offline JustFish

• Full Member of the Den
Re: flounder chum
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 01:05:35 PM »
Flounder Chum..  ??? I don't understand that,  I understand chumming while anchored,  But are you drifting this chum?
dfgdfgdfgd

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 01:31:01 PM »
I am talking about winter flounder not fluke,drift for fluke anchor for flounder

Offline robsrodnreel

• Robs Rod n Reel
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 06:42:45 PM »
was just talking bout this subject with a few guys from work.  cat food seemed to be used by everyone. another guy said he filled a pvc pipe with concrete (a small pipe) and ties a rope to it to "pound the bottom" everyonce in a while. guess he feels the disturbance triggers the bite...

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 09:19:13 AM »
I use an old mushroom anchor for beating the bottom ,I tie it off on one of the cleats so it hits every time the boat rocks.I cant wait for the season to open

Offline woodrufflou

• Woodruff Rod and Gun
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 08:10:58 PM »
winter flounder fishing is one thing i never got into. Since i just got out of high school and college i never had time in the spring. Spring was always baseball time. Im gonna have to start, is it basically the same as fluke fishing or no?
The man, The myth, THE LEGEND

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 09:25:53 PM »
Hi All,

I use a mixture of cat food, boiled rice, canned corn, crushed mussels and/or clams. I freeze the mixture in baseball size shapes that fit into my chum pot. If you cannot freeze it, no worries, you will just use more. I rub shedder crap oil all over the chum pot days/weeks before. Make sure you shake the chum pot regularly, even after the bite starts.

If I am going to be in shallow water, I bring a 6 ft. piece of wood to stir up the bottom around the boat.

Here is a trick that is not too sporting but some people use. Take a 18-30 inch leader with whatever hook you are using snelled or otherwise attached to the leader. Then tie the leader off the bottom of the chum pot. A very effective, if not sporting, way to add to you catch.

Have fun,

Capt. Ed
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 09:27:55 PM by Capt. Ed »

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 10:38:14 AM »
the old hook on the pot trick works great ,it helps on those slow days ,at least you dont have to pull up to the dock empty.

Offline shadyvito

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 04:47:38 PM »
This is all news to me.  I didn't know that you chummed for flounder but I understand that.  What I don't understand is pounding the bottom whith the mushroom anchor.  Why does that work?
PS - That's what that part of the alphabet would look like if there where no Q or R.

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 06:21:13 PM »
flounder will come in to feed on all the little critters that you stir up

Offline technologist

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 07:33:58 PM »
always found that canned corn worked as well as anything else. Whenever I caught flounder after chumming they always were filled with corn so I guess it worked.I think its because they see it better. Would always put a yellow bead above my bait when chumming with corn! Never used the corn for bait,

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 07:50:56 PM »
I was always told corn worked cuz it was the same color as a mussle that is why we use yellow rice

Offline shadyvito

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 08:11:58 PM »
I wonder how a bead-headed bugger would work after chumming.  Buggers catch anything.
PS - That's what that part of the alphabet would look like if there where no Q or R.

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 10:31:20 PM »
Give you boys the old family secret ;)

two cans of alpo dog food, finely chopped clams, tuna oil, boiled rice, corn.....mix by hand form into log and freeze................we also put 1-2 hooks off the pot for those coming up for a free meal

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 10:26:49 AM »
chum is cooking ,and the season is almost here ,the wife is gonna kill me when she gets home ,there is somthing about the smell of bunker oil and tuna oil cooking in a new pot.MY HOUSE STINKS ;D

Offline Flukedood

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2007, 02:10:18 PM »
do you guys use regular chum pots or can you use something else??   am putting my shopping list together to make some chum logs.. 8) ;D
I spend 90% of my time fishing, The rest I just waste..

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2007, 02:19:26 PM »
I use 12 oz. cups to store the logs in,I use 2 store bought chum pots and they work fine ,I put a 12 oz. wieght on the bottom of one to pound the bottom a little harder.

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2007, 11:26:26 PM »
I spent a couple hours sunday makin clam chum ,I made 50 logs

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 04:23:27 PM »
nice catch ,from this year ? I have about 45 logs left and just ordered 40 gallons of bellies to make more

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 05:56:19 AM »
You must have some freezer brother... :o
I run 3 most of the year between deer meet and chum and bait I aways need more room

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-