Author Topic: Tarpon T120 - Review  (Read 8662 times)

Offline SeaFlea

• Whenever I can!!
Tarpon T120 - Review
« on: April 26, 2009, 09:02:44 PM »
At 7am there was barely a breeze blowing, Absecon Creek was as smooth as glass and I was on the water by 7:30.

Packing light nowadays... The paddle keeper up front is real handy, much easier to use than the paddle keeper which doesn't really cradle the paddle shaft becausre the drip-rings get in the way!

There is nothing exciting about the T120 – it’s a well behaved boat that is as stable as the day is long. I don’t know how much additional wetted surface was added to the boat when Confluence started casting them 2” wider but this boat does appear to be slower than my 2001 T120… Yes, there are a number of changes on this new ‘yak, some good, some not so good. Unfortunately, its performance is bland and boring. Actually, worse; it felt as if someone was trying to hold onto the keel as I paddled! Glide is almost non-existent. Fortunately, it tracks straight as an arrow.
I had the seat back in a high position on my last outing so Prior to launching I dropped the seat back to its lowest position; still comfy. Now out on the water I wanted to raise the forward section of the seat pan; could not get the straps to budge an iota!! Pulled up to an area I could stand and made some minor adjustments to that pan – easy, off the water. Back to paddling – maybe just a little more comfortable now that my butt was “cupped” buy the Phase 3 seat… I had clipped a carabineer on the WAWA bag and clipped it to one of the loops inside the center hatch prior to launch. Reached inside, pulled out the Tastykake cherry pie and munched happily away staring at the AC sky line & sipping my coffee. I could not reach the coffe mug by reaching out for it – I straddled the gunwales, slid forward, grabbed the travel mug and slid back to the chair. Major PITA! Note to self – take more yoga classes, maybe being more flexible will help…

Got a phone call from “Ganet” and we parlezed vous mumma-mumma for 15 – 20 minutes. I was gonna paddle over to Steelman Thorofare, about 1¼ miles away, but the windy forecast was in the back of my head so I started a paddle up the creek instead. Now I had a bit of a breeze at my back but it didn’t help the speed of the boat any! Neither did catching hell from Mr. & Mrs. Osprey! MR decided I need a little encouragement so he made a couple fly-bys!! (Never had that happen before!) As I passed the ramp the speed of the outgoing was starting to pick up so I thought Ganet’s plan was gonna work out just fine, until I turned the corner only to find about 100yds of water, which then pulled a hairline turn and did a zig-zag back to Route 30. The water was moving just a tad faster than earlier but the boat really complained about it! I felt like I was doing 2 or 3 paddle strokes forward but still loosing ground! I was not having fun. I packed it in. Headed back to the launch, packed everything up and had lunch. Oh yeah, once again that tank well had an inordinate amount of water in it; drained ok once I elevated the stern of the boat… (But why did I have to elevate the stern???)
I did get the camera and took a number of pics. Here are a few of the forward hatch.

I found the hinges on the hatch to be pretty strong and the foam does make a waterproof seal... The addition of a couple draing channels will make the forward hatch much drier.

I did not have an issue with large amounts of water in the boat this time out. I don’t know if I’d open the forward hatch if there’s a chop. When I was cleaning the boat I had filled the channel area around that forward hatch, inadvertently, with water and when I poped the hatch it all went inside the yak. I did not have that problem last week with the center hatch! I did notice the water pool-up in the Slidetrax channels but nothing came if it. The water also pooled up in the Slide Trax around the tankwell but there were no leaks found.

The seat holds water, the “tray” under the seat holds water, and the two “wing-pockets” hold water! (Too many things to hold water – I had to wash off the Subaru after getting home this trip!) The water in the seat may be a mote point since your butt is gonna displace the water in the first place, but it does take a while for the material to dry…

The water almost covers the "T" handle (below), that's almost 1/2" of water...

All in all, the T120 is not my idea of a good fishing kayak. Maybe mediocre, but not good… It’s too heavy to comfortably lift to the roof off the Subaru and was a royal p.i.t.a. when it came time to unload it!! The 2001 T120 weighed in at 54#, this puppy weighs in at 64#. Not enough glide during the paddling session so even that 1¼ mile paddle seems like it was gonna be a major endeavor! This boat may “enough volume for the ‘huskiest’ paddler and his stuff”; the huskiest paddler may be quite the buff one after season one! The center hatch works well, on and off the water but the forward hatch is not a winner, imo. The Slidetrax is a great option but is useless with accessories that take advantage of it! The seat is nice but all the adjustments have to be made off the water. The tankwell is bigger now but is infinitely wetter. Yes, maybe my sloppy technique put the water back there but why didn’t it drain? When I picked up the kayak I told Patrick that I considered this bot to be the VW of fishin' kayaks. Having paddled it for for two days, I won't call it an Edsel but it's no longer my "go to" 'yak anymore.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 09:04:24 PM by Hotrod »

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Tarpon T120 - Review
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 09:04:52 PM »
Wow!!  great Post t^

Offline DAK

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 09:06:44 AM »
Great review! Very objective. I guess Blondie won't have any reason to get jealous. When you gonna bring her down for some real fishing?

I think the stripes are way up the rivers makin babies right now. I was thinking of hitting the Mays Landing bulkheads or maybe Lower Bank in the yak one evening this week...
This boy is about as sharp as a sack of wet mice...

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 11:31:38 AM »
Great review.  Thanks for the time put into this project.  I guess the better mouse trap will not be the Tarpon T120 this year.

Maybe if they read your input that might change once again in the future.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 01:06:44 PM »
Great review. I'm doing my research to buy one soon and this really helped me out.  slt
Z

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 01:08:08 PM »
Great article Sea Flea! t^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 03:59:03 PM »
Awesome write up. Thanks for the post, it will help many.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 05:02:43 PM »
Great review!

TT^

Offline barrell

• Sponsor
    • Barrel Surf & Kayak
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 06:12:08 PM »
Sea Flea, What do you wheigh? You dont look that heavy in your pic to have the well flood. Is there a drain under the seat? Is it plugged? If you unplugged it with your wheight does it drain or flood? The front hatch looks solid and inovative. I dont like the fact that the seat takes a long time to dry out as I store my kayaks outside and have been fishing in sweatpants since March 1st. I hate a wet butt. Maybe they over engineered the space age looking seat? Thanks for the report. I have a load of Pro Fishermen being delivered to my Absecon wharehouse wednesday morning if youd like to take one for the day and try it out and write your thoughts.

Offline SeaFlea

• Whenever I can!!
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 07:51:34 PM »
Barrel,
I weigh 207# - just weighed myself this evening while at the chiropracters. In the 2001 T120 I had the foot wells had about 1/8" of water in them up towards the forward scupper holes. The water level in this T120 was about 3/8" to 1/2" below the deck of the same scupper hole...  Ther are two scupper holes under the seat and they were both plugged during the paddle. The high tech seat will keep your butt out of the water that gets trapped in the well but does not drain out of the scuppers.
Just a thought... If I'm an engineer and I design a "tray" below the seat pan then why wouldn't I develop a means to drain that pan when the scuppers are plugged?  Just not well thought out.
The forward hatch is quite solid, but the molding around the hatch will not allow water to drain away from it. When you open the hatch any water trapped around it will cascade into the kayak. Just not well thought out..
I think WS took their Phase 3 seat out of their sit-in kayaks and without much to do put it in their sit-on-tops. If the sik is stored outside, chances are it will be stored up-side down; rain, morning dew, errant bird isn't going to get to the seat... SOT stored outside by Mr. Average will probably be on a rack vertical or horizontal but exposed to the elements. One more time - not thought out...
Lookit I'm an anal retebtive programmer who's work gets tested by me before it goes to the next level of testing. Tester #2 tries their best to break my code so the the end-user doesn't have anything to complain about. When something isn't tested and not well thought out it kinda rubs me the wrong way... $850 is a good chunk of change, I don't want to see someone to waste it. If this review makes a tentative buyer take a test paddle then life is good!
Pro Fisherman from Cobra? Man would I! I thought they weren't being sold in the US... I don't think I can take you up on your offer until week after next; I have a bachelor party to attend.  If the offer still stands after that I'll be more than willing to give it a shot. Thanks for the opportunity! Let me know how you'd like to proceed...

Chal

Offline barrell

• Sponsor
    • Barrel Surf & Kayak
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 07:07:28 AM »
Sorry for the mistype. Im talking Hobie pro-angler.

Offline SeaFlea

• Whenever I can!!
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 11:56:43 AM »
S'ok!  I'm still game. I've never been in (on?) a Hobie pedal craft though.  Still can't make it down till next weekend though...  PM me with details.

Chal

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-