Author Topic: Father's Day Fluke Report  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
Father's Day Fluke Report
« on: June 19, 2011, 05:18:31 PM »
Fished solo today on a NS boat out of Keyport (Jason's Father's day gift to me a trip by myself-with the closing words that I might have a shot at the pool with him not being aboard  ::)  ).

Got to the boat just before 6 and was the first to board & set-up in the pulpit.. Good thing as by the time we pulled out of the slip at 7-30 minutes earlier than normal due top a full boat. Fished the Reach Channel and the adjacent flats. Had very good conditions early and fluke started coming up right away. I started with my standard bucktail rig consisting of a 1 ounce white (later dumped up to a 1.5 ounce) tipped with a chartreuse GULP swimming minnow and a stand-out hook 10"s above it tipped with a 3" GULP new penny shrimp. My first 3 fish were shorts on the bucktail, then I drilled a nice 24"+ fluke on the stand-out hook. good amount of keepers came up on the first drift. Continued using this set-up on the 2nd & 3rd drifts getting a second keeper out of the 12 I caught. Started losing conditions and the bite I had slowly died but there were still fluke (keepers & shorts) being caught on bait. All I caught on bait was a bunch of real short fish, nothing bigger than 15". started getting some outgoing water and I went back to bucktailing, only difference this time was that I tipped the bucktail with a 4" GULP shrimp and used a swimming minnow on the stand-out hook (same colors as earlier). Nailed 2 more keepers and some more shorts. Ended the day with 4 keepers out of 25.

My first keeper was good enough for the pool at #5.35-Thanks Jason. Closest was a #4, although there was a bigger fish lost at the net towards the end of the day. Most everyone one had 1 or 2. There were a few skunks. High hook was 5.

Took some of my winnings and stopped at the Keyport Fishery and brought home a pound each of fried scallops and clam strips.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 08:13:17 PM by Skolmann »

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Re: Father's Day Fluke Report
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 05:35:19 PM »
Congrats on the pool winner! t^

Offline 1captainron

• Sponsor
    • Capt Ron's Fishermen
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 06:13:17 PM »
Very nice day...Good things come to those who work at it and it looks like you busted your butt!!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 06:32:24 PM »
Nice catch. Good job on the pool fish.  clp clp
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline hiking

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 08:22:07 PM »
good job, it's always nice to win a pool.
Paul cell 908-415-9542

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 11:36:43 PM »
Nice t^

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 11:49:18 PM »
Nice Fathers Day Doc. TT^
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 06:24:19 AM »
Nice report Doc, Congrats on the pool t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-