Author Topic: Al Ristori wrote this on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 RE: The Fluke issue  (Read 5090 times)

Offline Great American Fisherman

Fluke alternatives set
by Al Ristori Wednesday February 25, 2009, 10:58 AM
The N.J. Marine Fisheries Council met Tuesday to decide which fluke regulations to recommend for adoption by the Council. Dr. Pat Donnelly said there was agreement on holding at 18 inches, but most wanted to lower the bag limit from eight to six in order to pick up a few more days of season. The two alternatives in season that are being passed on to the Council are June 1 to Sept. 7 or May 23 to Sept. 4. It becomes a matter of if Memorial Day or Labor Day is more important to you. Surprisingly, Donnelly noted there was an almost even split between advisors from both the north and south on which dates to recommend. He had expected the north would want more days at the end, and the south would seek more in the spring.
The alternatives of an increase to 18 1/2 inches, in order to get a longer season, and of a split season received no support.

The Council will meet next Thursday in Galloway Township to consider the alternatives, or any other combination that will both provide the small decrease we're required to take -- and the ASMFC stipulation that most of the decrease must come from the season. That doesn't allow for much wiggle room. The alternatives recommended are already approved by the ASMFC, but moving up to 18 1/2 inches might not be accepted without the required season cutback.

Offline mgm

Re: Al Ristori wrote this on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 RE: The Fluke issue
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 07:19:09 PM »
GAF thanks for the update.....I always want a longer season going into the fall....my personal best was caught in the fall.....18" should be good as most of the 17 1/2" released last year will be in my cooler this season. t^
" The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses. "

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 07:56:11 PM »
6 at 18 is better than 0. Glad to hear that everyone wants the 18 1/2 of the picture. <'((((>< 
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 07:56:49 PM »
So, basically nothing would change from 2008 5hrug?  I guess the days of middle to late September and early October Surf Fluke fishing is out!

TT^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 08:15:59 PM »
Thanks for the info Jim.

There is no reason for us to think any of the proposals are good.

The whole idea of limiting the season turns my stomach. Absolutely no need for the closures they are asking for.

The last half of the season was dismal for most, at best, because of the weather. They have us going over our quota the last part of the season when there were way too many days that a boat could not even get out to fish because of the weather. Their means of gathering information is terrible.

Let them print the information that they have gathered for out catch. I guarantee there are days listed on it that show high catches where there was not one boat out fishing.

What a bunch of dips we have running the show.  >:(

They say it is the 'best science' available. That's a bunch of crap. The SSFFF was able to gather tremendous information, why can't our regulators take the money they are spending on their stupid azz surveys and us it to gather real information.

This whole situation aggravates the hell out of me.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 10:13:29 PM »
 t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 12:14:59 AM »
So, basically nothing would change from 2008 5hrug?  I guess the days of middle to late September and early October Surf Fluke fishing is out!

TT^

Not if you enter the Governor's Cup on IBSP.  Then you, yes you P-man,  will have special permission to fish for them that day. ::)

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 04:41:29 PM »
that governor's cup exemption crap is such bullshirt it makes me sick....  5hrug

at least it looks like no split season, a 2 week closure mid summer would blow chunks in church....

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 08:31:34 PM »
It would be nice if someone from SSFFF could join this site and make a statement.   Maybe if someone knows Captain Bobby Bogan of the Gambler or Captain Tony Bogan (different family) of the Paramount, one or both could make a statement in this forum on this site.  All Captains listed are in leadership.  I'll write to Tony Bogan and ask him if he can join this site as a member(like you and I are) and see if he can post updates and or statements.  I'll let you know if he responds.

SSFFF is a great organization.  The problem is you have one politician  who is involved.  Frank Pallone.  Have not heard a word from him on the Fluke issue since before the 2008 elections. 

SSFFF has a dinner:  March 6, 2009 2nd Annual SSFFF Fund raising dinner. Once again it will be held at Crystal Point Caterers on Rt 70 in Pt Pleasant. Last year's dinner was a great success and the money raised helped fund Dr Maunder's stock assessment research. This year we will need to hire additional scientists for the additional biological research Dr Maunder needs to continue his work. Between the two projects, we need to raise approx $240,000.00. Thanks to everyone's support last year, we are more than 1/3 of the way there. We are ALL volunteers and pay all of our own expenses, whether its to go to meetings, attend shows, or meet with politicians. ALL monies donated go to the cause. You can sign up for the Dinner right on the website: www.ssfff.net.

The one problem is the economy.  Politicians could care less about a few fish when millions are out of work and all the rest of the bad news going on.  We the people do not vote with our passion, favorite sport, livelihood in mind.  So, we have what we have as our government.  From what I understand, your President's person for NOAA is not fisherman friendly.  A big problem.

As I said, I will write to Tony Bogan and ask him if he could pen a letter addressing this site and see if he can give an update or something.

Be good and I am always willing and glad to help.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 03:51:49 PM by Great American Fisherman »

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 08:47:40 PM »
I just wrote to Captain Tony Bogan and asked him if he could give an update to this site.  I will let you know if he answers me.

I've brought quite a few supporters to ssfff and I brought the only motel listed to ssfff.  Plus I did other things for them. 

So, if someone writes me back, I wil let you all know. 

Be good!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 09:31:30 PM »
Good job GAF. The SSFFF can use all the help they can get. They are doing an excellent job but it does take $$$.

Many here have supported the SSFFF and continue to do so. A one time donation is just not enough. As GAF said, more doe-ray-me is needed to continue the studies and make the mission a success for us all.

My biggest thing in all of this is that the government agencies who are doing the regulating are the ones who should be putting out the money for the true research, not the fisherman. When they do that, I would have no problem with a salt water license.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 09:33:31 PM by IrishAyes »
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 11:18:11 PM »
Were is the save the summer flounder foundation on this one... its totally out of whack.. our season gets cut more and more ,, but commercial get to target the fall fish!! SO were is the money going you donate??? I'm not happy with the situation at all~
\
You have got to be kidding me ,what are you trying to say ,these guys are busting there ass trying to do everything they can for all of us .Did you make the charter boat donation ?? why dont you go over to nj fishing and ask one of the hard working captians who donate there free time where your money is going.It is because of them that we are able to fish for fluke this season and it is because of them it is the reason you so called captians can charge people to fish .

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-