Author Topic: Beginner looking for a little help  (Read 3050 times)

Offline Erockg13

Beginner looking for a little help
« on: May 25, 2012, 04:30:21 PM »
Hey there.   I'm kinda new to the saltwater fishing and I've been going fishing in different spots with little to no luck at all.  It's a little discouraging.   I've been to the belmar inlet fishing of the jetti for strippers and winter fluke.   Clam for the strippers and squid for the fluke.   Also been to barnegate light house and fished off of the inlet there as well as the surf with no luck either.   All times of day... All types of weather.   Is there any basic advice anyone can give so I might start reeling in so fish?   I've tried lots of Rigs , lures and jigs with no sucsess.  Plz any advice would be much apprieciated!!

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
Re: Beginner looking for a little help
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 04:51:18 PM »
It takes time to get a feel for the how, when and where.  The most important thing is patience and persistence. 
Do a lot of reading and video watching on the topics of lure selection, fish behavior,tides, etc.  Keep an eye on reports online, tackle shops and The Fisherman.
There are some good books available, particularly from Zeno and the gang at Surfcasters Journal.
Especially helpful would be to get together with someone who has put in some time n the water.
Put in your time, be patient and keep trying.  Oh yeah....follow the KISS rule too.

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 05:09:53 PM »
You aren't the first to make this mistake, and you surely won't be the last, but I have to correct you anyway, because that's what I do...

S-T-R-I-P-E-R-S ;D

On a more serious note, don't get discouraged.  I've been doing this for awhile now, and I've caught pretty much nothing lately when I haven't been able to get out on a boat.  Best bet right now is to pick up afew a-17 diamond jigs with red or green tails and fish them quickly in any of the inlets you've mentioned.  Small-ish bluefish love to run in and out of inlets this time of year, especially in the morning, and they're pretty easy to catch if you have an idea of what they want to eat.  t^
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 05:51:05 PM »
Great advice guys t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 10:20:15 PM »
Most important of all, don't give up.  Fishing from the surf, jetty or bulkhead is not the easiest thing to do.  Remember the fish has to come to you, unless you know certain things to look for and that will come with time.

I have been fishing all my life it seems and that will put it at almost 65 years now.  There are times that we all get skunked.  Just chalk it up to a learning lesson.  Get back out there and keep trying.

Read what the guys that are catching are using and try to learn their methods and mimic them.  One of the best things to do is to, and it has been said here, is to read back topics and gain the knowledge that it took many of us years to learn.

We had no internet back then but we knew how to communicate with the older guys that have certain tricks and techniques that were not shared easily. 

Right now one of the best things you can do is to spend some time in 1 or 2 B&T's and just listen to the chatter.  It is amazing what you can learn just by listening.  Then ask questions.

Stick with it and by the time winter is here I am sure we will have you catching fish with the best of them.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline FishOn

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 01:37:52 AM »
Especially helpful would be to get together with someone who has put in some time n the water.
Put in your time, be patient and keep trying.  Oh yeah....follow the KISS rule too.

Bingo!

And enjoy your time on the water each time. Catching something is just a bonus.
Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect and I don't have to be! Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 05:57:20 AM »
Also be weary of the reports you read in the paper, some B&TS always have reports of good fishing were they are and so is not the case sometimes. But if they said," no ones catching s#!*." you wouldnt be going to them for bait :-\ So as the guys have said spend some time in B&Ts and read previous posts such as "Reading the Sand" good luck.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-