Author Topic: Sharking and having a Shotgun or Pistol on Board - Is it LEGAL????  (Read 9286 times)

Offline HOokiN

• Master Kitchens & Baths
Been trying to research the legalities of having a shotgun or pistol on board while shark fishing. I obviously have a hunting license and FID card and all my weapons are legal and are registered to me. I was born with a gun in my hand am also very experienced with all types of weapons. Have a CCW in NV and Utah which is irrelevant but any cop should take that into consideration. I will not be carrying concealed in this state. Weapon will be packed away until it needs to be used.
Called the State Police last week , firearms division and left a msg. They never returned my call.
Shark fishing is lots of fun. Now that I have my own boat I want to get out there for a nice mako or thresher. Will most likely be further than 3 miles out. Id feel much more comfortable knowing that the shark is done for good after a shot to the dome. Can any one attach a link of the laws? Seems like a very grey area.
As much as id love to bring my .45, gun laws absolutely SUCK in NJ especially for pistols. So if I have to bring the plugged mossberg 500 without having to worry about passing the wrong officer on the water, I will have no problem doing that.

Any advice helps,

James.

Grady White 20' Over-Nighter -
H o O K i N ! /  2012 Chevy Silverado Duramax -

Offline SouthPaw

• There's more to it than catching
Re: Sharking and having a Shotgun or Pistol on Board - Is it LEGAL????
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 07:44:39 PM »
I know the shotgun is legal. Stopped last year by C.G. and they had no problem with it. gun was cased and unloaded of coarse. I also made sure they knew it was aboard.
A good day of fishing is better than a bad day of fishing. A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. That means work sucks!

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
IIRC, in NJ, if it's a legally possessed shotgun, it's all good. All bets are off after that.

NY should be similar (not sure.)

Offline Redneck Joe

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 04:39:10 AM »
I recommend doing this in a free state instead rofla

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 07:48:02 AM »
I don't see a problem with the shot gun, but NJ hand gun laws are a joke. To and from the store or the range. Don't stop for food, gas etc.... or you go to jail.

The free state is a good thing, but tuf to shark fish from UT.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Takes Prizoners

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 09:59:07 AM »
pistol would probably be walking the line or even crossing it.  Last time I asked, I was told there are requirements the boat needs surpass for it to be legal.  mainly a living/sleeping quarters and a full bathroom.  something like that. look into a bangstick

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 10:35:22 AM »
Shotguns are ok.  For safety  look into a bangstick.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Captain Stabbin

• USCG MMC# 3434471
    • www.facebook.com/walters.josephm
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 06:44:33 PM »
The Captain of the vessel is permitted to have a legal firearm aboard as long as it is unloaded & secured under lock & key in which only the captain has access to.  Upon boarding by USCG you must immediately disclose to the boarding team you possess the weapon, its location & give them the key if they require.
Big Joe
ScrappyCat Sportfishing
Hoffmans Marina
100GT Master NearShore
100GT Mate Inland

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-