Author Topic: The Kings (and more) of Florida!  (Read 8389 times)

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
The Kings (and more) of Florida!
« on: May 13, 2009, 10:05:20 PM »
I arrived home late last night after an awesome week of fun in the Florida sun!  The first thing I will tell you is that I did not catch a snook.  The second thing I will tell you is that after all the other fish I was catching I really didn't care! ;D

Most of my fishing was done on a drift boat called the Black Dog out of Jupiter Inlet.    And, as almost always happens, I made another New Jersey connection.  Captain Bill Taylor is a New Jersey native who has been living down in Florida full-time since 1995.  Bill is a self-professed striper nut and, as a youngster, used to work as a mate on the Doris Mae out of Barnegat Light.  Pretty cool! t^

My first day out Mate Andrew rigged us up with hi-lo rigs and we proceeded to catch a variety of bottom dwellers.  Several types of snapper were swung over the rail as well as triggerfish and porgy.  Then one of the anglers hooked into something big which kept him busy for quite awhile as the rest of us watched him do battle.  Eventually, the huge sea creature was brought to the surface.  It turned out to be a nurse shark, which looked to be around nine feet long!  After getting some pics, the leader was cut close to the hook and the big fish was free to swim off.

As the morning bite faded Captain Bill moved us around a bit to find some better action.  As many of you that know me understand, I am not very patient when it comes to soaking bait for any length of time (especially if the bites are few and far between).  So I grabbed my little spinning reel, tied on a bucktail and sent it on down.  I was quickly rewarded with a hard bite.  All I could do for the first couple of seconds was hold on as the fish peeled line off the reel.  Then, as I started to pump it towards the boat the line went slack.  First I thought I had lost it.  Then  I thought it might be swimming hard at me.  Neither was the case. As you can see in the pic below, something much bigger decided to make a meal out of my catch.  A shark severed it in half, just behind the head!  The fish I had hooked into was a bar jack.  Not worth much for table fare anyway according to the Captain.

A few drops later I was into another hard running fish.  The drag screamed as line melted off my little 4000-size reel at an amazing rate.  I thought it was going to spool me as the reel starting smoking!  I did manage to gain line back however.  Eventually I landed this tremendous fighter, which turned out to be a crevalle jack.  Again, I was told this one is not a good eater as well.  So after a couple of quick pics, back in the water it went.

The rest of the morning got a bit more interesting as some anglers managed to hook into some king mackerel.  (More on those later)  At the end of the trip most of us were hooked up with some nice sized false albacore, up to about 12 lbs.  The folks down there call them bonito.  But they are the same fat alberts/little tunny we catch up here in the early fall.  Definitely a lot of fun on the light tackle! TT^

My second day out with the Black Dog crew, although the bottom fishing bite was better, I asked Mate Chad to rig me up for a shot at some king mackerel (a.k.a. kingfish).  These are not the little bottom feeding, whiskered kingfish we catch up here.  These are lean, mean, drag singing, toothy speedsters!

Chad rigged me up with a sardine on a flat line and I drifted it back into clear blue water.  In just a few seconds I had a taker.  I quickly threw the reel in gear and set the hook on my first king!  As it made its first hard run I instinctively thumbed the spooled to slow him down.  This earned me a quick reprimand from the Captain who told me to let her run.  After a few minutes my first kingfish was gaffed and in the box!

My last day out, I knew I wasn't going to be playing around with those bottom fish.  So I started out with my trusty jig and hooked into a kingfish almost immediately.  From then on we had king mackerel (up to 30 lbs.) all day long.  What a blast!  There were times when we had four and five on at a time! That certainly made things interesting as we perfected our over/under moves around the boat. ;D

My three trips out with Captain Bill and the Black Dog crew were great!  Captain Bill did not only work hard to put everyone on fish, but he and his mates, Andrew, Chad and Adrian did an awesome job helping everyone out, giving tips to the newbies (me), and making all feel very much at home.  Anytime I pulled my hooks out of the water, one of them was there to throw a fresh piece of bait on, retie, or do whatever was necessary to get my line back in the water as quickly as possible.  I would definitely recommend them if you're planning a trip down to the Palm Beach area of Florida. t^

Other than my trips on the Black Dog, I did a little fishing on the Juno Pier and the Boynton inlet.  I have nothing really to report from either location.  The only thing I saw caught were some grunts and a puffer fish.  I also had a chance to attend the re-opening celebration of a new pier in Lake Worth, which was a lot of fun.  The old pier had been destroyed by a hurricane back around 2005.  The new one is  very nice and it was jam-packed that day with anglers from end to end.  There were also reporters from the local TV news on hand to cover the event.  Although the fishing was not really happening there either, I did get to see someone catch a pretty hefty permit while I was there. 

Did a little freshwater fishing too.  The last pic is a bass I caught on a Senko using my daughter's new Hannah Montana fishing rod. rofla

Definitely a great trip and a lot of fun!  t^

Pic 1:  Jupiter Lighthouse
Pic 2:  nurse shark
Pic 3:  nurse shark
Pic 4:  shark eaten bar jack
Pic 5:  crevalle jack
Pic 6:  triggerfish on a bucktail
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 10:37:57 PM by Bucktail »

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: The Kings (and more) of Florida!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 10:09:09 PM »
Pic 7:  Florida variety
Pic 8:  king mackerel
Pic 9:  king mackerel
Pic 10:  largemouth on the Hannah Montana rod ;D

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 11:50:00 PM »
Sounds like you had a great time, nice pics.  t^
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 12:31:24 AM »
Bob all I have to say you and Hanna Montanan go together.  It brings out the purple in your eyes... ::)

I am very envious of you right now.  I would love to be back down there and have the opportunity to fish Fl;Florida once again like I did when I was a kid.  All my summers were spent fishing around the St. Petersburg area with my Grand Father.  The old St Pete pier was our favorite spot.

Thanks for posting a great report... t^ grtn

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 05:41:17 AM »
Nice report Bob, Sounds like you had a good time.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 05:58:06 AM »
Welcome back Bob.. Nice report. looks like you have a great time..

Nice Shirt t^

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 07:09:49 AM »
Hi Bob,,  Im glad that you had a fun time catching fish in Florida. Great pics and great report too. I hope I have that much luck in Hawaii next week, t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 07:35:03 AM »
Great report Bob. Sounds like a fun trip and one you should be planning on doing again.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 09:10:37 AM »
Bob all I have to say you and Hanna Montanan go together.  It brings out the purple in your eyes... ::)

Ummm...  Thanks! t^  (I think... :-\)

Nice Shirt t^

Yeah.  I knew you'd like that. ;)

I hope I have that much luck in Hawaii next week, t^

Hey Eddie.  Good luck out there!  Catch some big ones!  t^

Sounds like a fun trip and one you should be planning on doing again.  t^

Absolutely Joe!  Florida's the place to be! t^
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 10:01:58 AM by Bucktail »

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 09:22:10 AM »
It's all good Bob... t^

Glad your vacation went well.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 09:25:55 AM »
Sounds like a fun trip!  t^

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 10:36:14 AM »
Great report on Fla trip.  Those kings look awesome.  Hhmmm Black Dog... Think the Captain is a Zepplin fan?

Nice pics

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 10:49:04 AM »
Bob,Great report and pics from your vacation,looks like you had  a great time t^  Kez
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 11:45:14 AM »
Great Trip Bob

Looks like load of fun, nice pix too

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 05:52:07 PM »
What a vacation, Bucktail!  Sounds like it was a lot of fun.  Great report and tons of great catching.  Thanks for the pics.

Funny how small the world really is?!?!

Nice lunker on the Hannah Montana Setup...you know what that means??  It really isn't the rod or reel, but how you fish it...you could sell your 1000's of rods/reels and go with every kids combo they make.  It'll save you tons of $$$$ rofla hhppy rofla hhppy.

I'm glad to see you had a good vacation.  Did you do anything besides fish...not that there is anything wrong with that :P.

TT^

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 09:56:25 PM »
Funny how small the world really is?!?!

You're not kidding.  Last time I was down there (a couple years ago) I fished for largemouth with a guy that was from LBI and knew the Ebles as well!  And the guy I went peacock bass fishing with also lived in NJ for awhile, as his wife is from here! TT^

Nice lunker on the Hannah Montana Setup...you know what that means??  It really isn't the rod or reel, but how you fish it...you could sell your 1000's of rods/reels and go with every kids combo they make.  It'll save you tons of $$$$ rofla hhppy rofla hhppy.

You're probably right P-Man! ;D

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 10:21:49 PM »
Nice pics Bob
Looks like you had a great trip.

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 10:52:39 AM »
 w00t sweet vacation, fish, and pix  t^ chrz

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-