Author Topic: Bad News for our Estuaries  (Read 8045 times)

Offline Capt. Ed

Bad News for our Estuaries
« on: February 03, 2007, 12:14:25 PM »
Hi All,

It is being reported that our estuaries have suffered further setbacks. Once again, the bays are suffering from human beings. We have overdeveloped too much. As a bad side effect, large amounts of nitrogen are pouring into the water.

This is causing increased algae. This algae smothers eelgrass, a prime area for shellfish, crabs and small fish to habitate.

It has been noted that a large decline in scallops have already been seen. Fear is that crabs, clams end even juvenile fish will be next. The eelgrass has been decimated in many areas.

There is a solution but it is expensive and political.

We need to take action instead of praying that this problem goes away. It will not!

Have fun,

Capt. Ed

Offline JustFish

• Full Member of the Den
Re: Bad News for our Estuaries
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 05:52:13 PM »
I can say,  That the crabbing isn't like it was 15 years ago.  At least for me.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 09:50:47 PM by Capt. Rod »
dfgdfgdfgd

Offline woodrufflou

• Woodruff Rod and Gun
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 08:13:29 PM »
justfish, i grew up crabbing. My grandfather was a local legend when it came to crabbing. He was in the news paper numerous times showing off all the crabs he caught. I grew up in Union Beach and now live in matawan. I remember when i was younger he would take and we would have a bushel full in 2-3 hours. Now im lucky if i get 2 dozen in 5-6 hours. Its been pretty bad
The man, The myth, THE LEGEND

Offline technologist

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 06:38:24 PM »
Hate to say it but it's probably true of everything that swims in the ocean! Without realistic laws and management our kids will be saying "I remember when we could catch a dozen crabs in one day"

Offline woodrufflou

• Woodruff Rod and Gun
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 02:35:55 AM »
i really hope it does not come to that  >:(

Offline Chris n

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 11:19:24 PM »
I went crabbing a few years ago with my mom and dad...lets just say we made a stop at the seafood market on the way home ;D
shut

Offline woodrufflou

• Woodruff Rod and Gun
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 10:08:41 PM »
Sorry to hear that Chris. Seems like every season crabbing gets worse and worse. Its getting bad.

Offline Chris n

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 04:09:59 PM »
Lou I think crabbing goes through phases...Like one year it will be really good, then maybe the next two will be lousy due to the hatch. I might be wrong but I think that crabs dont reproduce each year?probably wrong ;D
shut

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 08:00:14 PM »
Hi All,

Female blue crabs reach maturity after about 21 molts or so. At this point, they no longer molt (unlike males who continue to molt). At this point the females mate. Although the female mates only once, she may spawn several times. The sperm received is stored and used to fertilize the eggs of all future spawnings.

So, a female mates once but may spawn many times. Because you cannot be sure, throw them back.

As for the original post, eelgrass effects much more than crabs. The destruction of the eelgrass is not cyclical and anything that counts on that habitat will be effected in a negative way.

Have fun,

Capt. Ed

Offline woodrufflou

• Woodruff Rod and Gun
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 09:34:56 PM »
Lou I think crabbing goes through phases...Like one year it will be really good, then maybe the next two will be lousy due to the hatch. I might be wrong but I think that crabs dont reproduce each year?probably wrong Grin

haha maybe this year will be a good year. I have a few secret spots chris. Maybe one day in the summer you could come down here and ill take you with me bud.

Offline Chris n

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 09:45:39 PM »
sounds good Lou, but you need to learn how to catch a trout first ;D BTW, im guessing Kris is updating NJH?
shut

Offline woodrufflou

• Woodruff Rod and Gun
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 09:49:41 PM »
sounds good Lou, but you need to learn how to catch a trout first Grin BTW, im guessing Kris is updating NJH?

haha...thats gonne be my goal this year. Since all the fishing i do is saltwater, im gonna do some fresh water this year. Trout is first on my list, and the NJH server crashed. Not sure whats going on with that. Hopefully he will have it back up soon. Im going through withdrawals. Thank god for this site. This place is awesome aint it?

Offline Chris n

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 09:53:16 PM »
This place is great. It took me a while to figure out were everything is but im getting there :). Hopefully with the fishing season coming up more people will find the site and then we will have a great spot to share tips and techniques. I really want to learn a lot more about fishing at the shore..
shut

Offline woodrufflou

• Woodruff Rod and Gun
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 09:55:12 PM »
This place is great. It took me a while to figure out were everything is but im getting there Smiley. Hopefully with the fishing season coming up more people will find the site and then we will have a great spot to share tips and techniques. I really want to learn a lot more about fishing at the shore..

this is definitely the place to learn. I have a feeling this site is gonna take off real soon. Once the word gets out.

Offline Chris n

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 10:02:42 PM »
I really want to learn how to get some stripers on lures...yeah its easy on a boat cause you can find them with sonar but ive only caught one in the surf and it was a short. I catch fluke easy in the surf, blues are fun when you find them. I probably dont give it enought effort as me and my dad usually throw a few rods out with clam but hopefully I can get some tips on what to look for and the best 'go to lures.'
shut

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 08:59:57 PM »
Go to the Surf Forum and ask and read away...

http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?board=47.0

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-