Author Topic: Flukin tips  (Read 99895 times)

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Flukin tips
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2007, 09:26:12 AM »
Brand name of a jig.  I find the most productive colors are white and glow.  Tip it with a strip bait or gulp, they work great for fluking.
And...it is only a dumb question if it is not asked.  How else would you know?   t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2007, 06:12:38 PM »
I was rereading some posts and realized that I put the pic of the killie crate insert in the wrong topic.  For those who did not see it in the other topic, here it is.
It was made by my buddy Bob.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 12:16:10 PM by Hotrod »

Offline njdevil

• Skip work and fish.
  • Boat Name NJDEVIL
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2007, 06:45:27 PM »
How many killies does that handle?
A good friend will bail you out of jail, a true friend will be sitting along side of you and say " Man that was fun"

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2007, 08:04:27 PM »
I never really gave that any thought nor did I pay any attention to it.  I trap my own and just toss as many as I think we will use for the trip plus some extras.  I normally fish with six people on the boat and we have not ran out when we had them aboard.

Offline salty pig

• the pig
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2007, 10:37:49 AM »
I hear often of teasers. What does a teaser rig look like? and are they better? ??? ??? I usually buy the  fluke rigs sold every where and throw killie/squid on it. I want to try the jig  3-4oz spro with a cut strip or gulp (something) on it. Not sure if thats how you guys use the jigs.
'

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2007, 12:14:22 PM »
I hear often of teasers. What does a teaser rig look like? and are they better? ??? ??? I usually buy the  fluke rigs sold every where and throw killie/squid on it. I want to try the jig  3-4oz spro with a cut strip or gulp (something) on it. Not sure if thats how you guys use the jigs.
  all you do is put a spro off one of the sides of the swivel, approx 2 feet of leader.  Then tie a plain blank hook on the other side of the swivel.  Make that leader only 1 foot.  On that hook but a gulp bait.  On the spro but a large strip bait.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 02:59:24 PM by Luna Sea 3 »
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2007, 12:38:32 PM »
Hi Guys,

Luna's rig above works great.

I use it sometimes and it works, especially in the areas that are being fished right now ... shallow water in a sandy or muddy bottom.

Thanks,

Capt. Ed

Offline Flukedood

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2007, 12:40:09 PM »
  all you do is put a spro off one of the sides of the swivel, approx 2 feet of leader.  Then tie a since blank hook on the other side of the swivel.  Make that leader only 1 foot.  On that hook but a gulp bait.  On the spro but a large strip bait.

A 3 way swivel Luna?? you dont happen to have a picture do you??
I spend 90% of my time fishing, The rest I just waste..

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2007, 12:43:20 PM »
same rig I was fishing sat. but w/ a bucktail instead of wieght

Offline Flukedood

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2007, 12:45:00 PM »
Hmm I thought you had a fish finder rig on??

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2007, 12:48:59 PM »

First off, I stopped buying store fluke rigs many years ago & started tying my own. I found that the hooks on the store bought rigs were extremley dull (although if you buy store rigs at The Outdoorsman in Fairview they use Gamakatsu hooks--I like/use alot of thier strore rigs--but I digress). Also, I'm not a big fan of all the extra jewelery most store rigs have (spinners, spin-n-glos, alot of beads etc.).

The basic fluke rig that I tie for inshore/bay and river fluking is very simple. I'll use a 36" piece of straight (not coiled) #20 mono. At one end tie a Spro barrel swivel and that the other snell a 3/0 Gamkatsu octopus hook (4/0 & #30 leader) if I'm fishing deep channels or some deep ocean spots).

To add a teaser to the above rig is very simple. Tie in a 2" dropper loop about 14"s above the snelled hook. I'll then take a small duo-lock snap, open both ends of it & secure the smaller end on to the dropper loop, to the larger end of the snap I'll place what ever teaser I plan on using & close the snap. The snap allows you to A:easily change teasers and B: makes it easier to get the teaser out of the net if it becomes entangled in it.

For bouncing a Spro bucktail I'll use the same piece of #20 leader (#30 if I'm fishing a reef, wreck or other rough bottom), use a Homer-Rhode loop knot to attach the Spro. Sometimes I'll tie in a dropper for a teaser on this rig & other times wont.

There are many styles of teasers that I'll use; clouser minnows, soft plastic, shrimp imitators, 1/4 ounce bucktails, feathered hooks, 2/0 baitholder hook with sometype of GULP product and at times just a lively kilie on a small hook.

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2007, 12:55:50 PM »
Hi Flukedood,

I am only speaking for myself on this.

I use fishfinder rigs 90% of the time. I like them for fluking and Sea Bass in the areas I fish (very sticky and deep and we lose a lot of terminal tackle).

I used a three way swivel with a 6 Oz. SPRO or 8 oz. chrome ball off a one ft. leader on one of the three ways; a 30" snelled 4/0 Kahle hook on a 30" 20 lb. fluro leader on another three way; and of course the main line tied off to the third three way for the JCAA tournament the other day.

Why?

1. I fished mostly in shallow water with a sandy bottom. No chance to really get snagged and lose gear.

2. Two hooks are better than one in a tournament if you are fishing the right area.

That is my $.02.

It is a great question though ... when will certain rigs "out perform" others?

I would hate to keep losing SPROs if I used them in deep, "sticky" bottoms ...

BTW, the term "sticky" for me means lots of structure (i.e. rocks, wrecks, etc.) and a high potential to get hung up. We have it almost down to a science to only lose the hook these days - lead weight is expensive compared to the hook.

I will let Catfish answer for himself.

Thanks,

Capt. Ed

Offline Flukedood

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2007, 12:57:01 PM »
To add a teaser to the above rig is very simple. Tie in a 2" dropper loop about 14"s above the snelled hook. I'll then take a small duo-lock snap, open both ends of it & secure the smaller end on to the dropper loop, to the larger end of the snap I'll place what ever teaser I plan on using & close the snap. The snap allows you to A:easily change teasers and B: makes it easier to get the teaser out of the net if it becomes entangled in it.

I use this same rig except I dont use the snap.. I just thread the loop the the eye and around.. I was thinking of adding a snap but thought maybe the metal may affect the bite.. I guess it doesnt..

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2007, 01:49:59 PM »
Hmm I thought you had a fish finder rig on??
on the front rod I didnt

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2007, 03:02:33 PM »
I will use a ball jig, like the above post when I am fishing deep water where I need a heavier jig.  The spro's as of now come up to a 4oz.  Sometimes you may need more weight.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2007, 03:04:03 PM »

I use this same rig except I dont use the snap.. I just thread the loop the the eye and around.. I was thinking of adding a snap but thought maybe the metal may affect the bite.. I guess it doesnt..

Capt. Ed.  What do you consider shallow water fishing for Fluke.  My thoughts are 30' or less.  If I fish deeper water, then I use a single hook with a heavy weight instead of the jig head. 

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline njdevil

• Skip work and fish.
  • Boat Name NJDEVIL
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2007, 07:02:42 PM »
How well does this rig work off the surf? Should you shorten the leader lenghts and what lb test?
A good friend will bail you out of jail, a true friend will be sitting along side of you and say " Man that was fun"

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2007, 07:26:24 PM »
Hi Nick,

I agree about 30 ft.

However, I still try to use the three way rigs if in the sand.

I find that if I am fishing deeper than 30 ft., I am usually around structure.

If I fished in "no hang zones" I would use the three way swivel almost exclusively.

To anyone that asked or wondered ... if you cast with this setup, it is a high probablility that it will foul.

Also, if I am using it near structure with a weight instead of a SPRO, I use 6 lb. test line to snap the weight off if it gets snagger. The more the rig is in the water, the more time catching. I see too many people wasting too much time trying to save termianl tackle.

BTW, it would be a good topic to start about how to "un-snag" yourself or even how to break off a line that is snagged, especially with braid.

Thanks,

Ed

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2007, 09:15:48 PM »
Hi Nick,

I agree about 30 ft.

However, I still try to use the three way rigs if in the sand.

I find that if I am fishing deeper than 30 ft., I am usually around structure.

If I fished in "no hang zones" I would use the three way swivel almost exclusively.

To anyone that asked or wondered ... if you cast with this setup, it is a high probablility that it will foul.

Also, if I am using it near structure with a weight instead of a SPRO, I use 6 lb. test line to snap the weight off if it gets snagger. The more the rig is in the water, the more time catching. I see too many people wasting too much time trying to save termianl tackle.

BTW, it would be a good topic to start about how to "un-snag" yourself or even how to break off a line that is snagged, especially with braid.

Thanks,

Ed

I also use a light leader when fishing on structure.  If I get snagged using Braid while drifting, I just hold the spool and the line will snap right at the swivel where the mono leader and the braid meet..

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2007, 11:39:30 PM »
For braid, if you get snagged, do not grab the line and wrap it around your hand and pull on it.  It WILL cut you and cut you deep.
I will either wrap the line around my reel (depending on the reel I am using) or wrap it around a dowel I keep on the boat just for this purpose.  The line will either come free or break at the weakest joint, thus the use of a lighter leader on the sinker.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-