Author Topic: 6-3 Manasquan Area Fishing  (Read 1139 times)

Offline djtdmd

• Vessel "SCORPIO"
6-3 Manasquan Area Fishing
« on: June 04, 2009, 12:16:56 PM »
Broke Inlet around 11am, Lots of bunker just south of inlet, livelined area, no Bass under them. Sounder showed some stuff in middle of column, even sent some bunker down with a weight and sliding rig. No takers. One guy said he got 3 stripers earlier bet. 9-11am off Long Branch. No striper action, moved to Sea Girt Reef (Southern tip) for fluke around 2pm, 3 short, one keeper on pink smimming mullet gulp. Came in around 4pm. Got a couple of questions for you guys- I hear alot of you fill your baitwells up early am with bunker, then use them throughout the day. OK, but are you not supposed to liveline where the bunker are? Some of you have favorite spots- are there bunker there? Structure? How do you know to go there? Sounder/ Fishfinder? Do you ever send live bunker down in the absence of breaking bunker in the area? A little help would be appreciated... also hello to Joe from the Irish Ayes...Thanks alot!

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: 6-3 Manasquan Area Fishing
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 01:40:27 PM »
I hear alot of you fill your baitwells up early am with bunker, then use them throughout the day. OK, but are you not supposed to liveline where the bunker are?

I have not been on a boat in many, many years.  However, when I used to go out with my father and uncle, we always went looking for bunker to start the day off.  We would fill the live well and if there was action around we would snag and live line the bunker out and down.  We always worked the bait pods until we had exhausted all efforts at finding fish on them.  You should always give line lining a try around bait, since it would be probably that fish would be around and feeding on them.

Some of you have favorite spots- are there bunker there? Structure? How do you know to go there? Sounder/ Fishfinder? Do you ever send live bunker down in the absence of breaking bunker in the area?

Our favorite spots would sometimes have bait on them, sometimes not.  Most of our favorite places to fish were based on structure/depth changes in the water or on water near currents.  Many of the places were found by luck and repetitive catching, some were located with electronics and some were just personal preference.  We always used a variety of bait when on a spot.  Live bait if we had it, chunked, clams, artificials, etc...and any combination of all of them.  It was always trial and error and when we narrowed down our options, we narrowed down catching(kind of like fishing with only lures and never using bait...lessens your chance of catching).  You really have to experiment and go by trial and error.  Just like any hobby(which fishing is for most), you get better the more you do it.

Hope this helps a little.  I am sure there is much better advice from some of the regular boat fishermen who have a lot more experience than me.

Good luck!

TT^

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 02:46:17 PM »
We do,live line right in the bunker but at times they do not feed... Right place right time... Most Times earlymorning and late afternoon are best while in midday they lay low.

Sometimes one school of bunker wont have stripers on them when another pod will be loaded... sometimes they all do... morning bite afternoon bite it always changing.

When they arent biting we usaully take the bunker to good fish holding structure or deeper water where they reside many times when not blowing up on the bunker....

Different every day

Good Luck next time out!!!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 02:51:13 PM by Capt -Jerry P »

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 08:38:15 PM »
 whs  <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-