Author Topic: Point Pleasant Canal 6/27 ( Evening)  (Read 1840 times)

Offline wink_man

Point Pleasant Canal 6/27 ( Evening)
« on: June 27, 2008, 08:16:05 PM »
Went down to the canal early evening, I figuered the fish may hit due to the storm coming in, but wasn't overly enthused, bacause I've only caught one striper this year in the afternoon, all the rest have been early morning, about half before daylight. I also wanted to see if the pattern I found this morning was holding up, and the fish were up against the wall. Furthermore, the real intention was to try out a new outfit. Where I am fishing is getting extremely brushy now with second growth, and I wanted to try a 6 foot outfit, figuring it might be easier in the brushy areas. I much prefer an outfit 6 foot 9 inches or longer, even in a boat, but sometimes a shorter rod is necessary. I had put together a 20 pound outfit based on a 6 foot Quantum graphite musky rod, and a reel that weighs 9 ounces, yet holds 185 yards of 20 pound braid, which should be more than I need. total weight of the outfit is a mere 14 ounces, and as I found out, a pleasure to jig with.

SOOOOOOO, I start fishing about 6PM, with the water due to go slack about 6:30. 3rd cast against the wall, and yes, the pattern is holding up, I catch a striper about 20 inches, and I am bitching to myself that they are getting smaller, and I'd love to try this outfit out on a 10 pounder to see what it can do.

So that one goes back in the water, and I continue on the pattern I found this morning, working the Fin-S fish right against the wall, casting parallel to it, and jigging it back to me. About 10 casts later, I get another hit, set the hook, and this fish takes off pulling drag like I don't even have a drag set,LMAO. All the way across the canal and then heading south towards the bridge. I was determined to land the fish where I stood, and not follow it, but it got a little hairy with a boat coming, and this fish doing what he pleased. I waved the boat across to the other side and had the fish in the middle of the canal now coming towards me. 2 more boats coming right down the middle, but I had the fish on my side of the canal, under control and he was tiring. Finally put the net under him, and brought him up. The new outfit worked like a dream, and had enough power that I could control the fish and turn him, so I landed him where I stood. Also, it was a pleasure to get to break a new rod in on something other than a blasted bluefish. Fish was 32 inches, 12 pounds 5 ounces, so lost9340 is still beating me at 13 pounds 2 ounces so far this year, but I get mine on artificials, not live bait, LMAO.

Shortly after I caught the fish, lost9340 called me from Toms River, letting me know a storm was coming my way, told him I was aware, could see it in the distance, and was fishing my way back to the truck. Storm came faster than expected, so I cut the fishing short and got in the truck at 7:10, just in time to beat it. Overall, a great day, 5 stripers, one keeper, all on artificials, and a new lightweight rod broken in, and it proved itself reliable under a few adverse conditions.

Garry

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
Re: Point Pleasant Canal 6/27 ( Evening)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 09:49:30 PM »
 hella job on it, and great report t^
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline dapbmw

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 10:08:47 PM »
garry,

damn i want to fish too.. (two more weeks before i get to jersey). striper steaks on the grill with lemon and butter..........yummy.

nice catch!

cheers,
dave

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 10:12:13 PM »
Thanks for the report. Any fish is a good fish.  t^ <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 10:14:28 PM »
Garry, Nice job and great report. Felt I was there with you.Nice way to break in the new stuff.

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 10:15:48 PM »
I went to an Asian market on rt. 35 in middletown today to see if they had whole smelts for flukin sat. anyway I was looking at their fresh fish and they had stripers about that size for sale. It's a shame we have to throw those back but they can sell them for 5 dollars a pound sad.
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline wink_man

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 10:33:36 PM »
I went to an Asian market on rt. 35 in middletown today to see if they had whole smelts for flukin sat. anyway I was looking at their fresh fish and they had stripers about that size for sale. It's a shame we have to throw those back but they can sell them for 5 dollars a pound sad.

Uncle Luna,
     Far as I know, sale of stripers is prohibited, period. Unless those fish are commercially raised hybrids, it's illegal to sell them. If you want, I can PM you the name and cell phone number of the Conservation Officer of the Marine enforcement unit for this area, and you can report it to him, and he WILL check it out.

Garry

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-