Author Topic: fluke off the hook 2.....bait pics  (Read 10514 times)

Offline soxfanjp

• Full Member of the Den
fluke off the hook 2.....bait pics
« on: June 25, 2007, 07:00:49 PM »
hey guys, thank you so much for the help and the recommendations on how to land my first fluke fo the season.  the only thing is i'm VERY new at this, this is only my second season and i'm learing on my own as i go.  i've already learned why i'm cathing the sea robins and not fluke is because i don't have moving bait or jigs, i'm just setting my pole and waiting.  i'm not too sure what a ball jig or a teaser is or how to even tie a good fluke rig.  do you think maybe someone could send me a pic or two of some good rigs for fluke or does anyone at least know of a good site where i can learn how to tie up some rigs?!  thanks so much for your help, please keep it coming!!
It's not how deep you fish, it's how you wiggle your worm!"

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: fluke off the hook 2.....bait pics
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 07:33:26 PM »
the best suggestion I can give you it, goto the surf forum and hook up with someone who knows what he is doing and fish with him, watch, and learn.  There are many people on this site that will help you out.  Just put up a post of a particular day you will be on the beach, and ask if someone here will join you.  Good luck.

Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Flukedood

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 07:34:42 PM »
Soxfan where are you in jersey??
I spend 90% of my time fishing, The rest I just waste..

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 07:47:11 PM »
Hi,

You can get info on rigs here. Why would we send you to another site?

Ok ...

1. Become friends with the folks at your local Bait and Tackle. I get better bait, prices and information for loyalty.

2. You can never beat a spearing and piece of squid as the basic bait.

3. Learn to tie the following knots: snell (for attaching the hook to a leader); uni (for attaching swivels and other terminal tackle); surgeon's knot (for making loops in the line). You can do 99% of what you want to do in fishing with these knots.

What knots do you know how to tie?

4. Go buy some 30 lb. test leader. Fluorocarbon is nice but not necessary. you can pick up 25 yds. for around $3.00.

5. Go buy yourself some good (Spro or Fischer) barrel swivels (around 90 lb. test). You get 100 for about $15.

6. Go buy yourself some "fishfinders." There is a picture below. They cost about $18.00 for 100.

7. You will als0 need weights for the area. Buy an assortment of 2-8 oz. "bank sinkers."

8. Go buy some Mustad 4/0 English style (also called kahle or fluke) hooks. You get them for about $10.00 for 100.

Or better yet, go to your local Bait and Tackle or even Walmart and pickup 4/0 fluke hooks with a pre-tied 36 inch leader. They cost around $2.00 or $3.00 for 6 or 12.

9. Take one of the pre-tied, snelled hooks with the 36 inch leader. Cut off the loop they make in the top.

10. Using a knot such as a uni (or Palomer, etc.) tie the leader to one end of the barrel swivel.

11. Take the fishfinder and slide it onto your main fishing line. Then tie the main line to the remaining open end of the barrel swivel.

12. Attach a weight to the clasp on the fishfinder.

13. Attach squid to hook by putting the hook in near the top only once. Then put a piece of spearing on through the eyes. You can use 2 spearing, one on each side of the squid if you find the bait is being stolen.

14. Cast out. It is not a long cast contest. Learn to read drop-offs, and outflows (cuts in bars). You can easily see them in the water. Drop-offs have an area of darker looking water, sort of a pool within the ocean. Outflows serve as a funnel for the outgoing water from previous waves that have come to shore. They have faster moving water than the surrounding water. When in doubt, work an area then move if it is not productive until you learn to find good spots. BTW, find places that have structure (i.e. jetties, clam beds, etc.). Where there is structure there is bait. Where there is bait, there is predators. If you are catching sea robins, you are near a decent spot. So, it is not how far you throw it but where.

Does this help a bit? You should have 10 million questions that we can answer now to refine your techniques.

Thanks,

Capt. Ed

« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 08:11:52 PM by Capt. Ed »

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 07:58:13 PM »
Hi,

Please note on the pictures above:

1. The picture with the yellow fishfinder has a three way swivel for advanced rigs.

2. The picture with the white fishfinder is the rig I described.

3. The beads serve many purposes. The bead near the swivel protects the knot from the fishfinder. The bead on top of the fishfinder protects the tip of your rod if you reel in too much line. It will stop the fishfinder with the weight from hitting it.

The beads cost about $3.00 for 100 (#6 or #8 in orange or red) at any craft store.

4. If you use braided line (such as power pro) get fishfinders for braid. They have yellow or teal color. If you are using mono, then use the white ones.

Good luck,

Capt. Ed

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 08:11:47 PM »
Capt. Ed, Very Very good explaining you do. LOL  ;) I am a descent surf fisherman and i do alot of fluke fishing off sandy hook, almost every weekend in the summer, and some weekdays. Now i do have one question though. Some guys that i see fishing off the surf, it looks like about 2 feet above there hook/bait, they have like a green rubber lure of some sort. WHAT am i seeing? Thanks

Fish On
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 08:16:32 PM »
Hi,

A teaser (probably a sand eel or spearing pattern)that is not necessary. This is the first step toward getting fancy. Adding dropper loops and other "jewelry" (that is what I call all the crap people use for rigs that is not necessary) adds to tangles and bad presentations.

To be a successful fisherman, you need:

1. Good presentation
2. Good location
3. Time on the water (with a sprinkle of luck)

Keep it simple and learn how to locate fish; learn how to work the rig; learn how to hook the fish; and learn that you can always learn something new.

And if you are on a boat, use the right amount of lead.

I have been fishing the beaches since I could hold a rod (that is over 44 yrs.). I am still a novice fisherman. A little bit of humility goes a long way!

Keep it simple guys,

Capt. Ed
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 08:20:25 PM by Capt. Ed »

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 08:19:34 PM »
 t^ t^

Fish On
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 08:27:34 PM »
Hi everyone,

My favorate motto Capt. Ed.

Bring your camera tomorrow I think all you need is a good lense cleaning.  I have a special cloth I use on my lenses.  We'll see if we can clear things up for ya.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 08:43:06 PM »
 t^ t^

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline soxfanjp

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 11:10:08 PM »
Capt. Ed, that was GREAT!!  JUST WHAT I NEEDED!!  I'ts definately nice to have somewhere to start from.  I can't thank you all enough for your contributions and I'm sure I'll be here again with more questions, I'm just so glad I found this place with so many knowledgeable people.  THANKS AGAIN!! t^ t^

Offline tomc76

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 09:50:26 AM »
Hey Capt. Ed, That is really some solid knowledge there. Very useful, instructive and precise. You seem to be against the teaser, which is something I was going to try next week off of LBI. I might have to reconsider. Keep it simple.
 t^Thanks.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 05:34:05 PM »
Capt. Ed, that was GREAT!!  JUST WHAT I NEEDED!!  I'ts definately nice to have somewhere to start from.  I can't thank you all enough for your contributions and I'm sure I'll be here again with more questions, I'm just so glad I found this place with so many knowledgeable people.  THANKS AGAIN!! t^ t^
Your payback is to Refer a friend  t^

Offline soxfanjp

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 06:31:47 PM »
I've been trying to get a few of my friends into it, they say they don't have the patience.  I'll get the word out and try to get a few more "fish heads" here!! TT^

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 06:59:02 PM »
soxfan,
 get them into it,it is one of the best hobbies you can do and enjoy yourself

Offline soxfanjp

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 08:20:29 PM »
i have one friend almost convinced because he likes to smoke cigars.  i told him he'll have more than enough time to smoke a cigar on the beach while he fishes, he's almost sold t^

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 08:30:30 PM »
i have one friend almost convinced because he likes to smoke cigars.  i told him he'll have more than enough time to smoke a cigar on the beach while he fishes, he's almost sold t^
Cigars on the beach, you can't get better then that.... especially at around 8 pm...   Ahhhhhhh

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline CAPT. JOHN K.

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 05:53:25 PM »
I always start out with a plain hook rig whether I'm on a boat or in the surf. Sometimes this will not produce results. In that case I'll try a teaser rig consisting of a SPRO bucktail that has a dropper loop above it(about 6 inches)with a 2/0 hook that has the tail end of a Fin-S on it. I use this rig primarily on boats as it won't tangle as much as if it were rolling around in the surf. It seems that most hook ups are on the teaser. My favorite color SPRO is the Green & White with a green teaser. It's called fishing and that's why things change from hour to hour & day to day. All of this is aimed at catching Fluke.   Just my take. Tight lines.
"Fishing," as close to heaven as I'll ever get!

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 07:35:21 PM »
Very nice. I have never used those Spro's yet, I did buy one the other day but never got a chance to put it in my line as for the Gulp Baits with a squid strip were doing the job. No keepers but tons of shorts, and a few that just missed the size limit. I will throw on a White Spro with a slice of squid next time i go (Wednesday July 4th), and see how that does. You wouldnt put any extra weight on with the Spro, as for that already has weight in it.
 Thanks

Fish On

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 08:31:34 PM »
Very nice. I have never used those Spro's yet, I did buy one the other day but never got a chance to put it in my line as for the Gulp Baits with a squid strip were doing the job. No keepers but tons of shorts, and a few that just missed the size limit. I will throw on a White Spro with a slice of squid next time i go (Wednesday July 4th), and see how that does. You wouldnt put any extra weight on with the Spro, as for that already has weight in it.
 Thanks

Fish On
  Like i told you in the past, gulp, squid on a 3oz spro and you will have a killer day.

Team Luna Sea 6

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-