Author Topic: Low Profile Baitcasters!  (Read 1905 times)

Offline keng8554

• Full Member of the Den
Low Profile Baitcasters!
« on: February 07, 2011, 11:43:33 AM »
Hey guys!

I'm an avid freshwater bass fisherman, being so I'm very fond of my low profile casting reels; particularly Revos. I also like to surf fish when I can, this is actually where I started fishing. Anyway, has anyone used the TORO series for casting plugs? They are rated for plenty of line and drag and seem they be an option. The low profile reel will keep me in my comfort zone.

Thanks,
Kenji

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Re: Low Profile Baitcasters!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 11:15:15 PM »
Welcome to the site Keng! t^

I've never owned a Toro, but fwiw I've fished a Shimano Curado 300DSV for a couple of years now.  I've used it for both casting and jigging from a boat and have caught stripers, bluefish, sea bass  and fluke on it.

I have it loaded with about 250 yds of 40 lb braid.  It's a great caster and has a ton of power for a 6.2:1 reel!

The newer model of this reel is the Curado 300E.  I think the only difference is that they added a bearing and changed the color.

Hope that helps.
-Bob

Offline keng8554

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 11:41:44 AM »
Thanks. So I guess you've given me hints at corrosion resistance and power.  So my other questions would be in regards to casting distance and arm fatigue.  Would a spinning reel have an advantage for tossing 1-3 oz. Baits in these regards?

I would probably consider a bearing upgrade.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 05:42:27 PM »
The Curado is a great caster.  However, if you're really looking for distance from the surf I would think you will do better with a spinner or a larger conventional.

As far as arm fatigue, if you match it to a nice light rod you could probably cast that Curado all day. t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-