Author Topic: Wave Periods?  (Read 2294 times)

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
Wave Periods?
« on: May 03, 2012, 12:05:13 PM »
I'm trying to really understand wind period. I think I have it about understood but, want to be sure what I have read is correct....

Period is how long something takes to happen. In this case how long it takes for a wave to pass, correct? So, if a wave has a shorter period it would be over sooner. When looking at periods would you think a wave with a small or longer period would be a better condition? I would thnk longer would be more like swells and easier to transit.

Thoughts?

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
Re: Wave Periods?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 12:09:03 PM »
I'm trying to really understand wind period. I think I have it about understood but, want to be sure what I have read is correct....

Period is how long something takes to happen. In this case how long it takes for a wave to pass, correct? So, if a wave has a shorter period it would be over sooner. When looking at periods would you think a wave with a small or longer period would be a better condition? I would thnk longer would be more like swells and easier to transit.

Thoughts?

I think wave period is the time from tip to tip of the wave.  Long period waves are much more maneuverable as you slowly ascend and descend them.  It's the short period swells that start compressing your spine from the pounding.
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 12:09:43 PM »
Fred YES longer period the better--shorter--goes to chop

Remember--this is wave not wife  thud thud thud

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 12:40:29 PM »
if you have a 5' swell, at 15 seconds, that isn't bad at all.  That means every 15 seconds, you get the swell.  A 2' swell at 3 seconds, means before your boat is off the first swell, the second one is already on top of you, hence more of a chop. 
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 01:25:35 PM »
Yes, wave period is the time between waves. As Nick said, shorter the wave period, worse chop.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Duffman

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 07:32:35 PM »
Regardless of height, I always look at wave period.   

6 second rule.  If its 6 or under, your in for hell.  7 and up ya start looking at wave height, wind speed and direction.  From that point, make your decision when/where/if to go.

Of course, every boat (and captain)  can handle different situations differently, so plan accordingly.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-