Author Topic: new kayak, horrible fisherman  (Read 6485 times)

Offline TheGuyFromNJ

new kayak, horrible fisherman
« on: September 22, 2012, 12:09:22 PM »
Hello all. I'm new to kayaking and new to saltwater fishing. 

I see a lot of guys are north or east doing ocean fishing and I don't think i am ready for that.  But I am looking for anyone that fishes the Delaware bay near or south of the Delaware bridge.

I have next to zero experience saltwater fishing so any tips or warm spots would be great too.

I'm usually off Sundays and Mondays if anyone in the area is interested in showing me some ropes.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: new kayak, horrible fisherman
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 12:11:14 PM »
 grtn

;D  Love you title t^ wa

Offline Mr Limpett

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 12:40:03 PM »
Good luck!
"I wish I was a fish"
-Mr Limpet

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 01:02:37 PM »

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 07:10:28 PM »
Welcome aboard.  I am not a kayak guy buy we do have a kayak forum here that is frequented by some solid fisherman.  You'll find more fishing info than you can imagine here. 
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 08:03:10 PM »
 wa t^

Offline TheGuyFromNJ

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 11:04:23 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes.

I have been reading through the kayak sections, not really finding much on the Delaware bay side though.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 12:17:10 AM »
Welcome Aboard,

Not many if any ans I think you are the first from this site to even think about t=fishing the Delaware river or Bay for that matter.  My main spots are in the Barnegate Bay as that is where I call home living in Toms River. 

Maybe you could keep us informed of your jaunts down there as I am sure many of us would love to give it a try but like any area that is new it takes time to scout out.

As far as looking for places to fish I am sure most fall into the same category and that is looking for the best structure.  Pilings, piers, docks and deep cuts that are only visible by using a fish finder.  Plus I am sure there are plenty of submerged boats that tons of fish call home.

My rig is pretty full of stuff and ready for some fishing but with tow artificial hips my ability to go out in the surf is pretty much nill.  That is why I stick to the bays.  There are guys on here like kayak1 that travels and is a seasoned kayaker that I am sure will jump in here soon to put in his 2 cents.

Keep us all informed of your outings ans I am sure you will be catching fish before long down south.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 12:00:04 PM »
 wa You said ZERO experience . That does not sound to good do you have others that you will be with. The bay is not a place to start. Small lake first. All safety gear and  learning proper Paddling is what you should be thinking. You have to paddle with another paddler that has experience. Been there done it more then 25 years of Kayaking River, Bay, Lakes, Ocean surf launching. Many states including Alaska, Its not as easy as it looks. I do not want to read about you. Bill
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 12:01:30 PM by overbite »

Offline TheGuyFromNJ

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 07:21:37 AM »
My zero experience is in saltwater fishing.  I have plenty of time in lakes and streams fishing from my kayak, but I'm looking for bigger fish.  I'm not looking to fish the Continental shelf, but I'm good for 5-6 miles.
My girlfriend and I usually go out together, so I am rarely alone on the water, but she has even less experience fishing saltwater.

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 07:24:57 PM »
Hello all. I'm new to kayaking and new to saltwater fishing.  

I see a lot of guys are north or east doing ocean fishing and I don't think i am ready for that.  But I am looking for anyone that fishes the Delaware bay near or south of the Delaware bridge.

I have next to zero experience saltwater fishing so any tips or warm spots would be great too.

I'm usually off Sundays and Mondays if anyone in the area is interested in showing me some ropes.

I AM NEW TO KAYAKING AND SALTWATER FISHING YOUR WORDS, 5hrug
Any way to start fishing in salt water is coming to a fast closing ( Water Temp ) will be against you that's were dry suits come into play they are costly and other cool and then cold water gear is needed. My advise to you is do a online search for Fishing Kayak
 ( Paddling )fishing clubs -Blogs- Forums I was in contact with some down that way, there are many as www.kayakfishingstuff.com  most active and others connected to them, this is no longer a kayak supply site that went belly up.  fcp.   Bill
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 07:40:37 PM by overbite »

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 06:53:26 AM »
I would take some time to get as much information about saltwater fishing as possible...... Kayak fishing a farm pond or lake is nothing like the bay or ocean

With saltwater we have strong currents and rips....Add a little wind and we have major problems. The Delaware River can be a very nasty place to just kayak.

If you have questions......Ask away....I will help as much as I can.

Kayak-1
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:55:17 AM by kayak1 »
The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 09:09:01 AM »
 whs whs whs
Listen and heed his words.
Learning Safety is first and having the proper gear and knowledge is first.
Learning to Kayak second. You may think you know how but proper paddling and control is second.
Fishing last. looks easy till a large Blue or bass takes you for a sleigh ride and flips you.
. Bill

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 09:45:56 AM »
 whs whs whs whs ;D

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 05:55:05 PM »
Trust me after 20 plus years of kayak fishing the bay and ocean from Maine to Florida......Fishing for Saltwater fish can just be a real challenge on a kayak.

A 40 pound Bass or 100 pound Tarpon can do some damage to a person sitting on a kayak.....Every year I see new kayak fisherman going out to snag some bunker in the spring.....some make it out past the the big waves others pay the price.

Some days I will swim out past the waves and then get in the yak.....Then jump out on the return in just so I don't lose my gear or my life.

A calm day with a West wind can be the worst day on the water....The West wind can push your Yak well offshore.....Been there and it's not fun.

Kayak fishing is a blast and We sure want you to enjoy it......Start small and work your way up.....I also think its great that you have someone to go with who enjoys the same sport...... I just think your wording was off.....NEW KAYAK and BAD FISHERMAN.....Those two don't mix.

KAYAK-1
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 05:59:44 PM by kayak1 »
The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

Offline TheGuyFromNJ

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 07:25:09 PM »
It all sounds like good advice, thanks for taking the time to reply.

As in all things, you think you know what you are doing and see someone else doing it different and it all makes sense.

I'm very confident in the lakes and ponds, even some of the smaller waters off the bay, I have yet to venture out to the main river or bay yet.

I know starting this time of year the weather is against me in terms to cold water, and all the fancy dry suits and whatnot are not in the budget yet, so I guess I will stick to fall bass and leave the stripers for spring.

Thanks again all, and I did find a bunch more kayak sites for research.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 09:01:46 PM »
 t^  Let us know how your making out..

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 11:01:47 PM »
Kayak1 guess you started out in SINKS as I did I always preferred them over SOTS till I got older and SOTS made it easier  for me. I took a lot of BS over that issue. I to stared some 25 or more years ago, when not many even thought about kayaking.I was talked out of a Canoe to a kayak, and glad I did, Learned the hard way on many issues.The Jersey Paddler was not there yet. He sold kayaks out of a gas station, as a start to what it is today. my first one was from a main dealer Old Town. All in All might of had 8 or more over time. I even motorized one 16 FT Pemlico Excell 35lb thrust elect motor. I finished up with a Tarpon 120 all were loaded with bells and whistles and electronics. and many safety items.  Also had the pleasure of paddling a true Eskimo native built kayak in Alaska in Homer one summer. where I learned to steer with the knees, not The rudders I had on all my rides. hope to hear some of your story's here. Maybe start a new post.    Kayak1

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 11:11:18 PM »
Enough already just refer to Kayaking 101 by DAK to posts up on the  kayak forum it says volumes about kayaking read it and heed it. Bill

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-