Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
UNCLE
« on: December 16, 2010, 01:07:02 PM »
From The Surf

By Paul Danielczyk

Well, its time to cry UNCLE.  This cold has done me in this year.  It is time to look for things to do inside to get ready for next years Spring Run.  That’s right I am thinking about the Spring run even though the bass are still here and those brave souls that are venturing out are still catching it is a tad to cold for these old bones.

I had to get out of the house today for a while just to do something I wanted to do and not be bothered by that honey do stuff.  Well, living so close to the bay and ocean it was not long to get to the sight of water and I have to tell you the scene from the Mathis Bridge going over to Seaside Heights was chilling.  The bay is frozen over, with a few open spots here and there but still frozen.  When you walk on the beach you do not sink into it very much as it too is frozen.

I stopped into a couple of B&T’s to see what is going on and found that Betty and Nicks is having a pretty good deal on their Gift Certificates for Christmas, and Grumpys  is gearing up for a contest that starts January 1st.  They are calling it the “Polar Bear Bass Tournament”.  If you are interested stop in the shop and fill out the entry form.  It starts 5:00 a.m., Saturday, January 1, 2011 and ends 10:00 p.m., Friday, April 1, 2011.  The entrance fee is only $10.00 and is for New Jersey OCEAN waters only.  Stop in the shop for further information.  There are other great things going on around as well, stop into the --------- for some great deals as well.  Patronize all our sponsor here, Christmas is a time to show the love.

This weekend will be a time to clean out the beach buggy and see all the stuff I thought I lost but was just hiding under stuff that I forgot I had but now have doubles of.  The list for next years have to do is growing and it looks like this winter will be a busy one in anticipation for another great Spring Run.  I have already started to work on tying new teasers for the early bass and maybe even a Weakfish here and there, I can wish can’t I. 

I am going to make a couple of gaffs that will help me haul in those monster blues from the rock wall at the end of Island Beach State park.  Replenishing Hi-Lo rigs for next year is a must as well.  Remember to use smaller hooks and smaller baits for early fish as the bass are still not moving to fast and their metabolism rate has slowed way down and digestion of larger bait will just not happen.

Going through the plug bag I see the need to get that back up to where it was, maybe Santa will come across with some new stuff there.  There is a need to start planning out next years strategies as well.  I am hoping to get the kayak in a bit sooner as it is put in storage and is up in the rafters all nice and snug for the winter.

I will be trying out some new things over the winter and I will be writing some articles on them.  One is a product that has been out for a while but new to me, it is called UV Knot Sense, it is a UV cured epoxy coating that hardens when a UV light is shined on it.  I have been using it for my epoxy heads on the flies and teasers.  Great stuff, but time will tell.

So for new I would like to wish a very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year to all or our family of anglers and your families, from our family.  May Santa be good to you, but most of all may your New Year be full limit outs and tight lines.

Till next time.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
Re: UNCLE
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 03:47:27 PM »
Nice write up Paul!   t^

I'll be using the cold weather to hunker down in the garage/mancave, readying myself for the spring as well.  Just got the heater going out there so I'm ready!  I'm hoping to have a nice collection of plugs made by the time the fishing gets going again.   TT^
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 04:56:25 PM »
 t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 10:49:14 PM »
I wish I could get a heater out in the garage but it is a big garage and it would take a big unit for that.  Maybe next year I can put a gas unit in we'll see.

In the mean time I am going to have to stick to sharing some rooms in the house or redo the studio a bit.

Lets see, how do I get the rod wrapper in there to handle a 14 footer...LOL

IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 07:46:37 AM »
 t^

I've started packing things onto the shelves for winter. 
I'm hoping to get things moving on plug building soon.  Also picked up a new vise for tying teasers and tails.  And of coarse there will be the usual equipment maintenance and rig tying. 
Looking forward to the spring season.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 01:17:23 PM »
Sounds good Chris.  I just might try my hand at hand carving a plug or two.  I don't know how that will turn out though.  I have seen some pretty awesome ones that were hand carved years ago and they are starting to make a come back.  I guess they are more for collectors than fishermen.

Should be cool though.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 09:09:44 AM »
My heater is nothing special.  Just one of these 40,000 BTU blasters.  Works well.  My garage is insulated so it holds the heat decently. 

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 12:12:04 PM »
How long does the tank last?
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 12:16:48 PM »
A few hours at least.  I run it until the garage warms up and turn it back on when it cools down.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 12:21:20 PM »
nice.
IN GOD WE TRUST

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-