Author Topic: Cod Regulations  (Read 1283 times)

Offline MJ619

Cod Regulations
« on: February 01, 2012, 02:30:52 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted yet.

Grim cod report accepted, regulators weigh action
By Associated Press
Wednesday, February 1, 2012 - Added 22 minutes ago

PORTSMOUTH, N.H. — Regional regulators are meeting to try to minimize damage to New England’s fishing industry after an assessment of Gulf of Maine cod indicates the valuable stock is severely overfished.

The new report could lead to a 90 percent cut in the allowed catch to protect the fish. That would wipe out major segments of the industry. But regional regulators at the New England Fishery Management Council are expected to buy time Wednesday by asking federal regulators for an emergency rule that would be in effect for a year, starting in May.

They’re also expected to recommend a catch limit for that year. The recommended cuts are expected to be significant but not as drastic.

The new cod assessment has led to deep skepticism from fishermen. An earlier report indicated the cod population was healthy.

© Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Cod Regulations
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 03:02:36 PM »
The biggest problem with fish management is the lack of doing it properly. One study shows the fish are plentiful and another shows there are no fish. Who do you believe?

From the reports that are posted from up north it 'seems' that the cod are plentiful. Are these reports erroneous? 5hrug

If the fishery is truly overfished then by all means set proper limits. But set limits by using facts and not a wild azz guess.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 07:49:34 PM »
I've been following this very closely and there is already a 6 month closure up there. If you listen to the fishermen they'll tell you the truth. Over fishing on the herring with pair trawlers is at the root of the problem. It's very similar to our bunker problem here. No food for the cod so they wander looking for something to eat. All the way to NJ. ;D Draggers are also responsible for destroying habitat . Yes there are problems but hook and line fishermen are NOT resoponsible and by shutting down the fishery will NOT fix it. NOAA just goes after the weakest link rather than address the real issue.

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 09:52:42 PM »
Oh come on now, don't mess with the Codfish. Everyone loves Codfish.  chrz <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-