Author Topic: Gags & Mister Nick Wiley, head of FWC  (Read 1062 times)

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
Gags & Mister Nick Wiley, head of FWC
« on: February 19, 2012, 12:23:52 AM »
Directly from the desk of Mister Nick Wiley, head of FWC:
Hello Bob
"The Commission also authorized Chairman Kathy Barco and Executive Director Nick Wiley to issue an executive order opening gag grouper season in the state waters off Taylor, Jefferson, Wakulla and Franklin counties, including Apalachicola Bay and Indian Pass. This gag grouper recreational season, if implemented, will open harvest in state waters during April, May and June, and close harvest in those waters during the July-to-October season. These changes will better align fishing opportunity with fish availability."
It is natural for folks to speculate about why these decisions are made, and I don't blame them for this. . Being at the meeting and hearing all the testimony from the people who took the time to be there can shed a lot of light on this decision. There were a number of people making a strong and sensible case for allowing gag fishing in the shallow state waters of the Big Bend during the spring months when gag are there and keeping this area closed for the July - October season when gag are not there. Also trading 4 months of fishing for 3, and gag harvest in this area is likley to be a small portion of the gulfwide harvest. These folks made the case that they would essentially have no season if they could only fish July - October. There also were a number of charter fishermen asking the Commission to go consistent. The Commissioners listened to these people, and their testimony made a difference. The Commissioners earnestly tried to find a way to address these interests or at least find some room for compromise. I am clearly biased, but I don't see how one can question FWC's integrity for this.

Also it is good to note that the schedule and locations for Commission meetings are set over a year in advance. When the schedule is set, we don't know how the issues will match up with the meeting schedule or location. Finally, I have participated in many Commission meetings over the years, and I know for certain the people who take the time to come to these meetings and participate in the process have a much better chance of influencing the process than those who watch from the sidelines and make comments after the fact. I offer these points with much respect for all the people who enjoy and/or make a living fishing in Florida. Take care. Nick

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-