Author Topic: Hello all  (Read 6308 times)

Offline Fresh2Salt

• Full Member of the Den
Hello all
« on: February 06, 2008, 02:42:18 PM »
     First I would like to introduce myself; I'm a new member from PA and glad to be here. I am an avid freshwater fisherman with some pretty impressive catches for my area. Previously, because I don't know where to go fishing in NJ I choose to play it safe and stick to what I know but the fishing has been horrible and that's no longer an option.

On average I go out about 10times a year mostly during Striper season or whenever I have time. I the past I haven't had much luck at all, I went out on a drum fishing trip and got skunked, a tuna trip striper fishing and got skunked as well. I haven't had much luck meeting anyone who would be kind enough to recommend any fishing spots on shore, or even any boats that I could take out just so I can catch some fish. It gets really frustrating to spend money traveling to Jersey and leaving with no fish.

This brings me to the reason I joined this forum. I seek to learn more about salt water fishing and where some of the best places to go fishing in Jersey are. I would also like to know what Captains or charters anyone could recommend taking out that will give me a good chance at catching any fish. With that being said, I would like to go fishing this weekend, so if anyone could give me any feedback on that I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance to anyone who responds, I just want to catch some fish and please help.

Fresh2Salt

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Hello all
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 02:47:02 PM »
very nice to have you, I am sure you will enjoy it here and also learn whatever you would like to know..
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 04:12:36 PM »
WElcome!

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 04:21:26 PM »
Hey Fresh.  Thanks For the post.  you will be bombarded with info / open boat trips and all the fishing you can handle once the season kicks off.

I know Capt Anthony is putting together a winter flounder trip for March.

www.straycatsportfishing.com  Is running 60 mile wreck trips for large sea bass.

And I know some head boats out of Belamr are still running ( I think. But I'm sure others will be along that can help you out more.

YOU CAME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!!

Again chrz

Welcome aboard t^

Offline Fresh2Salt

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 04:50:57 PM »
Wow, I didn't expect to get any responses that quick. Thanks guys!

Could anyone recommend a boat for this weekend?...I know the weather won't be the greatest but I’m just inching to get out.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 05:22:21 PM »
HAng tight.  They be all over this soon ;D

fly2fly

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 05:24:52 PM »
word to bigbird!!

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 05:39:52 PM »
HAng tight.  They be all over this soon ;D
;Dthis is the rugman , glad you made it here slt sltyou just met the nice guy here TT^
Arty's Carpet Service.

For all your carpet needs RUGMAN7092@OPTONLINE.NET

Offline fishinfool

• Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 07:45:18 PM »
Welcome  grtn

Offline Bob

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 07:48:19 PM »
Actually, there are a lot of real nice people here! Welcome aboard.
Bob

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 10:45:08 PM »
Welcome Aboard Fresh2Salt,

I don't do to much boat fishing so I will leave that to the guys that do to give you suggestions.

I would rather surf fish, so there is where my expertise lies.  This time of year is pretty slow but that is not to say that there are no fish around.  The trick to fishing this time of year is to be able to read the beach and fish SLOW - LOW & SMALL.

There are striper's lingering around looking for anything to eat so if you see a small school of sand eels or whatever In the suds cast to them and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Again Welcome Aboard.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 02:05:44 PM »
Fresh2salt Welcome to the board, You didn't say what part of Pa your from. There are still party boats running out of Belmar, Point Pleasent, and Brielle weather permitting. Here is a list of some party boats and phone numbers ait's alway best to call ahead this time of year t^

New Jersey Party Boats
  Belmar

- Golden Eagle 732-681-6144
- Miss Belmar Princess 732-681-6866

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Point Pleasant, Brielle and Manasquan
- Norma K III 732-889-8868
- The Gambler 732-295-7569
- Voyager 732-295-3019
- Jamaica II 732-458-3188
- Mimi VI 732-370-8019
- Big Jamaica 732-528-5014
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline eagleyankfan

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 02:47:37 PM »
Welcome aboard ...

Offline Art Berkman

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 02:49:06 PM »
Welcome  slt

Offline Fresh2Salt

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 03:55:56 PM »
t^  well I don't have any surf gear Paul but I’m up for anything.. I will have to look into buying a surf rod and a spike now... what type of rigs do you use?

Pops Soul thanks a lot of for the info on the boats! I will give those places a call because I’m looking to go out this weekend.

I'm from King of Prussia about 15mins outside of Philadelphia.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 04:03:46 PM by Fresh2Salt »

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 11:11:03 PM »
I have  Nephew that lives in Conshohocken.  He just bought a great row home there.

As far as equipment goes if you want to something descent go to one of the local B&T's there are a few here in the Toms River area that are running sales now.  Check out Betty & Nicks Tackle Shop their sale runs till March.
They have prices on line so you can compare.

http://bettyandnicks.com/fish.shtml

Grumpy's is also running a sale but not as extensive as B&N's

http://www.grumpystackle.com/

The reason I mention this is because some of the equipment is very reasonable and you will build up a good rapor with that shop.  You will also come very close to the price of the big box stores to boot.  You can probably pick up a  Shakespeare rod with a Okuma reel with line for just under $100 bucks. this will be a great starting outfit.

I have three Shakespeare rods of different lengths from 7' 6" to 10' all with Okuma reels and all with braid line. I also have 2 Tica rods with Penn reels one spinning (560 Slammer) and one conventional (525Mag).  The rods range from 10' to 11'.

If you need some help I could meet up with you down here and show you what I have and you can go from there.  Sunday's weather looks iffy it might be a good day to just go shopping.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Fresh2Salt

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 09:21:33 AM »
Ok, I know where Conshohocken is that’s right around the corner from me.

Wow, those prices on the site are really reasonable, I've never priced surf gear but I have always assumed that the rod alone would cost well over $100 because they are so big.

Question: How much does the length of the rod matter? I see some are 10-11-12ft are you able to cast a lot further with longer rods?

I will definitely look into buying some decent gear, because I would love to be able to fish from the beach and  I know a buddy of mine who is just getting into fishing wants to go surf fishing too.

I just went to the B&T shop yesterday in my area and picked up an Okuma reel with braided line to go with my 7'0 Jarvis walker. I am hoping to get a chance to use it this weekend weather permitting. I'm going to go out on the Jamaica 2 . I called yesterday they said if the weather is good they will be going out, its one of those 12 hour trips.
So I’m hoping the weather stays on the up and up.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 09:45:42 AM »
Hi Fresh,

Some of the gear can be quite expensive depending on the manufacturer and the makeup of the rod.  By this I mean is it fiberglass graphite or a como of both.  Plus the type of reel seat and guides that are used all bring up or down the cost of the rod.

As far as the length goes, it depends what type of technique you like to use.  I have a 7' 6" fiberglass rod I use for the surf when I am in the mood to just throw artificial lures and walk the beach.  You have to remember that 90% of all fish caught are right in the suds.  So casting 100 yards for the most part is not needed.  But there are times that the bait is just beyond your reach with the short rod so that is where the longer sticks come in.

I do not know which model Jarvis walker rod you have or the line weight you have on the reel but another thing to take into consideration is that a lot of the shorter rods will only allow you to throw a certain weight lures so be careful in choosing the right rod here.

If the 7' rod is ranged for lets say a line weight of 10 - 20 lb test and lure weight from 1/2 oz to 2 oz as in the Jarvis walker RGSS-701M that is what the rod was designed to handle.  By going over in the lure weight you could damage the rod even snapping it in two.

So make sure your line and lure weight match the rod and you should be all right, so let the fun begin.

I hope this helps.

As far as using braid on a party boat goes you might have a slight problem.  A lot of mates will not handle it because it has a tendency to cut very easly.  So you might want to check or use a long mono leader this way the mate can grab onto the mono leader instead of the braid.

The reason I use braid for the surf is it is very slick going through the guides and gives you an extra 10 - 20% further cast.  Plus you can feel everything the sinker or lure is doing.  There is no line stretch as you have with mono so be careful not to grip the braid to tighten up on a fish when landing.  A lot of us carry a dowel along and wrap the line around a couple of times to pull or tighten whatever.

Happy Carching

Paul
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 09:57:50 AM by ped579 »
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Fresh2Salt

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 11:09:40 AM »
Hey Paul,

I believe my rod is the royal gold custom rgbs rod.. if that helps clarify things and yesterday the reel that I bought the Okuma Avenger AV65A holds 25lb test at like 260yds.. I have it spooled with 25lb test mono and 50lb test braided line.
   Mono-leader? I have never heard of a long mono leader.. What size should I buy? The combo that I have is meant for general deep sea fishing. At least that was my intention on when I purchased it. However I will look into buying a decent surf set possibly this weekend while I'm in NJ if I get a chance.
      So the fish are really that close, I always thought you had to cast way out to catch anything. You say u only use about a 7'6 rod, how far can you cast with that? Do you mainly use lures or live bait? What kinds of fish do you catch that close?
     Well Paul the weather is looking ok so I’m hoping it stays that way! Happy catching to you too!

Fresh

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 01:01:17 PM »
Hi Fresh,

The leader you can make up yourself with a little practice. If I can find my diagram I will insert it in this post.

The rods I use are 7' 6", 8', 10', 10' 6', and 11' conventional, plus a 9' fly rod that handles a #9wt line.

Again you have to get past the idea that the longer the rod the further the cast.  While this might be true just by casting out 100 yards does not equate to catching more fish.  Surf fishing is like hunting you have to know your fish and the habitat it likes to graze. There are many aspects to stalking striper's and blues.  All BTW can be caught within 20' of the shore line when the conditions are right.

If you read my article "Reading the Sand", in this forum you will see that the surf is a very interesting place, full of currents troughs, sloughs, cuts and rocks.  All are areas that hold bait which attract larger fish.

http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=3964.0

Read this section and try to apply some of the tactics and hopefully this summer will be a productive one for you and your friend.

Click on the picture to enlarge.  The lengths can be changed as you like.  I use fluorocarbon leader material as this will also act as a shock cord when casting.

Happy Catching

Paul

« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 01:06:17 PM by ped579 »
IN GOD WE TRUST

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-