Author Topic: anchoring  (Read 3185 times)

Offline double3fd

anchoring
« on: April 14, 2010, 07:12:47 PM »
hey guys, i have a 19 foot fish an ski.  im not sure what i am doing wrong, but i always have problem anchoring.  i use plenty of roap (at least i think i do) and i have an anchor which at the store said was good for my size boat.  i can never seem to get anchored to the point where i dont move.  ill drop the anchor, hit reverse and drag a little bit, then drift to the point where the anchor will still drag and not hold.  any advise on how to properly anchor or what type of anchor to use, etc
-Angry Snapper- "A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work"

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: anchoring
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 07:36:18 PM »
Minimum is 3 times the depth..  Is there a length of chain on it..

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 09:05:52 PM »
You might consider a length of chain between anchor and line.
Watch your depth and lay out 5 to 1 depending on wind, current and set.
Take a fix and make sure your not dragging.If you are, adjust your scope.
Should be fine.Good Luck, AJ.

Offline Stray Cat

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 09:40:19 PM »
Add 12-15 ft of chain if you don't have any. If you are using a danforth style anchor make sure the flukes are not bent, once the flukes are  bent the anchor never works the same.
Mark

Offline double3fd

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 10:27:14 PM »
i have about a foot of chain, then all rope.  what is the importance of having more chaing, as in 15 feet of it?

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 10:51:54 PM »
On rough bottoms that one foot of chain will not hold  the anchor properly. The anchor line will rub along the broken bottom causing the line to fray and let go.Good Buy anchor !!
Use a length of chain which will help the anchor dig deeper and protect your line.
Consider "Chapmans Boating Book" as a nice gift to yourself. Pour a glass of wine and enjoy. t^

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 05:45:46 AM »
i have about a foot of chain, then all rope.  what is the importance of having more chaing, as in 15 feet of it?
this is the problem.. multiply the chain by 15..
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline double3fd

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 12:20:23 PM »
greeat thanks everyone!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 04:14:34 PM »
The chain will help put your anchor at the proper angle so you can get a good hook set. If you do not have enough chain (which will give your anchor system enough weight to point the flukes of the anchor more perpendicular to the bottom) your anchor will just slide across the bottom. The weigh of the chain puts the flukes in a position to take a bite into the bottom. The chain will also give some chafe resistance to the line as the chain will be dragging bottom and not your anchor line.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 10:27:37 AM »
The chain will help put your anchor at the proper angle so you can get a good hook set. If you do not have enough chain (which will give your anchor system enough weight to point the flukes of the anchor more perpendicular to the bottom) your anchor will just slide across the bottom. The weigh of the chain puts the flukes in a position to take a bite into the bottom. The chain will also give some chafe resistance to the line as the chain will be dragging bottom and not your anchor line.

Yep Irishayes nailed it. For many anchoring situation  the length  of chain is really not important(excluding chafing situations)its the  total weight of chain thats important. Like Joe pointed out the whole reason for the chain and amount of scope is to keep the angle of the anchor as close to 0 degrees with the bottom. The anchor digs instead of rising as is the case with danforth and plow anchors. I have tried a few other "new types" that claimed they had more holding power and could use half the scope and they all sucked. Also some perfectly good looking danforths do not seem to hold as well as other ones. Your chain will really depend on where you want to anchor. You posted your boat is a 19 footer so I think its say to assume your not planning on setting up for a night chunk on the edge(if you are Rod many be interested in tagging along to help cut bait). For most conditions in most of the back bays 3 to4 feet of 5/8 chain should suite your needs. Also you may find it helpful to get an anchor rated for a larger boat. It will only add few pounds of anchor weight but will help you knock off a few feet of chain. Good luck and happy anchoring.    
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 10:28:20 AM by Capt. Birch »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-