Author Topic: Did I buy the right rods  (Read 3531 times)

Offline deathray

• Be Happy Gone Fishing
Did I buy the right rods
« on: January 19, 2009, 08:43:25 PM »
After being out of the saltwater scene for a couple of years and now back.I found my rods and reels out of date.I have now bought a new Penn slammer rod 7ft and 750 slammer reel as and all around spinning setup. For porgies seabass, striper's ling and flounder and some fluke fishing. I bought MH KStriker casting rod 7ft and winchester winmag reel. I also bought 4 trl rods 2 in 25 to 40 pound. and 2 in 30 to 60 pound.
one of the 30 to 60 in have setup with Rino RBC XL reel with 40 pnd test for blackfish only. The other 30 to 60 with a okuma 300cl I setup for fluke fishing.The two 25 to 40 I bought to use as allaround rod for porgies to bluefish.I also bought a Penn mariner 15to 30 with a Penn 10 for flounder and some porgie and seabass fishing.I would like to know what everyone thinks and what doe everone know about K Striker rods and the TRL rods.I mostly fish from party boats.TRL stands for trophy rod and lures
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 07:42:56 PM by deathray »
Deathray

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Did I buy the right rods
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 09:20:28 PM »
I can't answer that Question..  I'm sure the boys will be all over this one..

I'd just like to state after reading your post..

You are going to fit in well here t^  not that it's that hard to..  but...  Ah..  I think I'm feeling a little nts tonight.  Don't mind me t^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 09:47:45 PM »
Welcome back to saltwater fishing and NJSWF grtn!  Rods sound ok, but I am not much of a boat fisherman and am not 100% up on the setups used.

TT^

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 12:18:23 PM »
"trl" means trolling? 5hrug

Overall not familiar with those rods, but seems a bit "heavy" for inshore fishing.

I had some of the first, cheap Mariner rods from Penn years ago.  Snapped like 4 in a row.  Worse POS rods I ever used. 

XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline Great American Fisherman

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 08:29:19 PM »
First, I hope you bought all that Penn stuff from Fisherman's Headquarters......  15% off Penn rod and reel set ups.  You match a  Penn rod with a Penn reel and get 15% off.

I'm a Penn guy.  For fluke, inshore sea bass, porgy and ling I use a Penn Long Beach 6ft 15 - 30 pound rod and Penn Squidder 140L reel, both are no long made by Penn.  Blackfish i use Penn 321 GTI super level wind reels and the same for offshore sea bass trips.  For blackfish and offshore sea bass trips I used touse Penn Power stick and Penn Slammer rods.  On my last offshore trip about two weeks ago, my slammer reel seat broke and it seems if the trip was longer than 18 hours, the power stick would have broke as well.  So, I went into action when I got home and found my way to the outdoor show and bought a 6.6 long and 20 - 50 pound line medium heavy Ugly Stik.  Going to use it Friday for blackfish.

I love Penn rods, but one of the mates told me that Penn rods do not hold up the best in cold weather,  whether that is true or not, I figured I would take advantage of the sale at the show and get an Ugly Stik. 

Everything I own is Penn except for the new Ugly Stik and the Ugly Stik I have for trout fishing.  Its like a 5 foot rod and light for trout fishing in the streams around here.  Oh, and I had my very first custom rod made and its a replica of a Penn Long Beach rods I have.

I hope this helps, if you need any more help, just ask on here or PM me.  Glad to help.

Be good!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-