Author Topic: Trailer Safety  (Read 3523 times)

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Trailer Safety
« on: January 31, 2009, 10:48:48 AM »
this is very important when you trailer a boat.  Please add some tips, tricks, advice, and the reason for each.  Let this tread build to establish a great list of safety things.  Everyone add there own.

For starters..

1.  Why do you cross your chains between the trailer and the truck.

The crossing action of the chains prevents the tongue of the trailer from hitting the group if it was to come loose.  The crossing action of the chains will catch the tongue of the trailer before it hits the ground.  If the chains are not crossed and the tongue of the trailer pops off, the toungue will hit the ground and can cause damage to the trailer, your vehicle, and whats on the trailer.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
Re: Trailer Safety
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 11:27:36 AM »
Good one Nick!

The best way to lube your bearings is just before you put the boat in the water and after its back on the trailer.
By lubing them just before you put the boat in the water it cools your bearings down from the ride to the ramp. (I would not do this if I had a short ride to the ramp from home).

After you take the boat out the grease pushes out the water out of the bearings.

If you switch your lights over to LED lights, you don’t have to worry about unplugging them before you put the trailer in the water.  LED lights are more expensive, but last a long time and if you launch or put the boat back on the trailer in the dark, you can leave the light on to see the trailer while backing down the ramp or when you drive the boat up to the trailer.

One thing you see a lot of at the AH ramp is the truck going into the water while someone is putting the boat back on the trailer. One reason this happens is because the ramp is wet, the truck has a rear wheel parking brake. When the boat bumps the trailer the truck rear tires loose the bite it had on the wet ground. This would not happen if the front wheels had a parking brake and was on dry ground. It take 10 seconds to chock your wheel and it cost a lot lees then have your truck ruined and the towing bill.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »
Good thread!!

Don't over-lube the bearings. You don't want the grease to push past the seals. If you only trailer a few times a year and/or short distances, a few pumps of the grease gun each side once-a year is probably enough.
When checking trailer tires, don't forget to check the pressure and condition of the spare too. What, no spare? Get one, maybe even 2, if you have a double or triple axle trailer. If you run over something sharp, it may take out more than one tire.
Run the lug nuts off and back on, one at a time, once a year, to ensure they are not frozen. Again don't forget the spare tire mount, that can seize too. Some WD40 on the studs helps to prevent seizing. Don't forget to retorque lugnuts to spec.
Check your trailer jack too. Many times the truck's jack won't cut it. Practice changing the trailer tire to ensure you know the drill. The side of the highway is no time to learn.
Ensure you carry the necessary equipment: lug wrench, base for the jack for soft shoulders, extra strap(s). I even carry a spare bearing kit and the tools to change that also. Saved my a$$ back in my Jetski days on a haul back from Lake Wallenpaupack one night.
Slow down when towing! No need to do 85. 55-65 will get you there and back in just about the same time. Especially if you have one of those trailers with the 8" dia wheels, they are turning a LOT faster than the truck's wheels.
Stop and check straps often when towing. Vibration and bumps can cause shifting and loosening. Put a hand on the bearings and tire treads at the same time to check for overheating. Warm is normal, hot notsomuch.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 04:00:44 PM »
Great advice, maybe one thing that should be done is to make a personal check list so this way in your down time when you have time to think and just list the things that have to be done before the season starts and a good place is with this thread.

Use your computer to compile your list and save it so next year all you have to do is print out a new one.

IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Duffman

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 04:58:11 PM »
#1 - CHECK THOSE BEARINGS!!!!!!
     Cant stress it enough. I was a "victim" of failure once, and have worked on another buddy of mines trailer who also was burnt.
  Water gets past the seal everytime you launch. I dont care how much you pump it with grease, have bearing buddies, etc.  A small amount creeps in, its inevitable.  That tiny amount of water will settle to the bottom of the bearing and corrode the race. Once ANY pitting starts on the race, the bearing is toast.
  In the spring, pull the hubs off and inpect the bearings.  If you have a dual axle trailer, 4 seals and grease will run you 50 - 60 bucks. Cheap insurance against a wheel flying off at 60 MPH.
#2 - Cover your trailer tires when parked.
     My trailer sits on the east side of my house. The 2 tires on the port side see the sun almost all day.  Sun + tires = dryrot.  Grab a pair of tire covers at an auto part store. Let them take the UV abuse instead of your expensive tires. I have had tires crack from the sun in 1 summer.  I bought covers and have no dry rot cracks in the last 5 seasons.  There cheap insurance.

pic #1 - my bearing race showing pitting, tire and hub almost came off the trailer when the bearing let loose.
pic #2 - race from my buddies trailer. Barely enough corrosion to catch your fingernail, yet the bearing was wiped out, and nearly failed on the road.
pic #3 - tire covers. Cheap. Get em at any parts store.  Notice the cracking on the vinyl cover, better the cover than your tire.

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 09:10:01 PM »
When the boat is off the trailer:
  Check all rollers !! Replace those that are defective, greese those that need greese with Marine Grade Greese.Check the bushings under the rollers and all bolts and nuts. Hit them witha "shot of oil" as Pop told me.Make sure all bolts are tight and cleaned of rust,replace the really bad ones. Good Luck, AJ 

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 12:29:51 PM »
Driving over 65 mph creates high heat in the bearings too. Many boaters are switching over to oil bath bearings. You can see any water pooling on the bottom of the transparent cup and drain any water from the bottom drain.
  does anyone use these type of bearings? I am thinking of switching over?? ???

Does anyone know of a websight with instructions on how to inspect and change bearings? I have never changed mine and am not sure what to do. I am very handy but need alittle lesson on what to do.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 12:33:23 PM by Hunter 2 »
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 12:55:48 PM »
You can try this site. Seems to explain the process pretty good. You may or may not have brakes on your trailer, if you do not have brakes, the process is the same except you do not have a drum/rotor to remove, just the hub.

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/doityourself/a/bl_wh_bearing1.htm
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 01:47:24 PM »
You can try this site. Seems to explain the process pretty good. You may or may not have brakes on your trailer, if you do not have brakes, the process is the same except you do not have a drum/rotor to remove, just the hub.

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/doityourself/a/bl_wh_bearing1.htm

Thanks Joe. chrz
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 04:44:29 PM »
 TT^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-