Author Topic: fluke  (Read 2964 times)

Offline Quadruplecccc

fluke
« on: January 28, 2009, 08:50:02 PM »
I normally spook around the raritan bay and down the beach for fluke. Also venture out between the channels , 3mi. or so. How far out do most of you go and still find good numbers of fluke. Was just looking at my charts and was wondering about some spots farther ofshore than I normally go. It's fun to explore new spots but with limited time to get out there, I'm like most others and don't like a lengthy boat ride for nothing.  Any input ??

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: fluke
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 09:00:52 PM »
I have been fishing 6+ miles for fluke for many years. You will typically find that there are not as many fluke as close to the beach but the fluke you catch will mostly be keepers.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Quadruplecccc

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 09:16:34 PM »
Does time of year matter?  Water is a little chilly yet early season, or am I thinking wrong?Did you ever find them even futher out or did you find what you were looking for there?

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 09:23:45 PM »
I have tried some deeper spots, 10+ miles out, but can not say that I have had a lot of luck on the further out spots. But that could be because I just did not give it enought time to produce. I would fish the 10+ mile spots for a tournament trying to find that one huge fish, haven't done it yet though, find the huge fish, that is.  ;D

I will say, the past two/three years, the 6+ mile spots have been loaded with dog fish.  :'(
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Quadruplecccc

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 09:41:19 PM »
There is the spiny back and the smooth skin, right? Are they both on the endangered list? Which is the most prevelant out there?

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 10:12:19 PM »
Deeper water later in the season when the water temp is warmer.  I go out up to 6 miles or so, but still fish the channels.  If you take the channels off the hook all the way out, I will fish those edges.  Just have to search and find where they are biting.  I don't even go in the ocean when the season opens.  I will fish the Reach channels till the water warms
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 06:54:03 AM »
the nursery inside the hook is a decent early fluke spot along with the shrewsbury river channels....mid summer warmer waters the scotland is a nice rocky spot that holds some nice size fish
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 08:18:22 AM »
we have caught lots of sizeable fluke on STRUCTURE from 5-8 miles.

S.g reef, klondike, da rocks, mud bouy etc.

You will never catch as many as the beach but the size will always be a lot better.

Experiment, hard to put a good catch of keepers on the beach any more

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-