Author Topic: When is the best time to catch a Mako in NJ  (Read 13727 times)

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
Re: When is the best time to catch a Mako in NJ
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 07:47:37 PM »
I hooked into and lost a 5' to 7' shark in 12' of water on the Keyport flats last August. I was using a small fluke pole and a Spro bucktail. :-\
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline BeN F

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 12:33:28 PM »
When going  for mako do you troll. Or drift and what is the ballon for does that go on your line or do you put it to ur chum sorry if I sound stupid LOL I realy wanna try an catch one this year  I have never been sharking

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 12:47:58 PM »
Most guys drift while shark fishing.

The balloon/float is used to keep your baits at a predetermined depth. If need be, add a little weight to your baited line and send it down to where you want it in the water column, then attach a balloon/float. Let line out to get the bait away from the boat. The balloon will keep your bait at the proper depth in the water column. You will stagger the depths of your baits with the deeper bait being furthest from the boat. The object is to have your bait in the chum trail.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 12:54:35 PM »
We were striper fishing at the  s- rocks and got cut off by a nice big one . I got a few big sharks around the hook  t^
Arty's Carpet Service.

For all your carpet needs RUGMAN7092@OPTONLINE.NET

Offline BeN F

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2009, 01:22:46 PM »
Most guys drift while shark fishing.

The balloon/float is used to keep your baits at a predetermined depth. If need be, add a little weight to your baited line and send it down to where you want it in the water column, then attach a balloon/float. Let line out to get the bait away from the boat. The balloon will keep your bait at the proper depth in the water column. You will stagger the depths of your baits with the deeper bait being furthest from the boat. The object is to have your bait in the chum trail.

That explains alot thank you and how bout the chum to make the slick is it just cut up blue fish or do you add sumtthing else too

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2009, 01:46:41 PM »
I usually buy a couple of pails from the bait shop for a trip. For me, it is too time consuming to make but even more than that, it is too cumbersome to store unless you have a LARGE freezer.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2009, 04:53:05 PM »
I have a chum grinder that I use to grind up fresh bunker or bluefish scraps as I need it.  I dispence it overboard as I grind it.  Also, cut 1 or 2 bluefish at the gills and in the stomach, rope tie the tail and let it hang off your boat as well.  This will all draw fish to the boat. The best part of the grinder is that you can use any fish pieces you have.  Fillet the bluefish to put on the hook and put the remains in the grinder.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Capt. Mike

• Super Hero Member
    • Reel Time Sport Fishing
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2009, 06:40:58 PM »
Hey Nick are you able to grind up a bluefish with your hand grinder? Which one do you have?

Ben, bring bunker oil with you at least 1 gal. 3 pails of 4-5 gal chum: 1 bunker 1 mackerel 1 shark treats. Nice combination. All in all the bunker chum at the least. Make bait boat side as Capt. Joe said. If you are catching bluefish back in your slick you have a good slick. Use the fresh fillets as you get them. Chunk up a fresh bluefish let blood go over and flick small chunks every so often. You should have a continuous drip of bunker oil added to your slick. You can also use the bunker oil for your frozen bait or as you bait washes out, chunk it up put in 5 gal pail add a little oil mix and toss over as needed. Good luck.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 05:36:44 PM by Capt. Mike »

Offline BeN F

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2009, 07:47:22 PM »
Thank you for all the input now I'm really getting cabin fever haha

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2009, 08:15:26 PM »
Hey Nick are you able to grind up a bluefish with your hand grinder? Which one do you have?

Ben, bring bunker oil with you at least 1 gal. 3 pails of 4-5 gal chum: 1 bunker 1 mackerel 1 shark treats. Nice combination. All in all the bunker chum at the least. Make bait boat side as Capt. Joe said. If you are catching bluefish back in your slick you have a good slick. Use the fresh fillets as you get them. Chunk up a fresh bluefish let blood go over and flick small chunks every so often. You should have a continuous drip of bunker oil added to your slick. You can also use the bunker oil for your frozen bait or as you bait washes out, chunk it up put in 5 gal pail add a little oil mix and toss over as needed. Good luck.

Hey Capt,Mike
Can a small siphon tube be used for a continous oil drip?  Something like a fishtank air tubing or smaller?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 05:36:32 PM by Capt. Mike »
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Capt. Mike

• Super Hero Member
    • Reel Time Sport Fishing
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2009, 09:00:19 PM »
Yes as long as you can make it a drip not a stream. A drip is more then enough. Look to an I.V. type of setup.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-