Author Topic: Al Ristori's latest: Fluke, Porgy and Sea Bass to be voted on March 5 @ 4pm  (Read 5790 times)

Offline Great American Fisherman

New fluke regulations will be proposed next week
by Al Ristori/For the Star-Ledger Thursday February 26, 2009, 8:22 PM
Fluke advisors to the Marine Fisheries Council met Tuesday to make recommendations that the Council will vote on during their monthly meeting Thursday, March 5 at 4 p.m. in Galloway Township Library, Jimmie Leeds Road, Absecon.

Council member Pat Donnelly said there was agreement among the advisors on staying with the 18-inch minimum length, while reducing the bag limit from eight to six in order to pick up a few critical days of season. Though the state only has to take a 4.1 percent reduction, the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) requires that most of it must come from the season. As a result, it will be necessary to give up either Memorial Day or Labor Day.

The two alternatives approved are from June 1 to Sept. 7, or May 23 to Sept. 4. Donnelly was surprised that northern and southern advisors with financial interests in the fishery were split as to which season would be least disruptive.

Donnelly may be one of the few anglers in the state who will miss the eight-fish limit as he's a real fluke pro who frequently limits aboard his Shanakee from Point Pleasant.

Though Thursday's meeting isn't a public hearing, the public is invited and there will be time for comments on the alternatives. Remember, however, the Council has no control over the regulation. They must use tables, based on the previous year's catches and how much of a cut is required, from the technical committee. The options are calculated to hold our catch to the quota, and all the Council can do is select from those alternatives.

Donnelly suggests it's particularly important for those with a financial stake in the fluke fishery to indicate which alternative will have the least negative effect on business.

Regulations will also be set at the same time for scup and sea bass. Donnelly expects there will be status quo for porgies, but that it will probably be necessary to increase the sea bass minimum to 12½ inches unless the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) decides there isn't overfishing and will allow a continuation of the 12-inch minimum.

TOP CATCHES

Tom Paglioroli will host Jim Hutchinson Jr., new managing director of the Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA), on tomorrow morning's Rack & Fin Radio, ESPN 1450 AM, between 9 and 10. Hutchinson will discuss the upcoming federal registry and how the RFA is trying to get a free registration procedure through the state legislature in order to avoid a saltwater license. The show can also be accessed through its podcast address -- espn1450.com.

The saltwater license issue is heating up with the national registry and a likely New York saltwater license bearing down on us. The Saltwater Committee of the State Federation of Sportsman's Clubs and the N.J. Outdoor Alliance held meetings lately to discuss the registry plus a possible license or alternative. Both heard a presentation by Dave Chanda, director of the Division of Fish and Wildlife, on the federal registration plus the status of funding in the Division -- which takes no position on licensing. Chanda will be happy to provide that presentation for any interested clubs.

Berkeley Striper Club holds their 14th annual Fisherman's Flea Market from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday at Hugh J. Boyd Elementary School, 1200 Bay Blvd., Seaside Heights. Admission is $3, but free for kids under 10. Many custom wood plug makers will be on hand. For additional information, call (732) 280-3281, or visit www.berkeleystriperclub.org

Hi-Mar Striper Club holds its annual Awards Dinner on Sunday at the Channel Club in Highlands.

The Toyota World Fishing & Outdoor Exposition runs from March 5 to 8 at Rockland Community College Field House in Suffern, New York.

At Brielle, Capt. Howard Bogan Jr. of the Jamaica reports he's still doing very well with sea bass and porgies on far offshore wrecks. Last Friday was good, as was Sunday despite choppy seas. Ray Roscoe of Newark caught a total of 47 bass and scup, but his 6-pound bass was edged for the pool by a 6½-pounder.

Wednesday's weather was much better, and catches ranged from 30 to 46 fish. There were some sea bass limits plus jumbo porgies, some ling, and even a few whiting -- a rarity among bottom fish these days. Though Cecil Walker from Queens took the pool with a 6-pound sea bass, Dennis Spanos of Elizabeth had a 5½-pounder in his limit plus 30 porgies and 11 ling. Kerwin Singletary from Burlington had a limit of bass, 32 porgies and 14 ling. Homer Tye of Trenton totaled a bass limit along with 25 scup and seven ling. Bogan said water temperatures over the wrecks are holding at 46 to 47.5 degrees. He sails a limited trip for $170 tonight at 11. The $155 fare applies to the Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday sailings. Call (732) 528-5014 for reservations.

Capt. Joe Bogan reported good wreck fishing for ling last week on his Jamaica II, along with some cod and pollock. Dennis Stock of Fairfield boated an 18-pound cod, and Greg Sergi from Belmar bagged 25 ling. Tye added two cod to his 36 ling, and George Elishans from Reading, Pa. had a pollock plus two cod in addition to 34 ling. Those 12-hour wreck trips are run at 5 a.m. every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday.

Anglers looking into buying a used boat can now check its background, just as can be done with cars. Visit www.BoatHistoryReport.com. All you need is the hull number (HIN) to get the information needed to determine if it has ever been in an accident.

See more in Al's print column  Send To A Friend |  Print this | Permalink
 Reddit    Digg    del.icio.us    Google    Facebook   Buzz up!COMMENTS (0)Post a commentUsername (Don't Have a Username? Sign up here):
Password:

Remember Me      Welcome back, ! Comments: (you may use HTML tags for style)   

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
 t^ Thanks for the update report.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Nice post Jim.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Thank you.  I wish someone from SSFFF could give us an update here. 

For the guests and newer folks.  The other site does not have this or the last posted information.  Here, we try to keep folks informed.  Hopefully we can get some information next Thursday which is March 5 after the 4pm meeting.

Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 07:18:52 PM by Great American Fisherman »

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
Yeah me to.  I went over there and dropped them an e-mail and gave them a link as well hoping they would respond but nothing yet. 
IN GOD WE TRUST

I know.  I could write to one captain, but he does not check his email on a regular basis.  Another won't reply to me anymore for whatever reason. 

I just wrote to the Captain of the Big Mohawk in Belmar, NJ.  He is in SSFFF leadership.

We shall see if someone writes to us.

Be good!

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
Thanks for the great info Jim...

Let us know if you hear from the Capt of the Mohawk...Chris is a good guy, I fish on his boat often during the summer...

Kenny.....

Thanks Kenny.  Yea, I am looking forward to fishing the Mohawk at some point during the Fluke season.  Never fished with them as of yet.

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
We gota get together for a trip on the Mohawk...
Great boat IMHO..

They fish on the rocks alot...Just gota bring some extra bucktails...I always catch quality fish with them ....worth the extra $$ for the lost tackle.

Sounds good.  Yea, in the begining I fish Raritan Bay.  This year I will go on the www.njsaltwaterfisherman.com supporter Sea Hawk.  Then once we get to July, I would like to fish the Mohwak.  Heard a lot about them and looking forward to it.

I am not a bucktail guy.  I have a couple of Spro's and never used them.  Don't even know how to.  I use squid or belly and sand eels and smelts.

Be good!

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Al Ristori's latest: Fluke, Porgy and Sea Bass to be voted on March 5 @ 4pm
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 07:34:41 PM »
Okay guys and gals here is the reply I received from the SSFFF.  I was given the Okay to post it here as you can read at the end of the reply.  You can reply to:  info@ssfff.net  for any further information on any specifics you have.

"Paul, I see the thread, and I saw someone quote this Capt "g" guy but I do not actually see his post anymore. Did he perhaps delete it?
As to his question of where the SSFFF is on this issue......

Anyone who has actually read anything we've printed or been to any show or meeting we were at knows we have nothing to do with any specific state's regulations. Our whole purpose is to assure that we actually have regulations!! The alternative is nothing at all! We have to be concerned with the overall science and political end of the issue, not the specific set of regulations for each and every state. That argument happens whether the quota goes up or down!!

The reason for the cut in season this coming year is because the federal government (thru NMFS) claims NJ was 4% over it's quota. We have to cut our landings for 2009 by 4%.

The ASMFC has ruled that any states that need a reduction must take at least 50% of that reduction through season.

So, when you go from 8 to 6 fish you get 2%. When you cut the days out of the season you get 2%.

The reason the cut is not larger is because thanks to the work done by Dr. Maunder (hired by SSFFF) with the support of scientists from Rutgers and Cornell we were able to stop the 4 year downward trend of the quota and actually get 3 MILLION POUNDS of quota ADDED to the 2009 TAL. (last year the TAL was 15 million pounds, it was expected to be between 11 and 15 million pounds this year, it will now be 18 million pounds instead!)

Al's article is dead on from the advisers meeting Tuesday night (I was there as I am one of the advisers) except it was not the council that met, but the advisory committee. The council will meet on Thurs. March 5th to decide what the regs for the year will be.

Feel free to post this e-mail on the site, and let me know what other information you'd like and I'll get it to you asap"

I hope this helps...

Happy catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 08:09:54 PM »
Very good.  The two folks I wrote to did not write back.  I tried.  Good job.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 08:44:26 PM »
hahaha, here is the signature for the e-mail I received earlier.

"Paul, forgot to sign the e-mail I just sent!

Later,
Capt. Tony Bogan"
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 09:49:23 PM »
 t^

Offline Sea Weed

• Full Member of the Den
Excellent info GAF...  slt

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-