Author Topic: Yamaha HPDI Engines  (Read 13110 times)

Offline Capt. Ed

Yamaha HPDI Engines
« on: February 03, 2007, 12:26:41 PM »
Hi All,

I bought a new 200 HP Yamaha HPDI engine in September 2005. I have over 250 hrs. on it already. I love the engine.

I have a question regarding ethanol. Despite using Startron and Ring Free and religiously servicing the engine, I have two (2) nagging issues since the introduction of the gas additive ethanol.

1. The filter cases within the engine have swelled and had to be changed. This is a known problem and have been re-engineered by Yamaha. Question - Has anyone else had this problem and did you have to pay for the new parts or did you somehow get Yamaha to replace them for free?

2. Due to a failure with the filters, the oil/air/fuel mixture has caused the O2 sensor to have to be replaced. I knew there was a problem because at 800-1,000 rpms, the engine ran rough. Anyone else experience this problem?

I would be interested in hearing anything else about Yamaha HPDI engines that you have come across.

Have fun,

Capt. Ed

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
Re: Yamaha HPDI Engines
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 05:18:20 PM »
Capt Ed,

In the beginning last year I had quite the problem with ethanol..........gummed up the works......I now regularly put in tank dry (I get it from and Oil Dist Company) it takes all the water out of your tank....I run a 10 micron fuel seporator filter and change it every 45 days.............I have not had a problem scense.....I did not experience any other probelms,

However my boating neightbor did, Yamaha paid to get the engine back on line, same problem with the sensor.

My engine is a 1999 and my buddy's is a 2003.....if this helps at all ;)

Offline captmatt

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 07:22:01 PM »
Capt Ed,

In the beginning last year I had quite the problem with ethanol..........gummed up the works......I now regularly put in tank dry (I get it from and Oil Dist Company) it takes all the water out of your tank....I run a 10 micron fuel seporator filter and change it every 45 days.............I have not had a problem scense.....I did not experience any other probelms,

However my boating neightbor did, Yamaha paid to get the engine back on line, same problem with the sensor.

My engine is a 1999 and my buddy's is a 2003.....if this helps at all ;)

Hey Bob, I swear by the Yahama's Since I used to work for Gateway, delivering boats, how many hours you got on yours ?? I know Capt Rich "Just One More" had 1200 hours on his before he sold the boat and never had any big problems with them   

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 08:26:13 PM »
Matt

I am pushing 800 on mine right know, my last boat had over 1200, and ran ran like a top.......as long as you take care of them they will go on forever ;D ;D

Offline BAHILA / PCramer6

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 11:10:20 AM »
The tank dry stuff you mentioned.  Cant you pick that up at any automotive store?  I put something similar in my car when it gets really cold out.   Beware of ethenol with your fuel tanks also.  Ethenol's chemical properties corrode and eat up all fuel tanks that are not made from aluminum. 
BAHILA  23' CC Wellcraft Fisherman
225 Johnson 4-stroke
Fishing out of Manasquan Inlet

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-