Author Topic: NY Fluke regs set  (Read 7107 times)

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
NY Fluke regs set
« on: March 25, 2009, 03:06:35 PM »
From the DEC website:
Forced to comply with strict federal restrictions, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Pete Grannis today announced new limits for summer flounder (fluke) for the upcoming recreational fishing season.

For 2009, the minimum size limit will be 21 inches, compared to 20.5 last year. The bag limit will be two fish, down from four. Additionally, there will be a split season:
Open May 15 - June 15.
Closed June 16 - July 2.
Open July 3 - August 17.
Closed thereafter.

So there ya go.. hopefully the lawsuit will have some effect, but it sure sucks to be a Fluker in NY these days..   rgmn

Offline CaptTB

• SSFFF
  • Sponsor
Re: NY Fluke regs set
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 03:23:45 PM »
From the DEC website:
Forced to comply with strict federal restrictions, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Pete Grannis today announced new limits for summer flounder (fluke) for the upcoming recreational fishing season.

For 2009, the minimum size limit will be 21 inches, compared to 20.5 last year. The bag limit will be two fish, down from four. Additionally, there will be a split season:
Open May 15 - June 15.
Closed June 16 - July 2.
Open July 3 - August 17.
Closed thereafter.

So there ya go.. hopefully the lawsuit will have some effect,
No offense, but hopefully not. Unfortunately the lawsuit seeks to address the ridiculous problems facing NY by forcing them upon everyone else. Most every other state on the coast would be forced to raise their size limit up by inches, shorten their season(in some cases), and cut their bag limit. It's too bad we could not get the financial support from NY like we did from NJ and elsewhere for things like supporting the legislation and the science (which by the way is why NY's regs aren't even worse, although it's hard to believe they could be any worse!)

Instead of pumping vast quantities of money into a law suit to punish every other state for the problems NY has been facing they could have helped work on the solution to all our problems, NY included. (except FCA, they have stepped up to the plate along with a few individuals and a couple businesses...I do not want to leave those people out)

I spent quite a lot of time trying to help NY with it's problems, and will continue to do so, but not by simply screwing everyone else to help myself. I understand where the desperation comes from, I just do not agree with the methods used in trying to deal with it.

but it sure sucks to be a Fluker in NY these days..   rgmn
Of that there is no doubt. Who would have ever imagined that a Fluke over a foot and a half long would have to be a throw back just to get the crappy season they have. If I could make things happen faster I would, because I am wondering if the guys I became friends with over the years will still be there once we get this stuff straightened out.

I truly hope so and will continue to work towards that goal in whatever way I can.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 03:26:03 PM by CaptTB »

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 03:43:32 PM »
look on the bright side
ok there is no bright side
but consider this

if you can get in and out using only ny waters you can fish for them a week earlier?

then when your pulled over towing the boat home after crossing the outerbridge the SP confiscates your fish for out of season....

your busted anyways

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 03:47:56 PM »
and how much is the outerbridge these days? with ezpass i honestly do not even know
i think i saw a sign the other day on the VZ said passgr cars $10? what's that, like $50 with a trailer? cheaper and easier to just launch from NJ and pay the fine if your caught...

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 03:48:07 PM »
[quote author=CaptTB   "No offense, but hopefully not...."  

None taken  t^ I did not understand the specifics of the suit.. I agree, that will not help anyone

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 03:58:17 PM »
That does suck for NYers. But, at CaptTB said, they are going about it the wrong way with the lawsuit. Instead of sueing the feds for the Pee-poor method of compulation and having that changed, their suit would make a coast wide regulation instead of state to state. I think we (NJ) would be hit the hardest because we would have to give up a lot of our share of the industry so it could be spread out over the entire coast.

It is a shame that NJ is the only state that is interested in getting the way the figures are compiled changed. If we had the support of the other states the 'science' that the Dr who is working for the SSFFF would replace the so called 'best science' we have now.

I believe his study is the reason our total quota went up this year instead of down. If we did not 'catch over our limit' last year (whichy I find very hard to believe) we would have an increase this year instead of having a 4% reduction.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline The Broken One

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 03:58:41 PM »
From the DEC website:

Open May 15 - June 15.
Closed June 16 - July 2.
Open July 3 - August 17.
Closed thereafter.

No offense, but hopefully not. Unfortunately the lawsuit seeks to address the ridiculous problems facing NY by forcing them upon everyone else. Most every other state on the coast would be forced to raise their size limit up by inches, shorten their season(in some cases), and cut their bag limit. It's too bad we could not get the financial support from NY like we did from NJ and elsewhere for things like supporting the legislation and the science (which by the way is why NY's regs aren't even worse, although it's hard to believe they could be any worse!)

Instead of pumping vast quantities of money into a law suit to punish every other state for the problems NY has been facing they could have helped work on the solution to all our problems, NY included. (except FCA, they have stepped up to the plate along with a few individuals and a couple businesses...I do not want to leave those people out)

I spent quite a lot of time trying to help NY with it's problems, and will continue to do so, but not by simply screwing everyone else to help myself. I understand where the desperation comes from, I just do not agree with the methods used in trying to deal with it.

Of that there is no doubt. Who would have ever imagined that a Fluke over a foot and a half long would have to be a throw back just to get the crappy season they have. If I could make things happen faster I would, because I am wondering if the guys I became friends with over the years will still be there once we get this stuff straightened out.

I truly hope so and will continue to work towards that goal in whatever way I can.

yes sir.... whs
"When the game is over, the kings and the pawns go back in the same box"

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 04:50:37 PM »
even with out the NY saltwater license this year you have to comply and stay within regulations if your  an NJ fisherman in there waters,they will be checking more so than ever this year.I primarily fish Raritan Bay and some of the prime fluke fishing is in the Reach channel on the NY side.unreal different regs. for the same body of water. nosmly
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 05:10:32 PM »
It is geting to the point that I will put my boat back in the lake and go after Walleyes . Go all the way down there and come home with two fish or what ever rgmn rgmn
Arty's Carpet Service.

For all your carpet needs RUGMAN7092@OPTONLINE.NET

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 05:43:53 PM »
Not good news for anybody. It remains to be seen how these boats fishing the Reach will be treated.    nosmly    5hrug

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 05:49:26 PM »
You will not be able to have possession of fluke in NY waters when their season is closed.  :P
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Vinnym

• Morning Dew Sportfishing
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 08:23:11 AM »
From the DEC website:

Open May 15 - June 15.
Closed June 16 - July 2.
Open July 3 - August 17.
Closed thereafter.

I agree with CaptTB. NY is going about it in the wrong way. They should be putting their efforts into getting the science changed. The SSFFF is doing a great job and they should be supported to ensure we will have a fishery in the future.  chrz

We will need to be careful when in the Reach. I'm sure NY will be out in force to check the NJ boats.
Morning Dew Sport Fishing
Perth Amboy

Tight Lines & Calm Seas

Offline DarthBaiter

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 05:38:07 PM »
My baot is docked in NJ waters, I fish NY and NJ water equally, but I always have to keep to the smallest of boath states in case I run into a DEC on either side of the water.  Sometimes I'm not even sure which side I'm on to tell the truth.  5hrug  5hrug  My GPS doesn't draw state lines on the water.  nosmly

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 06:41:25 PM »
jeeze
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-