Author Topic: Help with License..  (Read 2262 times)

Ruger314

Help with License..
« on: June 10, 2007, 10:36:44 PM »
Ok, got my classes schedule today and need some help with all the rquirements for the classes.. So I'm looking for help for the easiest way to get all requirements done !

Thanks Joe

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Help with License..
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 10:41:17 PM »
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Ruger314

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 10:44:48 PM »
Nick, Thanks have that..

The captains license requires a lot of stuff was wondering if any of our supporting Capt's can help with were to go  on these requiremnts.. I have not received my for info packets just a email.

Thanks for your help

Joe

Offline hareball

• Super Hero Member
    • waterwolves
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 10:50:35 PM »
good luck joey! my buddy has only his test left to take now. think he goes soon up to new york to take it.
There is water at the bottom of the ocean- David Byrne

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 10:53:27 PM »
Nick, Thanks have that..

The captains license requires a lot of stuff was wondering if any of our supporting Capt's can help with were to go  on these requiremnts.. I have not received my for info packets just a email.

Thanks for your help

Joe
I was thinking of taking the course.  I ordered the book for the home study option along with the class.  Needless to say, I hate sitting in class so I backed out, but still have the book to keep myself refreshed.
You can order the book here.
http://seaschool.com/frm-oupv.htm
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 11:35:44 PM »
Hi All,

First, you did the smart thing and signed up for a class. I used 3Bs but Mariner's School is good.

Here is how I did it.

1. Took the course over three weekends, the last Sunday was the test.

2. After passing the test (you will know after each section if you passed that section if it was like my school) I started getting the other things.

3. Signed up with the Red Cross for CPR/First Aid. That took 4 hrs. one Saturday morning. There were 10 people in my class. Apparently, all nurses need to recertifiy frequently. Had the First Aid and CPR cards mailed a few days later.

4. Went ot my optomitrist for an eye exam.

5. Took the eye exam results to my doctor. He did the physical and signed off all the medical stuff. Now had all those forms in hand.

6. Went to LabCorp in Brick, NJ for a "chain of custody" drug test. they know what that is. They mailed the results in about a week.

7. Got the certificates in the mail from the Captain's school.

8. Took all paperwork (including sea service, recommendations, etc.) and got them notarized.

9. Put a file together  with all the paperwork. Went and photocopied it for the future.

10. Went to NY with all the fees and paperwork and planned on fingerprints there which are now mandatory.

11. Waited a few weeks for the results.

You can study independently and take the test in NY but good luck. I near nothing good about that. I am confident I would have passed but why sweat it.

You can call the Coast Guard in NY and they will send the package. They say you can print it on the web byt my Instructor suggested all paperwork be sent by the Coast Guard (for a few reasons - one of which is that if they sent the wrong version of a form, they were more likely to work with you than if you printed the wrong form off the web).

Many schools help with physicals and drug tests. I prefer to do them myself.

There are also services to help you file the paperwork. They are useless. Do your own work so you know the process. The folks at the Coast Guard answered all my questions via phone or when I went there.

Good luck,

Ed
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 10:51:57 AM by Capt. Ed »

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 07:08:40 AM »
Everything Capt Ed said.  Also, the Mariner's School spoon feeds you ALL the info you need to pass the course.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-