Author Topic: Cast Net Care  (Read 4332 times)

Offline captain richy b

• Full Member of the Den
Cast Net Care
« on: May 15, 2007, 11:44:09 PM »
Get a 5 gallon bucket with lid.  Drill a bunch of 1.5 inch holes in the side and bottom.  This will keep your net dry and have air flowing thru the bucket.

Take an extra 5 gallon bucket, fill with freshwater and throw some Dawn dishsoap in it.  After using your net, when your done casting for the day, soak your net in the soapy water until you get back to the dock or home.

Rinse your net in clean fresh water at home or at the dock.

Take your net home, throw it out into a shady spot on the lawn.  Let it dry before storing it in the bucket with the holes.

Every third or fourth use, soak in cheap fabric softner, overnight, then rinse and air dry the next day.  If your net is new, do this right away, you'll be suprised how much better a soft net opens up!

Offline wingshooter

Re: Cast Net Care
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 11:56:06 PM »
cool tip,, thanks TT^

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 08:39:34 AM »
cool tip,, thanks TT^

very true, good post  t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 08:54:50 AM »
Good tip, with the price of the better nets, it is well advised to take care of them as that will extend the life of them by a good amount. 
As Capt Richy said, it will also make it much easier to get a good throw with the net.

Joe
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 05:18:59 PM »
I got rid on my net bucket to save space, I store the castnet in one of those net laundrey bags......air drys and you can keep it just about anywhere ;)

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 01:56:53 PM »
Nice post. I am buying some fabric softener tonioght for my new Calusa Cracker 8'.

Boy taht suckers is pretty heavy and big for me (I am only 5'6")

Offline venisoneatr

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 01:01:52 AM »
Are you recommending soaking a nylon net in fabric softener? Sorry for the dumb question  :-[
I've got a 6' Bett's I was hoping to catch some bunker with... too small??? Did I waste my money???

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 09:28:46 AM »
Depending on mesh size, yuo could do vry well with peanuts with a 6'. I think theat size is a bit too small for large bunker.
I have a 6' smaller mesh net and was never able to get big bunker in it (doesn't mean you can't), but cleaned up on peanuts when they were real thick.
I invested in an 8' large mesh and it is noticebaly bigger to me then a 6' net.

10 is probably ideal, but i felt slightly smaller would be better for me.

Ruger314

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 11:36:05 AM »
soak in freshwater and once awhile soak in dish soap.. Never leave out in the sun to long. will ruin in!! When you leave you house soak in a bucket of freshwater while driving down. This way when your going to use the net that day.. Its soft and easy to load.. I strap the bucket of freshwater in  so also Have freshwater to wah my hands. Helps with the saltwater dryness on the them.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-