Author Topic: Lobster pots  (Read 6942 times)

Offline GregB

Lobster pots
« on: June 20, 2007, 01:19:42 PM »
Anyone have any lobster pot gps numbers so I can target Mahi? I would be talking north jersey area. If you don't want to give up the numbers just tell me what depth and general distance offshore. Or send me an email. Thanks! Any help appreciated.
"The Fourth Dependent"

Offline Capt. Ed

Re: Lobster pots
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 03:22:18 PM »
Hi GregB,

A bit early for Mahi nearshore. But, you juts need to go to the Shark River Reef and follow it directly east to the center of the Mudhole. There are more lobster pots than you will ever be able to fish.

Try:

N40 06.545 W73 41.450

out to N40 07.735 W73 37.760

There are way too many Bluefish out there but good luck.

If you need numbers closer to Sandy Hook, maybe someone can provide them ... but I would just make a run following the nearest spot to the Mudhole and there will be pots galore.

Capt. Ed

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 05:43:10 PM »
What do these fish have to do with a lobster pot?

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 06:20:31 PM »
They hang out under the pots.  They use anything floating for structure.  Some guys are known to take out a sheet of plywood, toss it in the water on their way out, record the #s on their GPS, locate and then fish it on their way in.  (So I've been told  ;D )Cast into them or troll past them and hold on.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »
Cool ;D

Offline GregB

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 09:45:41 PM »
thanks, I just read a report on another site that Andrea's Toy nailed a few on the pots last weekend. I am dying to catch one. On another subject, Does anyone want to sister boats out to try for the schoolie bluefin with me? I want to make an effort but it will be my first venture of this type so I could use someone with a little patience and experience. We could set out together and then split up to troll different areas then share info or something like that. I have a 2005 23' Proline Walk w/single 200hp Merc 2 stroke.(90 gallons)
"The Fourth Dependent"

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 10:01:26 PM »
 that could be a possibility greg, what is close to where you pull out of? when where you looking todo this?

i would have to run the icw from seaside upto the manasquan, top off tank somewhere there for good measure, then head out. by my chart, monster ledge is 20 miles outta mansquan inlet. i have 1 buddy going with me, and i'll run it by him and see if he's up for a change. if theres nothing happening i could move inland a little and do sharkie time out there.
 21' striper w/a w/f150, 105gals fuel
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline GregB

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 10:12:58 PM »
We could do that. I trailer so I really could come to you if you are more familiar with the ridge. Doesn't matter. I could hit monster ledge as well. I would like to do it in the next two weeks or so. I gotta get guys together. We should set up some dates and try to stick to em if the weather is right. I would also like to have some sort of game plan. How familiar are you with inshore trolling? I have a list of trolling spread(from this site under inshore tuna)and was thinking of just using that.I am a virgin of inshore tuna so be gentle.. haha
"The Fourth Dependent"

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 11:00:23 PM »
Hi All,

I am going searching for bluefin tomorrow and will share any/all info.

I plan to head from Manasquan Inlet; off to the Manasquan Ridge; out to the Shark River Reef; to the Mudhole; hang a right at the "HA" buoy toward the Barnegat Ridge.

Last year was an inshore bust ... the two years before were great and this was the time.

Capt. Ed

Offline GregB

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 11:28:23 PM »
Ed, good luck. I hope you do well. Maybe we can hook up over the next couple weeks. I just got the permit and would love to use it.
"The Fourth Dependent"

Offline hareball

• Super Hero Member
    • waterwolves
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 01:37:49 AM »
good luck captain ed! can't wait to read your report for the trip t^

btw, how long does it take for you to get to the ridge?

last time I left for the ridge out of BL it took about 2 hours at 10-13 knots. havent timed it out of LE yet though. hope to know it really well soon enough though ;D
There is water at the bottom of the ocean- David Byrne

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 04:12:57 PM »
 greg, as far as trolling goes, im a noob.

im gonna give it a shot armed only with stuff i've read in articles,forums posts, and watching video's of. i have a small, and i mean small selection of lures to use. just a few of the basic always bring things. clarks, green machine, cedar plugs, and a few others.

i'll be going out this saturday, weather permitting, rain date of sunday. also looks like i will probally only be doing 1 inshore trolling run a month till late in summer. if you can muster up a crew (sure alot of guys here would like togo)then try and let me know by friday night, my cell # is listed in cantacts section. if you cant make it, i'll let ya know how i did ;D i'd offer to take on another person, but im worried about room. dont have alot of space on the back of the 21 w/a, and i am gonna bring 2 big coolers. hell, it might be tight with just the 2 on there. hmm, might have to strap a cooler up on the bow.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 11:01:27 PM »
Hi All,

There are no Mahi on the pots.

BTW, you don't have to troll them. I pick out really dirty ones (an indication that they have been in the water for a while) and throw bait or a buctail near the buoy. It is cool.

Guys - if you fish for Mahi, bring spearing and killies. They will hit artificials ... when they figure that out I move to spearing; and then I throw a bunch of killies near the pot and that usually gets them jumping.

One other thing - if you want to keep these tasty fish, net them ... do not try to "heavr it into the boat" as I have lost a bunch that way.

Soon I hope,

Capt. Ed

PS - Report to follow in a few minutes ... what a day!

Offline GregB

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 11:33:07 PM »
reel, I just ordered 200.00 worth of trolling lures for inshore tuna. I will have them by next week and will look to get out next Sat or Sunday. I haven't decided where to go yet but I will let you know by Wed if I got the guys to chip in for that fuel bill! Good luck on your trip this sat. I will be out as well looking for big stripers with spoons or live bunker around the rocks. Call me on 16 or 68,72(4th Dependent)if you are up my way.Or the cell#201-893-1383
"The Fourth Dependent"

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-