Author Topic: tips on rods and reels to buy  (Read 1692 times)

Offline james.e.w

tips on rods and reels to buy
« on: June 20, 2007, 08:50:05 AM »
I currently have a surf rod and reel. I will doing more saltwater fishing in the upcoming year. I am interested in purchasing another surf outfit in addition to a back water setup. I am looking for good quality rods and reels at a good price. Also some tips on surf rod lengths. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Offline Capt. Ed

Re: tips on rods and reels to buy
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 03:35:47 PM »
Hi James.e.w,

Do you like casting conventional reels or are you a spinning reel person?

Reasonable price around $200 per outfit?

We can go from there ...

Capt. Ed

Offline james.e.w

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 05:29:14 PM »
Either is fine. My current surf rod is a spinning outfit. I have many spinning and bait casting reels for freshwater. I don't want them to see saltwater. I know Penn has a good name when it comes to saltwater but i use a lot of Shimano reels for freshwater. They can get pricey and I am not going to be that hrd on them. I just don't want to spend too little and have it brake nor do I want to spend too much and have it sit around. I am also clueless when it comes to surf rods. The one I currently have I bought when I had scheduled a charter for striper and the boat didn't go out do to high winds. So I wasn't going to give up. I went to the closest tackle store, bought a rod and reel and fished from the surf. I had a great time and caught many stripers and got hooked. That was a few years ago but I still haven't read up on it.

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 06:14:40 PM »
 since penn switched to basically plastic in thier spinnign reels, i no longer desire the ss series. there was just something about beign metal that made them tanks.

if you like shimano, then there is no reason not to get another for the surf.

one of my new favorites for the suds is an okuma coronado 50, its a bait runner that will trip it off as soon as you reel. and a penn spinfisher in 11ft. just plain awsome. and total set up should be around 150 bucks to boot.

the reel,

http://www.okumafishingteam.com/reels/surf/coronado.html

the pole,

http://www.pennreels.com/01_products/rods/spinfishersurfrods/spinfishersurfrods.htm
All your tuna's are belong to me

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-