Author Topic: R.O.O.R. Rally Results  (Read 2701 times)

Offline apmaurosr

R.O.O.R. Rally Results
« on: October 26, 2009, 09:15:09 AM »

R.O.O.R. Rally Results

A 25 year veteran of New Jersey's political establishment said, "It was the most legislators that I every saw at a sportsmen event and I was proud to be a part of the rally."

Another observer stated, "There were as many people in attendance at the R.O.O.R. as were at the rally held by the Vice President of the United States for Governor Corzine - and that rally had no threat of rain."

One person noted, "I think R.O.O.R. should be an annual event."

For those of you unable to attend, there were  8 legislators from both the democrat and republican parties in attendance. There were a total of 15 guest speakers (including legislators) - experts in their fields. They discussed bear policy, open space, commercial gear on the reefs, the state of New Jersey's dwindling quail habitat, poor forestry practices and the sea bass closure. The legislators thanked the outdoor community for their support and recognized their contributions towards environmental stewardship.

The turnstile counter totaled 689 attendees - each of these people defied the rain and made the trip to New Egypt to show their commitment to change the eroding condition of angling, hunting and forestry in New Jersey. On behalf of all of the volunteers of the NJOA - I thank you for your dedication. You are helping to ensure the future viability of our natural resources and helping to guarantee that we have access to them.

Of course, special guest speaker Mr. Chris Christie was the highlight of the day.  He reiterated his commitment to the anglers, hunters and conservationists of New Jersey. He happily had his picture taken with the hundreds of people who patiently waited in line and reached out to shake every outstretched hand.   

Mr. Christie has been vocal about his support for the outdoor community during his campaign speeches, statements on his website and with me personally. In May of 2009 he attended a NJOA council member meeting to address the concerns of fishing, hunting, diving and forestry clubs.

So, thanks to all of you who were with us in New Egypt or who were with us in spirit. We'll soon be posting pictures on our website so be sure to visit our Home page at: http://www.njoutdooralliance.org

Anthony P. Mauro, Sr.
Chairman,
New Jersey Outdoor Alliance: "We've got your back!"
JOIN NJOA:  http://www.njoutdooralliance.org/support/njoa.html   

Offline CaptTB

• SSFFF
  • Sponsor
Re: R.O.O.R. Rally Results
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 07:06:02 AM »
Anthony, sorry I was unable to attend the meeting because of work. Since this info has been posted on many salt water fishing sites, and the Sea Bass closure was used as one of the calls to attend the rally, I was wondering what course of action to deal with the Sea Bass closure NJOA is taking and what was discussed at the meeting.

Without more information it is impossible to support NJOA's actions in this matter, as many of us would like to do.

looking forward to your answer and NJOA's support of RFA's and United Boatmen's actions in dealing with this same issue.

Capt. Tony Bogan

Offline apmaurosr

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 08:57:12 AM »
Hi CaptTB

Feel free to copy and paste my response to your question, since you've asked it on other forums and I have provided an answer.

The NJOA supports any initiative that benefits angling, hunting, forestry, marine ecology, environmental stewardship  as long as the principles of conservation weigh appropriately into the decision.

There are many ways to skin a cat, the RFA, United Boatmen, commercial interestes, etc. may take one course of action - other groups like the NJOA (that is state focused) have other avenues at their disposal. The NJOA is pursuing the sea bass closure from an educational standpoint (educating anglers, hunters, conservationists, NJ legislators, etc.) about the closure. We are also targeting our efforts at influencing key people locally. (Yes, there is, are, a local influence.)

While a lawsuit is one approach our approach is from a different direction (I don't think it wise to announce our strategy on an internet forum.) Together, we may all help to make a difference in the long run. As you wrote, the sea bass closure in one of several issues discussed at the rally.

Similarly, we haven't seen support from United Boatmen on removing commercial gear from the reefs. We don't assume there is lack of support by United Boatment  - it might just be that it is not a priority or perhaps it is being approached from a different angle or maybe there's a conflict - we don't assume to know. The NJOA is dedicating its efforts at the state level (Gov., DEP and DFW) and is attempting to leverage any influence from the state back on the federal government for those reefs in federal waters.

Anyway, we at the NJOA wish the RFA, United Boatmen and commercial interests success on raising funds for litigation. Hopefully the length of time ligigation entails can make a diference in the short term, as well as the long term. In the interim, the NJOA will pursue an alternate course of action.

Again, feel free to copy and paste this response to on the other forums where you are asking such questions.

Ant         
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 09:04:06 AM by apmaurosr »

Offline CaptTB

• SSFFF
  • Sponsor
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 09:37:40 AM »
Similarly, we haven't seen support from United Boatmen on removing commercial gear from the reefs. We don't assume there is lack of support by United Boatment  - it might just be that it is not a priority or perhaps it is being approached from a different angle or maybe there's a conflict - we don't assume to know.

Difference is Ant that United Boatmen never held up removing commercial gear as a reason to join or support United Boatmen, as a matter of fact United Boatmen has never commented on the topic and has therefore no connection to it whatsoever.

NJOA however DID use the Sea Bass Closure as a reason to attend the NJOA rally and support NJOA...

Big difference sir, and if you cannot see that then I question your judgement on this and other issues as well.

The NJOA is dedicating its efforts at the state level (Gov., DEP and DFW) and is attempting to leverage any influence from the state back on the federal government for those reefs in federal waters.

Anyway, we at the NJOA wish the RFA, United Boatmen and commercial interests success on raising funds for litigation. Hopefully the length of time ligigation entails can make a diference in the short term, as well as the long term. In the interim, the NJOA will pursue an alternate course of action.

Again, feel free to copy and paste this response to on the other forums where you are asking such questions.

Ant         

Thank you for your non-response, response.

It is a shame that NJOA, in my first hand experience attending NJOA sponsored meetings previously, has talked about unity and consensus yet when pressed has chosen to remain silent when asked to unify.

This is the response I expected, it is too bad NJOA has chosen to ignore the fact that groups like UB and RFA have been working locally and at a state level for years before NJOA even existed, while simultaneously working at the federal level, and has chosen to go it alone with an as yet unspecified "different approach".

For those reading, United Boatmen and RFA will continue to work on both the local, state and federal levels, while offering actual public support (and not just well wishes) for any action NJOA and other groups may actively take, if we ever find out what they are.

Working behind the scenes is something that has been done since before the closure even happened, knowing that it was likely to come as many of us did.

Time to work openly and support each other. Too bad NJOA has chosen not to do that.

Capt. Tony Bogan
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 09:40:21 AM by CaptTB »

Offline apmaurosr

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 11:48:04 AM »
Perhap you should read the answer again CaptTB. The answer is there - it just seems that you are having some difficulty recognizing it.

As for unity, in WWII there were allied forces working toward the same goal but working in different areas to win the war. There was unity in their purpose - but they focused on different areas as a means of accomplishing it.

The NJOA is working on the issue from two areas at the state level. We are guided by the expertise of people with decades of experience in salt water issues, people with past experience with DEP, DFW, etc. We have spoken with legislators and biologists, etc.

Because CaptTB isn't using the approach of the NJOA we aren't saying there isn't "unity." We're glad that the sea bass closure is being approached at both the state and federal levels - not just by means of a lawsuit.

Gladly, my definition of unity and your differs. Yours seems to be we do it the CapTB way or there isn't unity. This definition is too narrow for me.

The NJOA is not on a funding drive to support our efforts - so we are not competing with the funding sources you would use for the lawsuit. People and organizations that want to fund the lawsuit are not using there money for any NJOA purposes.

Please feel free to also copy and paste this response on the other forums where your are posting similar frustration.

There seems to be an effort by some to vilify people/organizations that don't conform with the thinking of others - I think this is what is creating dessension in our ranks - not people who work toward a common goal but do so taking different approaches.

Ant   

« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 11:50:55 AM by apmaurosr »

Offline CaptTB

• SSFFF
  • Sponsor
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 01:29:53 PM »
Gladly, my definition of unity and your differs. Yours seems to be we do it the CapTB way or there isn't unity. This definition is too narrow for me.

And, Ant, perhaps you should learn to read and comprehend what others write, since I never even remotely suggested there was any problem with alternative approaches. As a matter of fact, I have repeatedly stated I wish to support all other actions being taken. Something that you, however, have not done.

The NJOA is not on a funding drive to support our efforts - so we are not competing with the funding sources you would use for the lawsuit. People and organizations that want to fund the lawsuit are not using there money for any NJOA purposes.

No, NJOA is simply using issues of which they have little or no involvement in to drum up support for NJOA, while at the same time giving mere lip service, and nothing more, to other actions being taken. NJOA, despite not being involved at in the issue other than "behind the scenes" and "at the local and state level" has continued to ignore requests for support from other groups doing things at the same levels, and at the federal level as well.

Perhaps I should send you a link to a dictionary on-line so you can look up the words support and unity, apparently your definition is different than the rest of planet earth. ::)

There seems to be an effort by some to vilify people/organizations that don't conform with the thinking of others - I think this is what is creating dessension in our ranks - not people who work toward a common goal but do so taking different approaches.

Ant 

Actually, there seems to be a lack of concern for the actual issue at hand and the individuals and businesses alike that are affected by it on the part of the NJOA chairman. What there has been, other than his attempts to portray a request, repeated request, for answers and support as an attempt to "vilify" him and the organization he is from, is a disingenuous use of an important topic by NJOA to get attendees at their rally.

This automatically defensive attitude on your part is a bit childish, and this is the second time you have tried to change the subject.

As I said before, apparently you have learned much from dealing with politicians in Trenton, too bad it was how to avoid the topic, speak without saying anything of substance, and portray yourself as the poor persecuted "wounded duck" who others are picking on.

You sir are a non-issue as far as I am concerned.

Hopefully your "education" campaign will work, it is certainly important for people to be educated on the various issues we face. In this particular case, a friendly piece of advice would be to at least mention the word Sea Bass somewhere on the NJOA website. Since your flyer for the ROOR rally mentioned nothing about the issue and none of the subsequent posts you have made even mentioned the topic, perhaps actually discussing it publicly would be a start, but that's just a suggestion.

If you need help in identifying the main points of this issue, for example the fact that it goes far beyond just sea bass, perhaps a quick stop by the RFA or Unitedboatmen website will help, or since you apparently cannot offer any direct public support for those groups' actions and can only wish them luck, perhaps just pointing people to the various websites where those two groups have posted information like njsaltwaterfisherman.com

I also find it interesting that, as before, you simply ignored points in my post and pretended they were never mentioned, but I have come to expect that from you.

Also, You mentioned that you have not seen UB supporting the "commercials off reefs" issue, and compared that to me asking for NJOA support of the actions being taken by RFA and UB on the sea bass issue. Do you even understand the difference? You do realize that UB never used that topic to generate attendence for meeting/rallys nor to get others to support us right? By the way, is NJOA currently accepting donations? Unless you are telling me that NJOA is not currently accepting any sort of funding whatsoever from individuals then you are most certainly on a funding drive, as are all groups who accept donations. Just because you did not specifically ask for money for Sea Bass or any other issue does not change that fact. Difference is, we are asking for YOUR support of an issue that YOU YOURSELF used as a reason to get people to come to an NJOA RALLY. UB has never done any such thing with the reef issue, but nice try to once again deflect the topic away from it's actual purpose.

You made one comment that I found interesting:
While a lawsuit is one approach our approach is from a different direction (I don't think it wise to announce our strategy on an internet forum.)

It reminded me of something I learned as a child about people telling you they have your interests in mind but won't tell you how, why or what they are doing, and the best example of it is found here:
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain"

« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 01:32:55 PM by CaptTB »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-