Author Topic: thinking about buying a boat  (Read 5108 times)

Offline NJ Guy

• AKA "Virgina Beach Guy"
  • Super Hero Member
thinking about buying a boat
« on: January 04, 2010, 10:15:44 PM »
okay so im thinking about selling my hummer h1 and buying a boat... I will deffinately be a first time boat owner been on lots of friends boats many times and grew up on my neighbors boat practically... what is a good all around starter boat...hummer should sell for roughly 55k 60 at the most anyways any advice appreciated
270 AmberJack "Sweet Emocean"

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: thinking about buying a boat
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 10:19:04 PM »
you have to start with a saftey exam.  Once that is complete, you will need to know what your going to be using it for.  A good starter boat is usually in the 18 - 21' range, but again, its all about the type of use you want to put into it.  I just sold my Luna Sea 3, but might be a little too much to handle for a first timer. 
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 10:23:12 PM »
The first Question I would ask myself is.  What do I want out it?  Bay fishing..  Inshore fishing?  More cruising than fishing?

Offline NJ Guy

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 10:33:50 PM »
The first Question I would ask myself is.  What do I want out it?  Bay fishing..  Inshore fishing?  More cruising than fishing?

going to be mostly inshore and bay fishing as for the cruising probly not  :P

thinking about a center console but not sure if i want to give up having no cabin at all hmmm

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 12:02:09 AM »
Well then In My opinion....

I would stay away from the center console.  As much has I loved that open feeling.  I could only enjoy it 4 months out of the year when it was fun getting wet. but a great fishing boat indeed.

If you plan on peaking outside. I wouldn't buy anything under 21' and a min of a 8' beam.  If you go any smaller you'll wish you didn't.

Offline Stray Cat

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 12:59:41 AM »

I would stay away from the center console.  As much has I loved that open feeling.  I could only enjoy it 4 months out of the year when it was fun getting wet. but a great fishing boat indeed.

If you plan on peaking outside. I wouldn't buy anything under 21' and a min of a 8' beam.  If you go any smaller you'll wish you didn't.

Very well said  t^
Mark

Offline L.T.

• AKA Laker Taker
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 07:32:52 AM »

whs in addition, sounds like a walk around cuddy would do the trick  t^
Forgive your enemy but, remember the bastard's name.

Offline NJ Guy

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 09:04:13 AM »

yeah it makes sense what you said about the center console

how much does age play into boats

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1987-BLACK-WATCH--30-Sportfisher-(Bring-Offers!!)-90558059

this being a 1987 is that a huge issue is there a general age to stay above

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 09:27:45 AM »
It may be hard to unload that Hummer also.

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 10:24:45 AM »
My first thought on this subject is where do you plan on using the boat and how many people will be in the boat with you.Slip or trailer. Overnighter or weekender/ day tripper. New/used ? I had boats for 30+ years sold mine in 2008. For a 25' boat my budget was 10K/year on top of any payments.Includes storage,insurance,slip,fuel,maintenance bait & tackle plus a "little" reserve.We made around 40+ trips /year. This can vary but you get the idea. Fuel is probably the least of those expenses.I burned around 500 gallons of fuel per year with my single engine inboard and rarely had enough time to get out. I didn't say anything about weather. I loved every minute of it & wouldn't change anything  ;D

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 11:08:09 AM »
ran out of space:

let me give you a little advice,if i may...
first boat,right ?? what's your background ? mechanically inclined ? reason i ask this is,if you're looking at a bigger boat,there's more systems to maintain,more complicated.if you lack the basic skills,you're gonna need service people.service people to take care of the engines,the electrical system and generator(if applicable) and other systems-this ads consideribley to the cost of ownership.
  smaller boats,with outboards,are much easier to service,these require less upkeep,than a set of diesels or a gas inboard.remember this,the only power designed strictly for marine use is an outboard,everything else is a conversion-marinization....

if i were you,and i was going to purchse my first boat.having some experience,a smaller boat isn't mabey the best choice-i would look for soemthing in the 25'27' range,outboard powered...this is gonna give you the best bang for your buck.you're gonna get your feet wet,and learn alot about running a boat,operating electronics,etc...these boats are as sea worthy as the bigger boats.do not let anyone tell you the typical bull crap-trust me,4'-6' seas in anything is nasty,and you really shouldn't be out there beating the boat to death with yourself along for the ride.another thing is,do not believe what anyone tells you concerning speed,guys are gonna tell you anything "i can run 30kts in 5' seas",that's a popluar claim,from a gentleman with a 25' boat...do not believe it,it's not gonna happen...
again,in my opinion,your best bet is to keep it simple,and ease into this...be patient,you will find what you're looking for...

Great Points Jim t^

Offline NJ Guy

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 11:46:05 AM »
It may be hard to unload that Hummer also.

youd be suprised how often i get offers on it haha its a really rare model

Offline NJ Guy

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 11:51:43 AM »
ran out of space:

first boat,right ?? what's your background ? mechanically inclined ? reason i ask this is,if you're looking at a bigger boat,there's more systems to maintain,more complicated.if you lack the basic skills,you're gonna need service people.service people to take care of the engines,the electrical system and generator(if applicable) and other systems-this ads consideribley to the cost of ownership.
  smaller boats,with outboards,are much easier to service,these require less upkeep,than a set of diesels or a gas inboard.remember this,the only power designed strictly for marine use is an outboard,everything else is a conversion-marinization....

if i were you,and i was going to purchse my first boat.having some experience,a smaller boat isn't mabey the best choice-i would look for soemthing in the 25'27' range,outboard powered...this is gonna give you the best bang for your buck.you're gonna get your feet wet,and learn alot about running a boat,operating electronics,etc...these boats are as sea worthy as the bigger boats.do not let anyone tell you the typical bull crap-trust me,4'-6' seas in anything is nasty,and you really shouldn't be out there beating the boat to death with yourself along for the ride.another thing is,do not believe what anyone tells you concerning speed,guys are gonna tell you anything "i can run 30kts in 5' seas",that's a popluar claim,from a gentleman with a 25' boat...do not believe it,it's not gonna happen...
again,in my opinion,your best bet is to keep it simple,and ease into this...be patient,you will find what you're looking for...

very good advice as for mechanical skills im fully capable mechanical and electrical built my first camaro at 16 and worked construction for years ect ect ect

yeah i was leaning towards a mid to high 20' boat too i saw some 17-20 footers and they just looked to small for me. We'll see what happens ive been casually browsing boatrader and some other sites. most likely would make purchase around march-april.

I really liked your advice on asking somebody to come along to take a brief look at a boat before hiring a surveyor. if it comes down to that i offer 100 bucks and  case of beer to whoever tags along :P

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 12:36:30 PM »
 chrz chrz chrz
Arty's Carpet Service.

For all your carpet needs RUGMAN7092@OPTONLINE.NET

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 04:37:12 PM »
ran out of space:

very good advice as for mechanical skills im fully capable mechanical and electrical built my first camaro at 16 and worked construction for years ect ect ect

yeah i was leaning towards a mid to high 20' boat too i saw some 17-20 footers and they just looked to small for me. We'll see what happens ive been casually browsing boatrader and some other sites. most likely would make purchase around march-april.

I really liked your advice on asking somebody to come along to take a brief look at a boat before hiring a surveyor. if it comes down to that i offer 100 bucks and  case of beer to whoever tags along :P
t^  but we don't charge for help here  t^  Capt Joe would be more than willing...not like he works or anything ;D

Offline NJ Guy

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 04:51:19 PM »
ran out of space:

t^  but we don't charge for help here  t^  Capt Joe would be more than willing...not like he works or anything ;D

Good to know really appreciate it.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-