Author Topic: How To Catch Mackerel  (Read 3823 times)

Offline Jeffish

How To Catch Mackerel
« on: January 18, 2010, 09:35:39 AM »
After reading a Mackerel fishing report a few days ago, it got me wondering.

I'd like to get some insight on the do's and dont's of mackerel fishing, the gear needed, etc. This is a fish I know nothing about, and if it bites, I want to catch it!

So, a few questions. How far are they out? Can you reach them by land, or only by boat? Bait or lures, or both? Bottom fish, or cast and reel?

Thanks in advance for any input!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 09:40:54 AM by Hotrod »

Offline Noworries2009

Re: How To Catch Mackerel
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 10:47:46 AM »
This is party boat fishing these days. 150+ depths,heavy tackle to get to the bottom. Drifting boats when 8+ oz weights to get down and stay down. Only a couple of boats are going so...... just go and it won't take long to figure out. They will have all you need on the boat. No rocket science  ;D

Offline Jeffish

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 11:01:53 AM »
So, there isn't a chance of fishing off a pier for them? I thought they hung out near the surface.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 12:27:35 PM »
As Noworries said, party boat fishing. The trip I was on last week put us east of the mud hole, 25-30 miles off. That will probably just a little out of reach for a cast off the beach.  ;D

Meduim/Heavy rod Penn 320 or equivelant reel. If you have a line counter that helps also. The mackeral can be anywhere in the water column. The line counter will take the guess work out of where your teaser is. The captain will call out on the pa what depth the fish are at. We had them any where from thirty feet down to the bottom (150+ at times), even on the same drift.

No bait necessary. 'Firecracker' rigs were working better than the tubes when I was out. If you need one or two stop by my house, I'll hook ya up with a couple.  t^ Firecracker rigs are the same as the tube rigs but there is mylar braid with a clear tube over it instead of the colored tubes over the hook.

Bring a big cooler with ice. Even in cold weather ice is a must if you are planning on eating them. If you are catching them for bait, you can forgo the ice on a cold day. Bring a bucket or basket to put the fish in as you are catching. When the boat moves for another drift, dump the fish from the bucket/basket into your cooler. Saves time and effort as you are fishing.

Best to go during the week and not the weekend. Weekends will be full boat conditions, more tangles, less room to fish. Probably best to use mono line for this type of fishing as you can get out of tangles much easier or cut if needed. If you cut, you will not be looking at five dollars worth of braid going into the trash can.

Have fun, tip the mates and take pics.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Jeffish

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 03:50:57 PM »
I'll have to see the prices of charters and stuff. The bass aren't biting in lakes, and I'm getting the itch to pull something in, whether it be a boot or a fish. At least it's something.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 04:29:42 PM »
$60 for the mackeral trip on the party boat out of Belmar.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline NJ Guy

• AKA "Virgina Beach Guy"
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 08:30:23 PM »
$60 for the mackeral trip on the party boat out of Belmar.

could you send me the name or link of that boat i would like to go catch some bait for spring  t^
270 AmberJack "Sweet Emocean"

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 04:29:05 PM »
Not a sponsor here but only boat in Belmar going for them as far as I know. The female boat same as the town  ;D

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-