Author Topic: Antifouling Paint  (Read 6822 times)

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
Antifouling Paint
« on: January 19, 2010, 06:45:06 AM »
Just started looking into paint for the bottom of the boat. I went to West Marine’s website and found paint form $45.00 to $250.00 a gallon. Since there is a big difference in price, I am sure I am in for some learning.
Can anyone shed some light on what I am looking for?

The bottom of my boat is in fine shape. When I cleaned it off at the end of the season, I noticed the paint looked a little thin. Thinking it needs another coat. Right?

Thanks for the help
Rick
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Antifouling Paint
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 07:29:52 AM »
You can not really tell the condition of the paint just by the thickness. The anti fouling quality is what matters and you can not tell that by appearance.

I use the Interlux ACT. It is an ablative paint that 'wears away' as you are running. I paint the bottom every year and because it 'wears away' there is not a big build up from many coats.  t^

I know others can explain about the anti fouling quality much better than I can so I will leave that to them.  TT^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Jeffish

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 09:55:36 AM »
I would've said just go to home depot, and use high gloss exterior paint, but that's also why I don't own a boat either..  rofla

Very informative post Jawz!

Still Running, how bout' some pictures while your painting the boat! Pictures are always awesome!

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 09:57:52 AM »
great topic
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Jeffish

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 10:01:20 AM »
let me add this...
bottom's need to be properly prepped.the bottom has to be chemically dewaxed,then scuff sanded before anything can be applied to bare fiberglass...
nothing will stick to antifouling bottom paint,if you're removing the paint from the bottom,even after blasting,the bottom needs to be sanded,to remove the residue,then solvent washed before anything is applied...

aluminum parts and bottom paint...

if your boat is equipped with an aluminum outboard bracket,you need to paint it with the correct paint-trilux,is what i use and reccomend,it's a tin base,not copper...remember,copper and aluminum do not play well together in sea water...also,you need a gap between anything aluminum and the copper bottom paint-gap needs to be atleast 1" wide...failure to follow this advice will result in a galvanic reaction...

Now I'm curious. Why do you say there will be a "Galvanic Reaction", and how would it occur?

Mmm, Science.

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 07:02:51 PM »
 t^ Great info
Thanks!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 09:13:09 PM »

best way to do a bottom is like this:
epoxy barrier coat-i like and reccomend interprotect 2000e,use both colors,grey and white,this way,you know you're covering it all...make the barrier coat as thick as a matchbook cover-10mils-anything less,is just expensive primer...
after you've got the bottom barrier coated,i use and reccomend the "tel coat" method.paint a coat of cheap crap hard bottom paint,a different color than what you're gonna finish with-blue finished bottom,use a black "tell coat"...after this,i paint the bottom 4-5 times with micron CSC...should get 4-5yrs from this...

Couldnt agree more!!!

Thats what we did with our boat after blasting and fairing.

2 Long seasons and the bottom is in great shape!!!

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 09:14:47 AM »
We have great prices on bottom paint. West marine Bottom Paint is made by Petit. I used tons of there single season ablative last year.
Its all you need. Don't waste money on all these 200-300$ a gallon paint. Want a good price on bottom paint, call me. We can buy and sell any West Marine Bottom paint cheaper than you can buy it.
Wanna spend more money on multi-season paints like Micron CSC, we can get that too.

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline brian8980

• The Gimper
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 09:34:38 PM »
thats all well and good for the boat, but what do you do about the electronics that are in the water, like a stern mounted fish/depth finder? :headscra:
The trouble with fishing is it was better before you got there, and after you left.
When in doubt...exaggerate

Offline Stray Cat

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 12:04:52 AM »
thats all well and good for the boat, but what do you do about the electronics that are in the water, like a stern mounted fish/depth finder? :headscra:

I assume your talking about the transducer hanging off you transom. They sell paint for that also.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:05:47 AM by Stray Cat »
Mark

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 10:08:54 AM »
Transducer paint is nothin but water-based bottom paint. It is what should be used on the ducers.

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 04:14:28 PM »
Hey Rick, After I stripped off all the paint on the bottom of my boat I used 3 coats of Interlux barrier coat,  Then 2 coats of Interlux  Micron csc.  SO far its very good. And Warren (WB) just had the marina soda blast,barrier coat his and paint his boat last season.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 07:04:35 PM »
 t^ Thanks for the info Eddie.

Www.HNCTruckParts.com

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-