Author Topic: Thinking of a Repower  (Read 4175 times)

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
Thinking of a Repower
« on: January 22, 2010, 11:02:51 AM »
I am thinking of doing a repower if I can find a good deal on a engine. I have a 1988 200 HP Yamaha on the boat. I think I want to stay with Yamaha just because the controls will fit I hope.
Anyone have any thoughts on should I stay with Yamaha or switch and why?

Thanks
Rick
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Thinking of a Repower
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 12:04:16 PM »
I really liked my Evinrude E-tec's..
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Online IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 12:36:18 PM »
Yamaha all the way.  t^

I repowered my Parker three years ago. Went with the four-stroke. No regrets what so ever. I went from a 1994 to a 2006 (actually called model year now). Only change was with the tach, the controls fit just fine.

Had mine done at Gateway Marina, Highlands, NJ. Talk to Dick, tell him I sent you. I will probably bring my boat there this spring for service.

They are right next to Bahr's, under the bridge.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 12:50:08 PM »
Four stoke all the way..Like starting a car.  Most days I don't even turn my engine off. and you don't even know she's running t^

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 01:41:25 PM »
Stay with the Yammi's TT^

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 01:46:38 PM »
Yamaha all the way.  t^

I repowered my Parker three years ago. Went with the four-stroke. No regrets what so ever. I went from a 1994 to a 2006 (actually called model year now). Only change was with the tach, the controls fit just fine.

Had mine done at Gateway Marina, Highlands, NJ. Talk to Dick, tell him I sent you. I will probably bring my boat there this spring for service.

They are right next to Bahr's, under the bridge.

Joe, Give me a call, when you do come over, we'll have a cold one.Funny...
I bringing mine South for Service. t^

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 01:54:39 PM »
If you are going to buy a new Yammi, go to Rudy Marine in Delaware 9right on NJ Border) low prices and NO SALES TAX, they will also install t^

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 09:28:10 PM »
All the manufacturers make a good product but..... whats been tried and true over the years? One of the main things with 4 strokes on a re-power on older hulls is weight. It was a problem from there onset. They are getting better on building them lighter but where are they shaving the weight from?
What is the weight back there compared to what you wanna replace it with? Where are your scuppers at now? Are they close to the waterline? With heavier weight its gonna sit even lower. Where will you get warranty work done if you buy it far away because you get a good deal? Local dealer? Sure they might/will do it but they might put you at the bottom of the list. You did not buy the motor from them.
Listen, I've been at both ends, as a customer of a New boat/motor, and working in several marinas and dealerships over the years and now in my own business.
I have customer's with almost every brand of motor out there. They all love'em til they break. 
Honda is what I chose. Did not have much choice in 01 from my dealer. It was OMC which was going out or Honda. 400 hrs and only one Ethanolitis issue last year. Had to pull all the carbs and rebuild them, even replace a bunch of the jets. I'm glad it was not fuel injected with that problem. The USCG runs the livin heck out of these Hondas.
Yamaha got some great motors as well as the E-tecs which I see SEA TOW and the NJ Marine Police running.
If getting it done locally, do your homework.
Ask around like your doin here. I'm sure a few others can add some knowledge. Matt.

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline Jeffish

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 11:11:22 PM »
I'd throw 2 big block chevy's in it. But then again, that's why I don't own a boat.
 rofla

All the manufacturers make a good product but..... whats been tried and true over the years? One of the main things with 4 strokes on a re-power on older hulls is weight. It was a problem from there onset. They are getting better on building them lighter but where are they shaving the weight from?
What is the weight back there compared to what you wanna replace it with? Where are your scuppers at now? Are they close to the waterline? With heavier weight its gonna sit even lower. Where will you get warranty work done if you buy it far away because you get a good deal? Local dealer? Sure they might/will do it but they might put you at the bottom of the list. You did not buy the motor from them.
Listen, I've been at both ends, as a customer of a New boat/motor, and working in several marinas and dealerships over the years and now in my own business.
I have customer's with almost every brand of motor out there. They all love'em til they break. 
Honda is what I chose. Did not have much choice in 01 from my dealer. It was OMC which was going out or Honda. 400 hrs and only one Ethanolitis issue last year. Had to pull all the carbs and rebuild them, even replace a bunch of the jets. I'm glad it was not fuel injected with that problem. The USCG runs the livin heck out of these Hondas.
Yamaha got some great motors as well as the E-tecs which I see SEA TOW and the NJ Marine Police running.
If getting it done locally, do your homework.
Ask around like your doin here. I'm sure a few others can add some knowledge. Matt.

I'm sure it's somewhere along the lines of car motors. Using flexible hose instead of pipe. Or using plastic instead of metal. Using aluminum heads, manifolds etc. Aluminum weighs about 35-40% less then steel, and plastic weighs even less.

A typical car engine consists of a cast iron block, cast iron heads, steel crankshaft, aluminum pistons. Aluminum needs to be kept cool in order to not stress and break, so in marine applications such as this, you have an infinite source of coolant. Thus making aluminum prevail.

At least that's what I think
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 11:21:09 PM by jeffibew »

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 09:15:24 AM »
I have seen that first hand.  Couple years ago on someone's re powered boat.. when you stepped near the transom.. water would come in the scuppers about 2 inches deep nts

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 09:52:22 AM »
The only reason I am thinking of the repower is confidence. I have replaced the fuel lines, throttle and steering are not that old. I picked up this boat last year and only had a small problem with the engine. I knew it was a fuel problem, but I ended up replacing the fuel lines and pumps before I found a small piece of dirt in one of the carb’s. Other than that the engine has been fine.  It does have low compression on one cylinder, but it still runs fine. I just have this thing in the back of my mind that one day as I am drifting along and need to move, it may not start. Just because I don’t know the history of this engine and the lower compression is the only reason I would put another engine on this boat.  Guess I am a little spoiled with my other boat. Had it since new and I know what has been done to it and what it can and can’t do. It’s an Optimax and the only thing I don’t like about it is the price of the oil.  Then again it does not use a lot of oil.

Thanks for everyone input.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-