Author Topic: next purchase  (Read 1377 times)

Offline jammss

• Full Member of the Den
next purchase
« on: June 06, 2010, 01:14:05 AM »
So I am getting back into fishing and want to treat my self to something new.
My dad has a 17ft boat that O take out some times but alot of times I fool around on the beach or off docks. Still a beginner. I want to start some plugging and working with lures, have yet to catch a sw fish on one. Preferably something that will work on the boat or off. Maybe I can just buy a rod and not a new reel.

Here what im working with now:
Shimano Sahara on a 8ft medium action ugly stick, Will this work for plugging?

Then I have a Okuma FIna on a walmart surf rod. Not sure what size the reel is but its much bigger then the other. Can I fit maybe a more heavy duty rod with this size real for boat use, ?\

I also have a shake sphere sturdy stick

What should I get/out with what?

Also need to buy the basic lures too obviously, what would that be?

Thanks
James

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: next purchase
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 06:59:37 PM »
Welcome Aboard James,

What area will you be fishing in?  the Shimano and the 8' rod would be good for plugging.  Just look at the rod and it should tell you the range for the lures.  Choose the lures that are around the middle of that range. and go from there.

BTW Your father's name would not be Rich would it?

More to come once I hear where you are targeting.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline jammss

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 10:29:56 PM »
DOnt know a Rich.Will be fishing Ocean City and surrounding areas. Go to school in NC so hopfully ill fish alot there too.Have a boat here but I still do alot of fishing off of it( all school year) so I need somthing versatile. So the Shimano set up is good... Now for the fi60, its fit 14lb at 275 so its a bigger reel. I think I have 15lb mono on it. I am leaning towards get a another ugly stick , was thinking 8 ft MH but they dont make it. I cant decide though MH or H, and 7 or 8?  
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 10:50:27 PM by jammss »

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 11:43:16 PM »
You do not want it to heavy especially if you are throwing plugs.  I use a 10' Tica with a Penn 560 slammer loaded with 40# Power Pro braid which has the diameter of around 8 to 10# mono.  It casts like a rocket.

If you are looking for the bigger it would be in that range.  Try to get the most bang for your buck.  Wal Mark stuff is great but as you progress you will see the difference by trying other anglers equipment.

Try to match all your gear by doing some research.  Look at the ratings on the rods and the ratings on the reels to put the besat line and lures on the end of the line.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-