Author Topic: Slow Fishing again for Flatties/Reel Fun Report 6/9  (Read 2233 times)

Offline ReelFun

• Capt John
Slow Fishing again for Flatties/Reel Fun Report 6/9
« on: June 09, 2010, 09:01:54 PM »
Had the Gary Rothrock party out today for a stab at the flatties, but to my surprise the fluke fishing was again slow, very slow. nosmly What the heck happened to the initial fluke run? It's sure not happening in the Sandy Hook area as of yet. Based upon some of the reports I've read, doesn't seem to be happening anywhere else either.

I know it's early in the season, but my records from last year show that by this time, my customers were getting some really nice keeper fish, of course with numerous throwbacks, but still able to box some quality flatties. So far in 2010, the fish have been small (14-16" on average) with few keepers that just make the 18" regulations in New Jersey.

But, as they say, tomorrow is another day. Another body of new fish could enter the bay at any time so we all have to be patient I guess. We had outgoing water all morning and the water temps passing the Earle pier was 70.8 degrees, surely warm enough to put these fish on the feed. Water clarity was good but the speed of the outgoing was a little slow (0.7 - 0.9 kts) for my liking. The bait of choice, once again, was bucktailing Spro's in the 3 - 4 oz range tipped with a Gulp Alive minnow with a teaser Clouser rig......our favorite when bucktailing. We also had 2 guys dragging bait with squid/sand eel combo which got hits too.

My "Thanks" to Gary for the gracious compliments slt.........we work that hard for everyone who fishes with us. We want to catch fish just as much as you do.

Tight Lines,
Capt. John

Offline hiking

• Super Hero Member
Re: Slow Fishing again for Flatties/Reel Fun Report 6/9
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 09:15:02 PM »
I was out today also, I fished the beach out front, and a lot of spots in the bay. no keepers for me .
Paul cell 908-415-9542

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 07:14:07 AM »
Any day now... rgmn rgmn rgmn

Hopefully it is break wide open soon, and when it does... clp
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 08:33:55 AM »
Fine report and a valiant effort Capt!  slt  Hopefully the bite heats up soon   chrz

Offline brian8980

• The Gimper
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 08:40:13 AM »
It sounds like I am not missing much at the moment with still trying to fish for stripers from the surf.  Me thinks it will be a week or so untill everything heats up  clp.  At least that is what uncle Al say anyways  ;D.

Gimper
The trouble with fishing is it was better before you got there, and after you left.
When in doubt...exaggerate

Offline Capt. Don Sr

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 03:35:53 PM »
You always give it your best,good try and good report.I hope things get better and soon.Tight Lines

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 09:34:02 PM »
 t^

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 10:29:36 PM »
slow down at the squan too capt...picking away

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-