Author Topic: RFA Members Urged to Call Governor Christie to Save I BOAT NJ  (Read 1001 times)

Offline The dropoff

• Sponsor
Recreational Fishing Alliance (NJ)
For Immediate Release
June 17, 2010     
 DEDICATED NJ BOATERS FUND TO GET RAIDED?

According to the Marine Trades Association of New Jersey (MTA/NJ), buried deep within this year's New Jersey budget proposal is a reduction in funds for the I BOAT NJ program.  I BOAT NJ is a dedicated account that utilizes a portion of New Jersey boater registration fees to reinvest grant funds to selected eligible applicants to promote, improve and enhance the marine industry in the State of New Jersey for the benefit of the general boating public.

Due to ongoing fiscal management problems in New Jersey, the Office of Management and Budget is looking to take much of the $2.5 million fund for the state's general fund, which would wipe out the entire program. The MTA/NJ has strongly opposed this and has been working with senior budget committee members to discuss the impact that a loss of funding would have on the many tax-saving and beneficial projects the program supports and urge them to save I Boat NJ, and they're urging members to help save the I BOAT NJ program by contacting Gov. Chris Christie's office.

In 2002, the state of New Jersey introduced a series of tax hikes to help balance the state's budget woes at the time, which included a 100% increase in boater registration fees.  "Our governor at the time, James McGreevey, proposed doubling the registration fees for recreational boats," said MTA/NJ Executive Director Melissa Danko in an article for Boat US magazine. "We weren't going to let that happen without a fight, unless, of course, we could get that money put back into boating," Danko said.  Through heavy lobbying effort by the MTA/NJ, the law was amended to dedicate those revenues derived from the fee increase into the Maritime Industry Fund I BOAT NJ, managed by the New Jersey Department of Transportation/Office of Maritime Resources (NJDOT/OMR).

Just three years after the McGreevey increase, the state began pumping $2.5 million back into the New Jersey boating community through the dedicated I Boat NJ initiative in 2005, a model program in the state which was designed to improve access to the water, beef up safety on the water and rehab channels under the water.  At the time, Danko told Boat US, "It's a great start but our state's boating infrastructure has been neglected for so long that we'll be playing catch-up for quite some time."  Six years after McGreevey's dramatic resignation from office, it appears that New Jersey's boaters may be entering a new period of neglect.

"We recognize that the current economic climate has severely impacted all areas of state government and that many drastic measures and budget cuts have been made; however, it is important to note that the I BOAT NJ Program is fully funded through vessel registration fees," Danko said in the release, adding "This is the only money the industry receives back.  MTA/NJ says that the I BOAT NJ program has funded many great projects over the past five years that have drastically improved and enhanced the recreational boating industry in NJ and positively impacted the lives of the thousands of people that depend on and enjoys our waterways.

"Whether you fish from a boat or along the beaches and bulkheads, this is clearly an attack on our entire fishing community in New Jersey and something which cannot be taken lying down," said Jim Donofrio, Executive Director of the Recreational Fishing Alliance.  "It's a perfect example of what happens to so-called dedicated funds when we pass from one administration to another, and I hope it sends a clear message to our New Jersey sportsmen that there is no such thing as a dedicated fund, even if written by law."  Donofrio points out that the New York Senate yesterday voted to repeal that state's marine fishing license law just 9 months into the program.  The ongoing repeal effort in Albany, NY is in response to overwhelming angler backlash there following misappropriation of license revenues and is awaiting Assembly action. 

MTA/NJ says boaters and members of the boating industry are being asked to take a moment to call 609-292-6000. "All you need to do is state that you are calling to urge the governor to save the I Boat NJ program and to not redirect all of these funds out of the program," Danko says in the release.

"The fishing community needs to stand together on this one and get that funding restored as defined by New Jersey law," Donofrio said.  "At times like this when our coastal economy is suffering and all eyes are on the oil tragedy to the south, to have our state government reach in and pick our pockets while we're looking the other way is offensive," he said. Visit the NJDOT Website for more information, or stop by the MTA/NJ homepage for details. 

Who to Call: 
 609-292-6000

What to Say:
"I'm calling to urge the governor to save the I BOAT NJ program, and not redirect those funds out of this dedicated program. I would also like to remind the governor that as a member of the Recreational Fishing Alliance, I Fish & I Vote.  Thank you." 

About Recreational Fishing Alliance
The Recreational Fishing Alliance is a national, grassroots political action organization representing recreational fishermen and the recreational fishing industry on marine fisheries issues. The RFA Mission is to safeguard the rights of saltwater anglers, protect marine, boat and tackle industry jobs, and ensure the long-term sustainability of our Nation's saltwater fisheries. For more information, call 888-JOIN-RFA or visit www.joinrfa.org.

Stay up to date with the happenings from RFA-NJ by visiting the RFA-NJ chapter homepage at www.rfanj.org.

Capt. Fran Verdi
Francesca Marie
27' CC May-Craft

RFA-NJ Member

We are now on Facebook come and be a fan. 

"I am a Fisherman and that is what I am"

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-