Author Topic: KIlling the Large "Trophy" Fish?  (Read 4666 times)

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
KIlling the Large "Trophy" Fish?
« on: July 26, 2010, 09:37:45 PM »
After the 2 comments here on the home page

http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=439&Itemid=1#comments

#2 Sean 2010-07-26 12:53
Very magnificiant billfish to bad it's dead. This is the problem with charter boats today, their will be no monsters like this for our children to catch. This having been said congradulations to the angler for a fine job. thanks,Capt,Sea n

#1 fred 2010-07-17 17:12
What's up with people killing big breeders that they have NO intention if eating? This one and the 60 pound striper should have both been released!!!

What are your feeling on keeping and killing these large fish?  Can fish this size even
survive a battle like the ones they were in?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 06:17:51 PM by Hotrod »

Offline WATSNEXT

• zee zeeee zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Re: KIlling the Large "Trophy" Fish?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 11:19:35 PM »
Nowhere did I read how the fish succumbed. Was it intentionally killed???Did it die in the fight??Or was it clubbed at the boat???

Of course a splendid creature as this Marlin should have been spared if possible. I think if it was killed for bragging rites , it's a very sad thing

Then again if harvested and not wasted I see no problem with the kill, Trucked off to the landfill after some pictures is something else.

Many Bill fish are killed in places as Cabo San Lucas but not one is wasted
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 11:22:37 PM by WATSNEXT »
Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.”
- Robert N. Rose

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 11:45:54 PM »
I am Pro C&R, but each individual has to do what his or her conscience dictates I guess.  I just think it is senseless to kill such a beautiful large specimen as that.  But that is my own personal feelings and feelings are not right nor are they wrong.  Plus I have yet heard one good reason to kill such a large fish such as the Marlin or the Striper.

My own $.02
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 12:13:30 PM »
i rather keep and eat the smaller one's.  Throw back the larger ones, UNLESS it is a trophy. 
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 12:30:18 PM »
I'd like to see the wall ya mount that 1020+ lb Blue Marlin on... fcp
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Jeffish

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 12:37:23 PM »
I have to catch fish first.

But let's say I actually do catch fish. I'd take as many pictures as I could for my trophy fish, maybe a scale shot or something, and then have a taxidermy make a replica of my catch. About a month or so ago when I was down LBI I watched a guy fillet a 50# + striper. That guy had all Van Staal reels, so I'm going to assume he was a hardcore fisherman.

All the captains I went out fishing with taught me to keep the ones that are around legal limit (on the plus side of course) , and throw back the big ones.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 06:44:03 PM »
 t^ slt
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline OceansBlue

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 08:58:46 AM »
It's my personal belief that Marlin (blue, black, white, stripe, shortnose & sailfish) should be considered a sporting fish, and not killed.  There's a measuring system that comes pretty close to the accuracy of their weight.  Measure them at the side of the boat, take a few pics, revive and release them. Then have a mold made.

When it comes to stripers and other fish that are good for eating, I wouldn't mind seeing slot regulations put on these fish, so that the big breeders aren't kept for the dinner table.
Life is a beach ... a walk in the sand, a tropical drink, a calypso band

Offline RuddeDogg

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 09:57:52 AM »
Well I can ONLY speak for me. If I were in that situation, I would release the fish., 
Polyneaisn Redneck

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 10:40:44 AM »
After the 2 comments here on the home page

http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=439&Itemid=1#comments

#2 Sean 2010-07-26 12:53
Very magnificiant billfish to bad it's dead. This is the problem with charter boats today, their will be no monsters like this for our children to catch.

Personally, i have released a 7oolb Blue Marlin at the Hudson Canyon...nice big breeder female.
now alot comes into play on this subject fellas ESPECIALLY in the billfish catagory.
With billfish and tunas, the length of the fight has alot to do with the mortality rate...the longer the fight, the higher the mortality rate goes up....i think we just assume that if we release a fish, it survives....not always the case.
anyone ever come up with half a tuna or even a sword or marlin on their line? hmmm...why is that?
thats because, the fish has weakened enough in the fight  that the sharks can get to them....not done intentionally on the anglers part, but nevertheless...would have not happened had a hook not been in the fish in the first place.
this debate can go on all the time...but i really think at least in the U.S.A we really do have conservation on our minds. Most tournaments are awarding points for release now.

what im saying is that there are alot of ways these fish die without intentionally meaning to do it. and if people blame charter boats and what not for it,they are OUT OF LINE... as just as many private boats go out for these fish now....and really dont know how to properly handle a big fish.... at the side of the boat or in a fight...in order to increase its chances of surviving! And if a big fish is dead at the side of the boat...i see no foul in bringing it home if regulations allow it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 01:31:00 PM by Hotrod »
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline hiking

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 01:28:16 PM »
the current weakfish situation should sum it all up.
Paul cell 908-415-9542

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-