Author Topic: From the Surf 10.21.10  (Read 1549 times)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
From the Surf 10.21.10
« on: October 20, 2010, 11:59:22 PM »
From the Surf

The mainland angler with that “Aloha Spirit”

By Paul Danielczyk

Well this week is turning out to be a real hum dinger.  Bait fish all over the place and huge blues hitting them till they are gorged and spitting out fish when landed.  This happened to me yesterday.  Landed a big 15# brought it to the beach and it exhaled a small weekie, unbelievable.  

Right now it seems that the best hot spot is the area from Lavallette to Barnegat Inlet.  There has been tons of fish taken at all times of the day but the last 2 days the afternoon blitz has been very noticeable.  The water temperature today was in and around 61 deg. With the waves almost non existent if you were looking for the waves to help in landing a good size fish, well forget it.  Today there were small rollers coning out of the south east and the water was very clear and a beautiful shade of green.

If you are throwing lead and bait a 3 or 4 oz weight is all you need to hold bottom with no problem.  The best bet on landing huge blues would be to throw just about any surface popper at them.  Color makes no difference as I have seen just about every color flying through the air in the past 3 days; so open your plug bag and close your eyes and tie any-one on.  

Down south it is almost the same thing, blues, blues, and more blues with a bass here and there.  Harold McMaster landed 2 bass at 24lbs 11oz and another at 21lbs 11oz and a blue at 12 lbs and 2oz in the Harvey Cedars on a live spot as reported by Fisherman Headquarters.  Nice going down there.

As far as up North, well it was put to me this way, no bait = no fish.  I have no idea what is going on up there but it seems like the fish are just bypassing that area and heading in further south.  If this keeps up guys I guess you will be spending gas money for the ride down this way for the fall season.

Depending on the weather on Thursday we probably can see a lot of the same going on.  Friday night is suppose to be the start of a good cool down so maybe just maybe the striped ones will start to show up on a more constant schedule.  You could look at the wind to be out of the northwest at 15 to 20 with gusts around 35.  I hope it brings some good bites all over the region.

I know this has nothing to do with surf fishing, well, maybe it does.  If you are interested in how to cast those long distances the Sportcast USA 2010 National Casting Tournament will be held this weekend.  Friday will pe their practice session and that will be from noon to 5:00PM.  The actual competition will be Saturday and Sunday from 9:00AM to 4:00PM.  The casting field will be at 1044 Tuckerton Road in Marlton, NJ.

I will be out there on Friday to watch a friend from Hawaii compete.  Plus, I will be trying to get some good pointers on my casting.  I might even get the line on my Penn 525 MAG changed to what they use in the tournament.  It is much lighter than I am used to but I guess it is all in the shock leader.  Good luck Don…

Happy Catching

Paul
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 11:59:57 PM by ped579 »
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: From the Surf 10.21.10
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 05:32:57 AM »
 t^

Offline Scott G.

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
Re: From the Surf 10.21.10
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 07:03:34 AM »
 TT^  NICE   TT^
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-