Author Topic: Veterans day fishing report  (Read 2260 times)

Offline makokeith

• Personal Best 38LBS
Veterans day fishing report
« on: November 12, 2010, 06:15:32 PM »
After looking at many forecasts I decided to give it a shot. Worse case was that I worked on the boat for a while to wait for the wind change in the afternoon. left at 8am and the wind was steady but not too bad. The bay had some chop but was no problem. Got around the hook and it was a different story. Huge swells and going against the wind and tide made it quite a trip out between the channels. Thank god the swells were not close together. Anyway we worked birds and got a bunch of keeper bass all morning. By noon it was nice out, the wind died and the tide was starting to turn but the bite slowed down and the birds all disappeared. We were jigging and my buddy Jerry was clamming frozen clams from the clam guy , from the 10$ red bag no less. Those mushy nasty clams, on the drifted, started getting bass. By other buddy started fishing them and catching. I wanted no part of it but after more bass and some moves looking for action I finally found birds that would not take the jig but loved those nasty clams. I switched over and soon started catching bass. About 430 we were about to head back when I saw more working south and we made one more run. The fish were on top so we threw plugs and Ken grabbed the fly rod. we all kept clams in and Jerry was on the jigs.The bass loved the small danny swimmers and a big pencil popper. The clams kept getting fish. Ava47 wtih green tail was also on. It was nuts for about 45 minutes. We were all alone too. Even the bluefish mixed in were welcome.   We boated at least ten bass each and numerous blues. All the bass but 2 or 3 were keeper sized around 30-34". Very fat bass except the ones with the sea lice on them.  Big bluefish around 8-10 lbs. All bass had sand eels.   Glad I decided to do the trip. Too bad for the 2 guys that did not come due to NOAA.  BTW there was only about 3 other small boats out there past the hook.   The funny thing of the day was the 13' Whaler with one guy fishing next to a couple party boats in the afternoon. He was solo, standing up and he disappeared with every swell. 
Keith
Franklin, N.J.
Proud member of the I.B.E.W. local 827

MAKO 250wa twin 150 E-tecs
  Happily fishing out of Atlantic Highlands Municiple Marina.

Offline Mark From PA

• Fresh Fish. Yummmmm
Re: Veterans day fishing report
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 08:20:28 PM »
nice report
1979 MFG, Ocean City, NJ

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 08:47:40 PM »
Nice Trip Kieth t^

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 10:11:13 PM »
Wow, Great report Kieth,  I was  calling around for members on vhf 68 but did not get any replies, That would have been a long bouncy trip for me to get to that area. Stinky clams worked?? wow.. t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline makokeith

• Personal Best 38LBS
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 10:18:50 PM »
Hey Ed.  I am always on 68. I also lost my phone so your # is gone as well.  text me .   I did hear some body calling out on 68 but they were really broken up,  other wise the radio was dead. Not many smaller boats out.
Keith
Franklin, N.J.
Proud member of the I.B.E.W. local 827

MAKO 250wa twin 150 E-tecs
  Happily fishing out of Atlantic Highlands Municiple Marina.

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 08:32:47 AM »
Killer day!  Nice work!
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 09:01:54 AM »
A great trip and catching  t^  Kez
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 01:42:40 PM »
 t^ Nice trip
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline JoeB213

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 06:04:54 PM »
Good job man, sometimes its worth the effort!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-